» Sponsored Walk on Sunday 23 June in aid of Tucker's TTA Surgery
Teeth EmptyMon Jul 08, 2013 9:33 pm by Ria

» Mary Lou
Teeth EmptySun Jul 07, 2013 2:50 pm by Iloveotis

» Looks like my fostering days are over
Teeth EmptySun Jul 07, 2013 4:38 am by Ria

» Denzil
Teeth EmptyTue May 28, 2013 7:50 am by Jackie

» Nico - Rhodesian Ridgeback, Dog (3 Years)
Teeth EmptyTue May 28, 2013 7:45 am by Jackie

» Walk on 26 May 2013 -Riverside walk from Blackstone, Bewdley to Arley and back
Teeth EmptyFri May 24, 2013 8:22 pm by elka

» British Camp from Hollybush - circular walk will now take place on 28 April 2013
Teeth EmptyMon Apr 08, 2013 6:56 am by Nina

» WALK CANCELLED
Teeth EmptySun Mar 24, 2013 6:10 am by Angela

» Walk on 24 March 2013 British Camp from Hollybush - circular walk
Teeth EmptySun Mar 24, 2013 6:08 am by Angela

» Wyre Forest - camping with the dogs
Teeth EmptySat Feb 09, 2013 7:05 am by Angela

» The Royal Forrester, Callow Hill, Bewdley
Teeth EmptySun Jan 27, 2013 3:12 am by Angela

» Food Aggression
Teeth EmptyWed Jan 23, 2013 11:31 pm by Jackie

» Walk on Sunday 27 January 2013
Teeth EmptyWed Jan 23, 2013 1:06 am by siandavis82

» Walk on Sunday 24 February 2013 - Yarpole Circular Route
Teeth EmptyWed Jan 23, 2013 12:37 am by Ria

» Denzel - Working Cocker Spaniel, Dog (5 Years)
Teeth EmptyTue Jan 22, 2013 9:57 pm by jesses mum

» Teeth
Teeth EmptySun Jan 13, 2013 6:14 am by AnnieP

» mug house Bewdley
Teeth EmptyWed Jan 09, 2013 3:31 am by Ria

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Teeth

Go down

Teeth Empty Teeth

Post  AnnieP on Sun Dec 30, 2012 5:44 am

Ben hates having his teeth cleaned,has anyone tried the dental kings ?

AnnieP
Adopter

Back to top Go down

Teeth Empty Re: Teeth

Post  Jackie on Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:09 am

Our vet said bones were the best toothbrush for dogs.
Jackie
Jackie

Back to top Go down

Post  AnnieP on Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:00 am

Yes, we've been told to give him raw chicken wings which we have done, but our daughter has him when we go away and doesn't give them to her two Springers, so I don't expect her to give them to Ben, but he then is looking for one and is a real pest every time she opens a fridge or cupboard. I ran out over Christmas and experienced this obssesive behaviour , so iv'e stopped it. I'm now trying dental sticks, but wondered if any brand was better than another.

AnnieP
Adopter

Back to top Go down

Post  Jackie on Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:17 am

When you give a dog something once, it becomes the law!

There was an article in a gun magazine about dental hygiene for dogs (it's more of a sporting gun magazine) and there was a Q&A section with experts doing the answering. One vet didn't recommend using dentastiks because apparently they don't actually clean teeth. They offered an alternative and I can't remember what it was & unfortunately dad left the magazine in his work lorry.

The wacky snacks on this site are meant to help with teeth cleaning. I bought some for Nico's Christmas present and you get about five to a pack of various sizes. They're not massive chews and would probably last about the same as a dentastik. Nico enjoyed them but his teeth are very clean anyway so I don't know if they really work. Delivery was quick, considering it was Christmas time. Not sure if your daughter would want to use them when she's looking after Ben though but here's the site

http://www.venisonforpets.co.uk/product_range.php
Jackie
Jackie

Back to top Go down

Post  AnnieP on Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:25 am

Thanks Jacky,the other thing I've seen is a dental Kong and wondered if anyone had tried one ?

AnnieP
Adopter

Back to top Go down

Post  Jackie on Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:28 am

Just did a quick internet search and apparently, pedigree dentastiks are actually just a tasty chew and not much good at teeth cleaning.

Dental kongs are meant to be really good. A friend of mine uses them, but Nico hasn't had one. He does have a lot of rope tug toys and the label says they're good for cleaning teeth - not sure how, but he has shiny gnashers Very Happy
Jackie
Jackie

Back to top Go down

Post  Ria on Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:00 pm

No, Anne!! Go back to the natural teeth cleaners, i.e. the chicken wings. These 'dental' sticks are so full of calories and preservatives. Use the chicken wing as something that will make Ben go to his bed at night without any fuss. We do the same with Tucker (although not with a chicken wing) - his key words are, "What do you get when you go to bed?" and he rushes to his bed in the kitchen. The funny thing is that if he has a pee before his last one of the night, he shoots to the kitchen thinking he's getting his treat and looks so miserable when he has to then retrace his steps back to the lounge! If Ben knows that his chicken wing comes last thing at night, he will quickly respond.

We cannot feed chicken wings to Tucker as he downs them in one - any treat barely touches the sides. We were told to try raw chicken carcasses and he loves them (and so does Phoebe), although they are a rarer treat. We feed the dogs a raw diet, although with Tucker we have to add hard food as well, as he eats so much and has to maintain his weight with all the exercise he gets, and the problem of his weight maintenance when he first came into foster. Phoebe is on full raw and her teeth are sparkly white (she's five and a half). We get the chicken carcasses from the raw food distributor (a local dog kennels in Blackwardeine, who are also a top breeder and trainer of Belgian Shepherds), and the biggest problem is storage, because they come in a bag of about 40-50 carcasses, so it takes a lot of freezer space. They are really cheap though (£7 a bag), and sometimes we are lucky and they come with the breast fillets still attached (they're from a local chicken producer). I have to admit, being a non meat eater, bagging up and freezing the carcasses has to be one of the most horrible jobs. The things you do for your dogs, Smile

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
wag LIFE'S TOO SHORT - PUT UP OR SHUT UP! wag
Ria
Ria
Fosterer

http://www.cyclone-technology.com

Back to top Go down

Post  AnnieP on Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:15 pm

Struck a chord there Ria. I'm a meat eater, so bag the wings up separately, but Dave turns into a contortionist trying to give it to Ben without touching it.I'm quite happy with Ben's food, but he wont let me clean his teeth. good idea to try the wing at night,

AnnieP
Adopter

Back to top Go down

Post  AnnieP on Sun Jan 13, 2013 6:14 am

Well, the dental Kong seems quite good. Lots of ridges, which I smear with dog toothpaste and Ben chews on it for ages. Even the ridges on their own would help keep the teeth clean so we'll see how it goes.

AnnieP
Adopter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down