Rescue Dog Support Group
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Dog rescue blog
Jazz - Staffie, Bitch (4-5 Years) - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 10, 2014 3:14 am by chels335

» writing a book about rescue dogs
Jazz - Staffie, Bitch (4-5 Years) - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 12, 2013 9:14 am by pmbohio

» Mary Lou
Jazz - Staffie, Bitch (4-5 Years) - Page 2 EmptyTue Jul 23, 2013 9:18 am by Iloveotis

» Sponsored Walk on Sunday 23 June in aid of Tucker's TTA Surgery
Jazz - Staffie, Bitch (4-5 Years) - Page 2 EmptyMon Jul 08, 2013 9:33 pm by Ria

» Mary Lou
Jazz - Staffie, Bitch (4-5 Years) - Page 2 EmptySun Jul 07, 2013 2:50 pm by Iloveotis

» Looks like my fostering days are over
Jazz - Staffie, Bitch (4-5 Years) - Page 2 EmptySun Jul 07, 2013 4:38 am by Ria

» Denzil
Jazz - Staffie, Bitch (4-5 Years) - Page 2 EmptyTue May 28, 2013 7:50 am by Jackie

» Nico - Rhodesian Ridgeback, Dog (3 Years)
Jazz - Staffie, Bitch (4-5 Years) - Page 2 EmptyTue May 28, 2013 7:45 am by Jackie

» Walk on 26 May 2013 -Riverside walk from Blackstone, Bewdley to Arley and back
Jazz - Staffie, Bitch (4-5 Years) - Page 2 EmptyFri May 24, 2013 8:22 pm by elka

» British Camp from Hollybush - circular walk will now take place on 28 April 2013
Jazz - Staffie, Bitch (4-5 Years) - Page 2 EmptyMon Apr 08, 2013 6:56 am by Nina

» WALK CANCELLED
Jazz - Staffie, Bitch (4-5 Years) - Page 2 EmptySun Mar 24, 2013 6:10 am by Angela

» Walk on 24 March 2013 British Camp from Hollybush - circular walk
Jazz - Staffie, Bitch (4-5 Years) - Page 2 EmptySun Mar 24, 2013 6:08 am by Angela

» Wyre Forest - camping with the dogs
Jazz - Staffie, Bitch (4-5 Years) - Page 2 EmptySat Feb 09, 2013 7:05 am by Angela

» The Royal Forrester, Callow Hill, Bewdley
Jazz - Staffie, Bitch (4-5 Years) - Page 2 EmptySun Jan 27, 2013 3:12 am by Angela

» Food Aggression
Jazz - Staffie, Bitch (4-5 Years) - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 23, 2013 11:31 pm by Jackie

» Walk on Sunday 27 January 2013
Jazz - Staffie, Bitch (4-5 Years) - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 23, 2013 1:06 am by siandavis82

» Walk on Sunday 24 February 2013 - Yarpole Circular Route
Jazz - Staffie, Bitch (4-5 Years) - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 23, 2013 12:37 am by Ria

» Denzel - Working Cocker Spaniel, Dog (5 Years)
Jazz - Staffie, Bitch (4-5 Years) - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 22, 2013 9:57 pm by jesses mum

» Teeth
Jazz - Staffie, Bitch (4-5 Years) - Page 2 EmptySun Jan 13, 2013 6:14 am by AnnieP

» mug house Bewdley
Jazz - Staffie, Bitch (4-5 Years) - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 09, 2013 3:31 am by Ria

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Jazz - Staffie, Bitch (4-5 Years)

+4
Cari
jesses mum
julieb
Administrator
8 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Jazz - Staffie, Bitch (4-5 Years) - Page 2 Empty WOW

Post  jesses mum Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:38 am

A true success story & such a useful addition to the family!! I'm sure it's only a matter of time before she will not only be alerting Dad to the phone but fetching it as well!!!!

Look forward to meeting Jazz at the Fete & we are well practised in tummy rubs, I'm so glad that you are enjoying her so much.

jesses mum
Adopter

Back to top Go down

Jazz - Staffie, Bitch (4-5 Years) - Page 2 Empty Far Forest Day

Post  julieb Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:28 pm

We had a lovely day at the show yesterday and Jazz really enjoyed meeting up with a few of you and getting lots of fuss. She was very well behaved round the other dogs (and geese!!) despite being accused of something she didnt do by a lady who should have known better Mad but apology later in the day accepted Laughing !!

Bless her she didn't wag her tail much in the waggiest tail class but decided to rely on the wide smile approach Rolling Eyes so we will have to work on that ready for the fete Sunday lol! really looking forward to seeing you all and we are bringing some friends with us to so a bonus !! cheers
julieb
julieb
Adopter

Back to top Go down

Jazz - Staffie, Bitch (4-5 Years) - Page 2 Empty HAPPY LIFE

Post  Janet Mon Aug 22, 2011 5:04 am

Hi Julieb & Jazz was lovely to meet you at the FDR summer fete.Jazz looked really happy.I so admire you for giving a rescue dog a loving home.I wish Jazz a long & happy life.You truly are special people.X Lots of love from Baz also.Jazz - Staffie, Bitch (4-5 Years) - Page 2 100_0935

Janet
Fosterer

Back to top Go down

Jazz - Staffie, Bitch (4-5 Years) - Page 2 Empty Thank you Janet

Post  julieb Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:03 am

We had a lovely day at the fete and met lots of wonderful people and doggies, it was a real treat to meet Baz and his owners after reading so much about him. He is definately quite special and we hope he gets his forever home very soon !!

Jazz - Staffie, Bitch (4-5 Years) - Page 2 Dsc00810
julieb
julieb
Adopter

Back to top Go down

Jazz - Staffie, Bitch (4-5 Years) - Page 2 Empty Jazz and her ball

Post  julieb Thu Sep 08, 2011 8:34 am

julieb
julieb
Adopter

Back to top Go down

Jazz - Staffie, Bitch (4-5 Years) - Page 2 Empty and on the beach

Post  julieb Thu Sep 08, 2011 8:52 am

julieb
julieb
Adopter

Back to top Go down

Jazz - Staffie, Bitch (4-5 Years) - Page 2 Empty A wonderful dog

Post  julieb Thu Sep 29, 2011 1:41 am

Jazz still continues to give us soooo much pleasure and is forever looking for tummy rubs and fuss. She is fine being left although would prefer to be in the chair, must be more comfortable than her bed!!!! but with a little bit of coaxing she will move Laughing
Next door have recently taken in a dog and she is forever sniffing the air with a couple of barks to let him know she's there.

She certainly doesnt like cats affraid unfortunatly she beat us to the top of the garden the other day and caught one. The noise was aweful, Jazz had it pinned to the floor, I'm not sure she knew what to do with it once she had it but let go as soon as she was told. The cat ran for its life and Jazz was left with a couple of scratches on her tummy not really understanding what the fuss was about Embarassed .

When out walking she is very very inquisative about her surroundings and has run off a couple of times towards other dogs, which she is a bit hit and miss with so is kept on a lead if there is anyone else in the fields where we walk. At the couple of dog shows we have taken her to she is happy to meet some (she loved Baz) but not happy with others and can be snappy, even more reason to keep her on the lead. However not all dog walkers realise this and allow their dogs to run up to her, her reaction is not good. Sad In view of this we took her to see a dog behavoirist who confirmed her aggression is fear rather than anything else, he gave us some valuable information of how to deal with situations and suggested we change from a harness to a lead which sits higher up her neck than a collar and lead. This allows us much better control of her head area and provides us with confidence that we are in tighter control. It was also evident that it was the bouncier breed of dog which she has problems with.

Apart from this small blip which we will continue to work on we love her to bits and have hours of fun with her as do all our visitors including little Archie who is now walking and Jazz is really gentle with him and never pushes past him. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

julieb
julieb
Adopter

Back to top Go down

Jazz - Staffie, Bitch (4-5 Years) - Page 2 Empty I wish all adopters were as good as you!

Post  Ria Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:26 pm

Julie, your post makes me smile, because it is so indicative of how a lot of dogs behave. However, sadly, you are not indicative of how many people who adopt dogs behave. Many people give up at that first hurdle and bundle the dog back to kennels, without even trying to understand any challenging behaviour. They expect the perfect package from day 1.

Thanks to your calm and reasonable reaction, Jazz has the opportunity to better herself, and you have the opportunity to understand dog behaviour a little more. There are very few perfect dogs that react well in every situation. The key is to understand the triggers and to avoid the confrontation in the first place. What gets my goat most of all is dogs whose owners have no recall, and allow them to rush up to your dog. They think that because their dog is friendly, it's okay. Many times it is okay, but sometimes it isn't, and who gets the filthy look when your dog, who has been minding it's own business, goes off on one?

We are blessed that Jazz has such a caring and understanding family that understand her behaviour and can take on board the adjustments that are necessary. Well done you!
Ria
Ria
Fosterer

http://www.cyclone-technology.com

Back to top Go down

Jazz - Staffie, Bitch (4-5 Years) - Page 2 Empty Behaviour

Post  AnnieP Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:48 pm

Do so agree about accepting some behaviour. Ben is one of the loveliest dogs we've ever had, but we don't entirely trust him off the lead. We always look round to see if other dogs are on leads and if so we keep him on his. He loves a good run and needs one, of course, but as long as he's with us , he's perfectly happy to trot along on his lead. Sounds as if you're really enjoying Jazz, which is wonderful for all of you.

AnnieP
Adopter

Back to top Go down

Jazz - Staffie, Bitch (4-5 Years) - Page 2 Empty Thanks for reading

Post  julieb Fri Sep 30, 2011 3:10 am

Thank you both for reading and replying to the posts, it means a lot and confirms its worthwhile posting on here. I really enjoy reading all the stories (not so much the sad ones) and following the dogs and wish that we could take on another dog or foster
(I certainly know what I would do if I won the lottery lol).

You are so right about other dog walkers with no recall and it is really unfair and they should know better but we now know how to deal with it and also not to worry too much about other peoples reaction to us or Jazz or her breed! Walking with Jazz needs to be a pleasure for us and her, we now know some of what we were doing, like putting tension on the lead and holding onto her collar, was making the situation worse. The advice we were given all makes so much sense cheers

julieb
julieb
Adopter

Back to top Go down

Jazz - Staffie, Bitch (4-5 Years) - Page 2 Empty Poor Jazz

Post  julieb Sat Nov 26, 2011 2:21 am

Jazz has had a different couple of weeks, unfortunately Dad had a fall at home which eventually ended up with him in hospital for a short time (he's slowly recovering) this has meant we have had to leave Jazz for longer in the house than we would normally but she has been BRILLIANT Very Happy . She has been a little subdued not understanding the comings and goings but has loved "the chair" all to herself and the extra attention !!!

Dad is back home now with a couple of nurses visiting daily and Jazz being Jazz just rolls over and shows her belly for a good rub, she's a very good guard NOT Razz.

Today she has gone to the vets to be spayed and we cannot wait to pick her up - I only hope she doesnt think we've punished her for pouncing on a cat affraid this morning who was stupidly sitting outside our front door affraid as we went to get in the car - will update the thread later I love you
julieb
julieb
Adopter

Back to top Go down

Jazz - Staffie, Bitch (4-5 Years) - Page 2 Empty Re: Jazz - Staffie, Bitch (4-5 Years)

Post  julieb Sat Nov 26, 2011 2:23 am

Oh she lost a little bit of weight too as a certain person wasnt there to give treats Wink
julieb
julieb
Adopter

Back to top Go down

Jazz - Staffie, Bitch (4-5 Years) - Page 2 Empty Re: Jazz - Staffie, Bitch (4-5 Years)

Post  jesses mum Sat Nov 26, 2011 2:29 am

Oh I bet you can't wait to pick her up I hated waiting for mine...but everything will be fine i'm sure & she will soon come round & expect loads of pampering...I do hope Dad is feeling a little better I'm sure it will not be long before the Battle of the Chair returns!!!

jesses mum
Adopter

Back to top Go down

Jazz - Staffie, Bitch (4-5 Years) - Page 2 Empty So far so good

Post  julieb Sat Nov 26, 2011 9:55 am

All went well with her op, but when do her sorrowful accusing eyes turn back to normal Shocked lol. Am sat on the floor with her because she's not allowed to jump into "the chair" mmmmm not sure that will last long
julieb
julieb
Adopter

Back to top Go down

Post  jesses mum Sat Nov 26, 2011 10:02 am

so glad she's OK ..when i had my TWO done they ate each others lampshade things & I could hear them racing round & jumping on & off the furniture while i was at work down stairs...they are still here 11 years on so don't worry too much...being a staff i expect the sorrowful eyes will continue a while, at least until the next dinnertime.lol...

jesses mum
Adopter

Back to top Go down

Post  lucy_la_la Sat Nov 26, 2011 10:11 pm

Hi there
My beautiful Daisy has just been spayed and she was so upset when we first picked her up from the vets but I can assure you she was back to normal in no time and it was hard to keep her rested. She had her stitches out on Thursday and is doing brilliantly. Get well soon, Jazz I love you

lucy_la_la
Adopter

Back to top Go down

Jazz - Staffie, Bitch (4-5 Years) - Page 2 Empty Help needed please

Post  julieb Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:16 pm

Jazz - Staffie, Bitch (4-5 Years) - Page 2 426192085 Jazz continues to be a wonderful companion in every way and she lives for her tummy rubs, walks and cuddles. She hates it when football is on the TV as she doesn’t like the noise or reactions and will run to her bed if anyone shouts/cheers or if anyone raises their voice in discussion. She will come back if called and I usually sit in another room with her.

At the beginning of November she was spayed, this unfortunately coincided with Dad being taken ill and having to stay in hospital for a number of days on quite a few occasions (still ongoing).

Shortly after this Jazz started to rip her bedding, scratch really badly making herself sore under her neck and underarms and more recently to “steal” and rip shoes apart, she has never done this before and it is not confined to when we are not there. (Normally she would spend the day with Dad in his chair). We have left her for long periods before and she has been fine. We went away with her to the seaside at Christmas for 5 days and she was also fine then.

Her flea treatment is up to date, in fact the vet gave us a stronger treatment which included treatment for mites because of her scratching and we have not changed washing powder or her food.

She also holds her head very low and looks really sad at times, it is horrible to see her so sad. Sad We have given her an old t-shirt to sleep with, so she has our smells with her.

Maybe a silly question but could she be suffering from depression due to changes and our anxiety, any suggestions would be really appreciated to make our little girls life a bit easier with what’s going on and bring her back to a happy place.

Jazz - Staffie, Bitch (4-5 Years) - Page 2 1956175960
julieb
julieb
Adopter

Back to top Go down

Post  Ria Thu Jan 12, 2012 12:21 am

Before I start, can I just say that these are entirely my random thoughts, and not in any way 'qualified' answers to your questions. A behaviourist may be able to shed more light on to the matter.

Having met Jazz, and seeing her nipples, I believe she may have had a number of litters in the past. Given her age, I would also say she was probably just over the peak of her fertility when she was spayed, so there are massive hormonal changes, the effect of which should not be underestimated. Coupled with this is the change in her normal routine.

I wonder also if the skin condition could be linked to the spaying, because oestrogen certainly has an effect on the condition of the skin in humans, and I have no reason to believe it works any differently with dogs.

Dogs do pick up on our own anxiety, and she will be missing her regular routine with your dad.

If she was my dog, I would look into nutritional supplements (the doggy equivalent of evening primrose or natural plant oestrogens) to help with the hormonal imbalance. This could have an effect on the 'depression' and skin condition. I would also research the use of a DAP spray or diffuser.

Hope this helps.
Ria
Ria
Fosterer

http://www.cyclone-technology.com

Back to top Go down

Post  AnnieP Thu Jan 12, 2012 12:37 am

Ben's tummy was almost bald when we had him, but I give him a teaspoon of cod liver oil with his dry food and there is a wonderful improvement. He doesn't scratch now and his coat is in very good condition. Also, of course, it makes him enjoy the dry food a bit more. Morrisons do their own brand which is much cheaper than Seven Seas.

AnnieP
Adopter

Back to top Go down

Jazz - Staffie, Bitch (4-5 Years) - Page 2 Empty Thank you

Post  julieb Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:27 am

Thank you for your thoughts and advice - we will give anything a try, she has been to see the vet and they thought it might be an allergy and wanted a lot of money to do tests but we thought we would seek your advice first and try other things as it all seems to coincide with the events.
pup
julieb
julieb
Adopter

Back to top Go down

Post  jesses mum Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:56 am

if they thought it was an allergy you could try Piraton my JR has one a day in May as she is allergic to a pollen that is about then...it works for her so might be worth a try

jesses mum
Adopter

Back to top Go down

Jazz - Staffie, Bitch (4-5 Years) - Page 2 Empty Much better !!

Post  julieb Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:32 am

Thank you for your advice we are now giving her cod liver oil - she loves it and her coat is really shiny Thanks . We also purchased some tea tree spray and that really seems to have done the job - no more nasty scratches one dancing dog .
julieb
julieb
Adopter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2