Latest topics
» Dog rescue blog
Baz - Staffie Lab X, Dog (3-4 Years)  EmptyMon Mar 10, 2014 3:14 am by chels335

» writing a book about rescue dogs
Baz - Staffie Lab X, Dog (3-4 Years)  EmptyThu Sep 12, 2013 9:14 am by pmbohio

» Mary Lou
Baz - Staffie Lab X, Dog (3-4 Years)  EmptyTue Jul 23, 2013 9:18 am by Iloveotis

» Sponsored Walk on Sunday 23 June in aid of Tucker's TTA Surgery
Baz - Staffie Lab X, Dog (3-4 Years)  EmptyMon Jul 08, 2013 9:33 pm by Ria

» Mary Lou
Baz - Staffie Lab X, Dog (3-4 Years)  EmptySun Jul 07, 2013 2:50 pm by Iloveotis

» Looks like my fostering days are over
Baz - Staffie Lab X, Dog (3-4 Years)  EmptySun Jul 07, 2013 4:38 am by Ria

» Denzil
Baz - Staffie Lab X, Dog (3-4 Years)  EmptyTue May 28, 2013 7:50 am by Jackie

» Nico - Rhodesian Ridgeback, Dog (3 Years)
Baz - Staffie Lab X, Dog (3-4 Years)  EmptyTue May 28, 2013 7:45 am by Jackie

» Walk on 26 May 2013 -Riverside walk from Blackstone, Bewdley to Arley and back
Baz - Staffie Lab X, Dog (3-4 Years)  EmptyFri May 24, 2013 8:22 pm by elka

» British Camp from Hollybush - circular walk will now take place on 28 April 2013
Baz - Staffie Lab X, Dog (3-4 Years)  EmptyMon Apr 08, 2013 6:56 am by Nina

» WALK CANCELLED
Baz - Staffie Lab X, Dog (3-4 Years)  EmptySun Mar 24, 2013 6:10 am by Angela

» Walk on 24 March 2013 British Camp from Hollybush - circular walk
Baz - Staffie Lab X, Dog (3-4 Years)  EmptySun Mar 24, 2013 6:08 am by Angela

» Wyre Forest - camping with the dogs
Baz - Staffie Lab X, Dog (3-4 Years)  EmptySat Feb 09, 2013 7:05 am by Angela

» The Royal Forrester, Callow Hill, Bewdley
Baz - Staffie Lab X, Dog (3-4 Years)  EmptySun Jan 27, 2013 3:12 am by Angela

» Food Aggression
Baz - Staffie Lab X, Dog (3-4 Years)  EmptyWed Jan 23, 2013 11:31 pm by Jackie

» Walk on Sunday 27 January 2013
Baz - Staffie Lab X, Dog (3-4 Years)  EmptyWed Jan 23, 2013 1:06 am by siandavis82

» Walk on Sunday 24 February 2013 - Yarpole Circular Route
Baz - Staffie Lab X, Dog (3-4 Years)  EmptyWed Jan 23, 2013 12:37 am by Ria

» Denzel - Working Cocker Spaniel, Dog (5 Years)
Baz - Staffie Lab X, Dog (3-4 Years)  EmptyTue Jan 22, 2013 9:57 pm by jesses mum

» Teeth
Baz - Staffie Lab X, Dog (3-4 Years)  EmptySun Jan 13, 2013 6:14 am by AnnieP

» mug house Bewdley
Baz - Staffie Lab X, Dog (3-4 Years)  EmptyWed Jan 09, 2013 3:31 am by Ria

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Baz - Staffie Lab X, Dog (3-4 Years)

Page 1 of 13 1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Go down

Baz - Staffie Lab X, Dog (3-4 Years)  Empty Baz - Staffie Lab X, Dog (3-4 Years)

Post  Administrator on Tue May 24, 2011 8:31 pm

Baz - Staffie Lab X, Dog (3-4 Years)  Baz11

Baz - Staffie Lab X, Dog (3-4 Years)  Baz210Baz - Staffie Lab X, Dog (3-4 Years)  Baz310
Baz is a wonderful dog who loves everyone. He has bags of energy so will need lots of regular exercise and someone to continue his training to keep him in good stead. He is very responsive and will do anything for lots of praise and a cuddle! He is excellent off the lead and is extremely friendly with most dogs.

He has been in foster care since June 2011, so has improved in all areas of training. He really is a fantastic companion, who will stay close at all times. You really can't get a more road tested dog than this!

Last edited by Forest Dog Rescue on Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:31 am; edited 1 time in total

Administrator
Admin

http://www.forest-dog-rescue.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Baz - Staffie Lab X, Dog (3-4 Years)  Empty Re: Baz - Staffie Lab X, Dog (3-4 Years)

Post  Administrator on Tue May 24, 2011 10:01 pm

Baz - Staffie Lab X, Dog (3-4 Years)  Baz_110

Administrator
Admin

http://www.forest-dog-rescue.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Baz - Staffie Lab X, Dog (3-4 Years)  Empty Baz

Post  rosietaylor on Wed May 25, 2011 6:33 am

Poor Baz right from when he came into the kennels he held a special place in my heart. There was some thing about him. He is a bit of a rogue, an unruly teenage and has that lost look.
He has pink pads so his feet always seemed to be sore especially when he first arrived. They've improved and hardened off quite a lot during his stay. For a while he was in the stable in a crate to try and help them heal and I would end up carrying him across the gravel so he wouldn't hurt his feet. Soft touch I know. But one look and I was sunk.
Baz is food led he will do anything if he thinks he's going to get a treat. He can be a minx on the lead when he has a walker he thinks he can get round he jumps up and bites the lead. But if you show him a closed fist with a treat in he immediately sits to attention letting go of the lead and then I tell him firmly "no" and that he can have a treat if he behaves. Amazingly 9 times out of 10 it works. On going training!!!!!
One exception he's not keen on the vet, and is sensitive about being held by his collar. But all these things can be sorted. He is very very stressed in the Kennels to the point that he has been gnawing his feet and he eats his poo ( not nice). I have put him on rescue remedy and he's having skullcap and valerian tablets to relieve the stress. Also when I get time he has a lavender and baby oil massage which he loves.
He loves to play ball and will give it back ( for a treat of course). I have had him off the lead many times on the big fields and he never goes very far and always comes back.
He is usually good natured and doesn't seem to bother with other dogs. He does need firm guide lines and calm handling if you get hyper so does he. But he's on my list to take out and assess out side the kennels. so watch this space!!!!

rosietaylor

Back to top Go down

Baz - Staffie Lab X, Dog (3-4 Years)  Empty Kids too

Post  kimmal on Sat May 28, 2011 5:32 am

And he is very good with children.....gentle and playful x
kimmal
kimmal

Back to top Go down

Baz - Staffie Lab X, Dog (3-4 Years)  Empty A wonderful playtime

Post  Ria on Thu Jun 02, 2011 5:39 am

I have walked Baz before with Phoebe, but last time we couldn't get into the playpen. Today it was our first stop, because Baz came out of his kennel like he was on speed - spinning and turning and raring to go. We got into the playpen, and I let both him and Phoebe off their leads, and for the next ten minutes I was stood looking like a spare part holding a ball, ready to throw, while Baz and Phoebe were having the time of their life running round and round and round. It was the perfect way for Baz to burn off some energy.

We then walked around the paddocks, and Baz was much calmer. I actually tied the two leads together and off the pair of them went at their own speed.

Baz is suffering terrible stress in the kennels, and his skin has become very inflamed. His tummy was hot, and looks very sore, and he was lying in the long grass and pulling himself along on his tum. It was obviously nice and cool. He has also been nibbling all his paws to the point where they are raw. Lisa came over with the pot of sudocrem and together we managed to distract him with tummy rubs whilst liberally rubbing the cream all over him. He did manage to turn the grass white by pulling himself on his tum again, but what the hell - we managed to get some on him too!

Baz is such a deserving case for a forever home, and I can't stress enough how much he needs to find a home soon. He is full of fun, such a handsome boy, and desperately wants to please you.

Please, please, please, if you can offer this boy a home, get in touch with the kennels. Baz needs you NOW!
Ria
Ria
Fosterer

http://www.cyclone-technology.com

Back to top Go down

Baz - Staffie Lab X, Dog (3-4 Years)  Empty Re: Baz - Staffie Lab X, Dog (3-4 Years)

Post  Julie on Fri Jun 03, 2011 6:48 pm

He sounds like a real darling - I guess a foster home as a stop-gap would be of benefit to him too?
Julie
Julie

http://www.belyaevrats.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Baz - Staffie Lab X, Dog (3-4 Years)  Empty What a good lad this dog is

Post  Ria on Mon Jun 06, 2011 2:35 am

We turned up at the kennels this morning and asked Karen to get Baz out for us so that we could treat him to a nice long walk in the Wyre Forest. It took a while to get Baz harnessed up (first harness was too big), as he must have sensed he was going somewhere nice and he got very excited. We decided to burn some energy off first by letting him and Phoebe have a good run round the play pen, and after 5 minutes he was suitably calm enough to load in the car.

First of all, he travels extremely well in the car. Although he was stood up most of the time on the back seat, he didn't move from his spot and took great interest in the passing scenery.

Once we got to the Wyre Forest, he was totally calm, and I managed to set his harness snugly, whereas at the kennels he'd been too excited to get it done easily.

Once into the forest, after half an hour of constantly checking his recall, we took him off the extending lead and kept a very close eye on his recall with treats. He walked absolutely beautifully, and you could sense the sheer joy of him being properly out of kennels for the first time in a year. He was obedient and never strayed more than 30 feet away, usually when he was left sniffing all the interesting smells. A quick shout and he soon caught up. He loved the water, as did Phoebe. The muddier, the better, and soon both of them were a shade of brown and grey. The water seemed to fire them up for play, and the two of them ran backwards and forwards in the forest having the most wonderful time. You do have to be careful when he is running at full speed, because he will not take account if you are directly in his path. He's like one of those dogs you often see on You've Been Framed that would just take someone's feet from underneath them! Hey, maybe he could earn you a bob or two...? Laughing What a good return on investment!!

Baz met dogs VERY well. He was inquisitive, and approached them slowly, and there was never a sign of any aggression, even when a dog was particularly nasty with him - he merely gave it a wide berth and carried on. His only downfall was his joy at meeting other dogs - he wanted to carry on walking with them, and a number of times I had to go over and bring him back. He wasn't in any way a nuisance though, and people took it in very good humour. I kept telling them that he was a rescue dog on his first trip out, and he was obviously looking for his forever home and obviously they had passed his test. A lot of people stopped and chatted, and we gave them the details of the rescue and asked them to bear the rescue in mind if they or their friends were looking for a new dog.

Baz does have a habit of jumping up at people when they pet him. He doesn't bowl them over, just puts his front paws up on their waist. He definitely needs some training in that department, but again people took it in very good spirits because he was so well behaved, despite them having nice muddy paw prints on their shirts!

After two hours in the forest, we were all pretty knackered, but Baz loved every minute. It had rained quite hard at times, but none of us cared because it was very mild. However, when we were driving away the car was completely steamed up. Baz did wimper a bit on the way back, but again he was very well behaved on the back seat and didn't move around at all.

When we got back to the kennels, he was so muddy that I got him into the wash room and washed him down with a wet towel - he wasn't quite in the mood for a shower. I then dried him off and got the pot of Sudocrem on his tummy. He loved the massage and was such a good boy, and I managed to get a nice big dollop of the cream massaged all over his tummy and around the tops of his legs.

A final kiss and a cuddle and he was back in his kennel for his dinner. I passed Karen a nice rawhide chew for his night time treat, and it was with a very heavy heart that we left him.

WHY, OH WHY HAS THIS DOG BEEN OVERLOOKED FOR A YEAR? HE IS LUSH. HE IS SO DESERVING OF A FOREVER HOME. PLEASE BELIEVE ME WHEN I SAY THE DOG YOU SEE AT THE KENNELS IS NOT A REPRESENTATION OF THE DOG AWAY FROM THE KENNEL ENVIRONMENT, AND GIVE HIM A CHANCE. HE IS SO KEEN TO PLEASE AND WOULD MAKE A WONDERFUL ADDITION TO A HOME. IT'S SO UNFAIR.

I would place Baz in any environment where he would be given nice long walks and plenty of attention. He would not suit a family with young children, as he could easily knock youngsters flying when he is playing. He has no spacial awareness when he is running. He was actually fantastic on the lead in the forest. We didn't use the harness, as I like the freedom of an extending lead, and with harnesses the lead tends to wrap around their front when they change direction. In the kennels I know he is a pulling dog on the slip chain, but that's just because he is so happy to be out. Out of that environment he is totally different. [/color]

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, IF YOU ARE LOOKING FOR A DOG WITH BAGS OF PERSONALITY, CONSIDER BAZ.

WE NEED TO GIVE THIS DOG A CHANCE TO GET OUT OF KENNELS AND FIND HIS FOREVER HOME. IT'S BEEN TOO LONG AND HE DESERVES A LOVING HOME

Last edited by Ria on Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:13 am; edited 3 times in total
Ria
Ria
Fosterer

Back to top Go down

Baz - Staffie Lab X, Dog (3-4 Years)  Empty Photos

Post  Ria on Mon Jun 06, 2011 3:18 am

Apologies for the quality - taken on the mobile!

Baz - Staffie Lab X, Dog (3-4 Years)  Img00012

Baz - Staffie Lab X, Dog (3-4 Years)  Img00013

Baz - Staffie Lab X, Dog (3-4 Years)  Img00014

Baz - Staffie Lab X, Dog (3-4 Years)  Img00015

Baz - Staffie Lab X, Dog (3-4 Years)  Img00016
Ria
Ria
Fosterer

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie on Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:09 am

Aww he is just gorjusss! lol

I'll race you to see who gets a free foster place first......
Julie
Julie

Back to top Go down

Post  rosietaylor on Mon Jun 06, 2011 5:55 am

Still can't believe Baz made it to the forest it is so wonderful for him!!!! Bless him he came back and within 5 minutes he'd done 3 poos in his kennel. I think he'd been so happy outside he'd forgotten to stop and do it. All afternoon he's been stood on 2 feet at his door waiting to go back out. He is such a good boy, thank you for believing in him !!! I think we'll definately have to get him out again. It's so amazing how different these dogs are out of the kennel environment how willing they are to please, play and love. What's sad is for everyone we rehome it replaced so quickly by 3 others all equally as wonderful and all as equally deserving.

rosietaylor

Back to top Go down

Baz - Staffie Lab X, Dog (3-4 Years)  Empty Weekend Guest

Post  Ria on Sat Jun 18, 2011 9:22 am

Baz has got a get out of jail free ticket for the weekend. We picked him up this evening. We should have taken Phil's car, because Baz, Vik, Phoebe, me and Phil in a Honda Civic is a sight to behold Laughing Laughing Laughing The journey home was eventful, to say the least. Baz was sort of on my knee in the front seat and Vik and Phoebe were trying to join him. We had a few altercations, but in the end Baz decided that the back seat looked more inviting, so he ignored Vik's growls and jumped through to the back. Phoebe took the opportunity to avoid any testerone fuelled fights on the back seat and jumped into the vacant spot.

When we got home we let all the dogs have a run round the garden. Vik hasn't quite mastered play yet, and there were a few altercations. Baz and Phoebe were playing chase for over an hour. I was exhausted just watching them.

Baz definitely needs to be taught the off command, as he does like to jump up to say hello. Vik was very quick to chastise him every time he did it, and Baz soon took the hint. It is quite amusing that our Vik is teaching Baz manners.

Baz is like a walking disaster area. He has walked into the French doors three times, and has hit his head on the glass tables more times than I can count. It has obviously been a very long time since he's been in a house. I look at him now, fast asleep on a nice comfy bed, and my heart breaks for him. He so needs a loving forever home. A year is just too long to be locked up every night in kennels.

He is a lovely dog. He looks at your with such gorgeous eyes and a wonderful expressive brow. He is curious and investigates everything.

Tomorrow we are taking him to the opening of the Ludlow shop. I will walk him around the town in a "I need a home" coat, and hope that I can generate some interest in him. Let's all keep our fingers and toes crossed that somebody falls in love with him and gives him the break he needs.

Baz - Staffie Lab X, Dog (3-4 Years)  Dsc04410
Ria
Ria
Fosterer

Back to top Go down

Baz - Staffie Lab X, Dog (3-4 Years)  Empty What a fun day!

Post  Ria on Sun Jun 19, 2011 5:17 am

Baz slept well in the extra large crate. He cried for about 15 minutes when we put him to bed, then slept soundly through the night. He was pleased to see me this morning, and had a great play in the garden with Phoebe at 7am.

Breakfast was prepared for the dogs. We went through the routine of him not having his food until he had sat quietly and was not rushing towards it when I attempted to put it down. It took a little while, but he got it in the end, and waited reasonably well when I put it down. After every meal I always give the dogs a small raw chicken wing, which cleans their teeth a treat. All my foster dogs have really enjoyed it, but Baz was quite unsure. Although he took it, and put it on the floor, he knew it was enough of a bounty to growl to say it was his. It took him quite a while before he actually ate it, with Vik and Phoebe hovering in the hope that he didn't want it. No such luck!!

I decided that if Baz was to meet his public, then he would need a spruce up, as he had a strong odour of eau de kennel, so it was in the shower with him. He was not amused, although the actual shampooing and massage he enjoyed. He was like one of those dogs that goes crazy at the vacuum, but in his case it was the shower head. He was growling and snapping at it, so I put the overhead shower on, until he got used to the water, then used the shower head right against his skin. He was pretty relaxed by the end of it, and I managed to get him smelling a whole lot sweeter than when he arrived!

By 10am we were ready for the off. First stop was the forest to tire them out. Vik was already at full stretch on the back seat by the time Baz was ready to jump in, and Vik was none too amused when he did so, and there was a handbags at dawn altercation. We decided to put a bed in the back of the Jeep for Baz, and he was happy to jump in through the boot. He alternated between lying down on the bed, and sitting up and watching the world go by....
Baz - Staffie Lab X, Dog (3-4 Years)  Dsc04415

If I stare at Vik long enough, he might swap places with me....

When we got to the forest, it was absolutely chucking it down with rain, so we sat in the car waiting for it to pass. After about ten minutes, the sun came out, so we got out of the car, and had a fun two hours trekking through the forest, with two visits to Peelers Pond en route....

Baz - Staffie Lab X, Dog (3-4 Years)  Dsc04416

Baz - Staffie Lab X, Dog (3-4 Years)  Dsc04417

Baz - Staffie Lab X, Dog (3-4 Years)  Dsc04418

By the end of the two hours, all three dogs were soaked through to the skin having had tons of fun in the pond, and it was a hell of a job getting them dry in the back of the car before we set off for Ludlow.

When we got to Ludlow, we left Vik and Phoebe snoring in the back of the car, and put Baz's I need a Home coat on and headed over to the shop to collect some leaflets. Even before we'd got to the shop, a lot of people were asking about Baz, and I was telling them how he has spent over a year in kennels, and has been overlooked time and time again. People were amazed and saddened, and I hope that there will be some interest in him.

We then put the coat on Vik and spent another hour in Ludlow, walking around, talking to people and handing out leaflets. The best bit was when we stopped at the square for a pizza from our friend Angus, who owns the most fab Artisan Pizza van on the square. Lots of people came up and enquired, particularly about Vik (no surprise there!), but I was more keen to talk to them about Baz. We handed out leaflets and suggested that people look at the threads for both dogs. We also got quite a few enquiries about Phoebe, but had to tell them that she wasn't a rescue dog, although all sensible offers would be considered (only joking, Feebs!).

We finally left Ludlow at around 3pm. All the dogs were absolutely knackered (and so were we!!)....

Baz - Staffie Lab X, Dog (3-4 Years)  Dsc04510

On the way home, I telephoned the kennels to say that we would keep hold of Baz until tomorrow.

So, a recap of how we've found Baz's behaviour and temperament in the last 24 hours:

• Good on and off the lead, although he can pull when he is excited
  • He travels very well in the car
  • He has a tendancy to jump up, which is his major failing, but if you think about it, being a year in kennels and trying to get attention whenever someone passes by, what do you expect? In a short time, he is listening to the off command (although not always paying attention!), and I am sure that he is trainable with consistent handling
  • So far he has been clean in the house
  • He gets on well with Phoebe, but he is taking longer to gel with Vik. Nothing nasty, but there is definitely a male dominance thing going on with both of them
  • He is not as hyper as everyone seems to think. He loves his exercise, but he also loves his bed. This could be related to the fact that this is an adult only household, and we are quite chilled at home
  • He meets people very well, although he does want to bring himself up to their level
  • He is keen to see what is on the worktops
  • He is very keen to be by your side, and is curious about his surroundings
I will be very sad to see him go back to kennels tomorrow, but he definitely deserves a forever home or a foster placement to relieve his stress of kennel life.
Ria
Ria
Fosterer

Back to top Go down

Post  rosietaylor on Sun Jun 19, 2011 6:24 am

Well done Baz and well done Ria and co. He may well be clean in the house but he left me lots of presents in his kennel. I will remind him of this when he gets back!!!! He looks so settled in your house and chilled. This is the dog always knew he could be. I hope he doesn't get too upset having to come back. At least he's had a good break and we have gained lots of valuable information to pass on to his new owners. Plus we know what to work on. Thank you x

rosietaylor

Back to top Go down

Post  Ria on Sun Jun 19, 2011 6:54 am

Here's hoping that after all the talking to people we did today, either Baz or Vik will get a forever home very soon. If it's Vik, then Baz will come straight to us as a foster.

If anyone out there is thinking of fostering, then please consider Baz. He is definitely one of those dogs that will give you such a huge boost of satisfaction if you are part of his successful rehoming.
Ria
Ria
Fosterer

Back to top Go down

Baz - Staffie Lab X, Dog (3-4 Years)  Empty Well, guess what .....?

Post  Ria on Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:22 pm

BAZ IS IN FOSTER!!!

My heart is jumping with joy!! I met with Janet and her husband last night, and they passed their home check and foster potential test with flying colours. This morning they were straight down to the rescue to meet Baz, and as I type, Baz is flat out, fast asleep on his blanket in their comfy lounge, snoozing away, after a wonderful long walk.

I, and all of FDR, volunteer walkers included, are so grateful that Janet has the kindness in her heart to take Baz out of such a stressful situation, and bring him into her home in order to work on giving him the best chance to shine and show himself to be the Baz we all know he is capable of being.

I will now leave Janet to update his progress, as she is keen to do, and will be keeping a keen eye on him blossoming into a stress free dog.

Please remember, if you feel you can make a difference to a dog in kennels on an incredibly practical level, then do consider fostering a dog. You can read all the guidelines on the main FDR website. Just click the link at the top of the page, and go to the Fostering tab on the left hand side.
Ria
Ria
Fosterer

Back to top Go down

Post  rosietaylor on Wed Jun 22, 2011 5:01 am

I am so thrilled that Baz has finally left the kennels and to such a nice couple who only live round the corner from me. (bonus). I was sad to see him go and had my last walk,cuddle and massage this morning before he went. He is such a lovely dog and he so deserves this chance to be in a normal environment with people who will love him. Thank you and miss you Baz be good and happy!!!! Looking forward to seeing his progress reports!!!!!

rosietaylor

Back to top Go down

Baz - Staffie Lab X, Dog (3-4 Years)  Empty Foster mom jan

Post  Janet on Mon Jun 27, 2011 1:37 am

Sorry folks have had a few pc problems.Picked Baz up tue mornin he gave me a lovely greeting.He got in my car no trouble,think he was just so glad to get out of kennels.So sad to see his paws & rash on his tummy which was stress related.He was very overwhelmed by his new enviroment.But the difference in him after six days yes six days is amazing.Been rubbing cream on his paws & tummy & its practily healed.He loves a walk & stays quite close.He settles well at night in his cage,bought him a nice duvet so he comfy hes not stressed that is bazs special space.He getting quite layed back & chilled.He loves play time just 10/15 mins playing ball & tug.Baz can be a bit lazy lounging around on a rug but not going to let him be a rug spud.We working on the jumping up & hes doing well learning that if he sits he gets a yummy.He loves a belly rub.He would make a lovely companion in the right forever home.Will post some pictures soon & will keep you all updated on his progress. Very Happy

Janet
Fosterer

Back to top Go down

Post  jesses mum on Mon Jun 27, 2011 6:00 am

Really good to hear that Baz has settled so well, he is such a handsome chap even if he is a couch potato Sleep Glad that his paws etc are healing so well must be all your TLC, can't wait to see some photos

jesses mum
Adopter

Back to top Go down

Baz - Staffie Lab X, Dog (3-4 Years)  Empty Well done Jan (and Baz!)

Post  Ria on Mon Jun 27, 2011 7:30 pm

Fantastic news Jan, well done! cheers cheers cheers . News travels fast, and I'd even heard that Baz had been chilling out at the coffee bar in Kiddie!! Very Happy

It's fab to hear how even the most stressed and hyper dog can settle in his/her new environment after just 6 days. It can be hard going at first, and you have to persevere and stay calm. The first few days are always the worst, because the dog has sensory overload after looking at four walls and a concrete floor for so long (18 months in Baz's case!). The change comes after 3 or 4 days, when they realise they aren't going back in clink, and start to chill a little.

Keep up the good work, and I look forward to seeing you both tonight.
Ria
Ria
Fosterer

Back to top Go down

Post  Janet on Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:28 am

Wow what a day. Very Happy Baz so chilled today.Happy to stay asleep on rug in lounge when i leave the room instead of following me round.Had a nice walk this morning. Went happily (with a biscuit of course) in his cage while i popped to town.Let him out when i got home & had a lovely greeting.Took him a walk to Habberley valley. Let him off lead.Dogs came over to introduce themselves.Baz found a friend Barney who was willing to play & they had a great time running around.He then met Alfie a staffie who really was up for a play poor Baz was run ragged.It gave him a new found confidence.Was so happy to see him enjoying himself.Got home where Baz just flopped on kitchen floor exausted.All this dog needed was a chance to shine.Am working on getting some photos on forum so watch this space.

Janet
Fosterer

Back to top Go down

Post  jesses mum on Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:43 am

Sounds like just the sort of day this lovely boy deserves, I should think you were pretty exhausted too !!!!

jesses mum
Adopter

Back to top Go down

Baz - Staffie Lab X, Dog (3-4 Years)  Empty What a welcome and what a sight!

Post  Ria on Tue Jun 28, 2011 7:46 pm

Oh, what a fantastic welcome I received tonight from Baz! I had popped over to see Jan and her family to check on Baz's progress, as I knew that there had been some testing times in the first few days. Like every dog that has been incarcerated for so long, the sudden freedom and sensory overload is overwhelming, and can prove really difficult for fosterers and adopters alike. I always say, give it at least four days and both sides will have calmed down.

Baz was a sight for sore eyes. The magic that Jan has worked on his skin is just fantastic. All of the rawness under his arms is gone, and his tummy is clear too. His paws are nearly completely healed. Everyone at the kennels will back me up here when I say that a week ago his scabs were open and weeping, and he was constantly gnawing away at his paws and underarms. My goodness, Jan, you are a miracle worker. Apparently, Baz has completely given in to Jan when she is rubbing cream in - he obviously understands that she is helping him. TLC and a stress free environment has turned this dog's life around.

Once he got the initial welcome out of the way (and boy, I was licked from hairline to fingertips!), he quickly settled and made my handbag his pillow and gently snored at my feet. Later on he showed me his toy ball that quacks as it rolls (he was initially quite worried about it, but loves it now), and his rubber pulley toy.

There have been some humping issues, but this has now subsided. Again, something I see with most of my foster dogs in the first week, but it always subsides.

Jan is working on Baz's manners, and he is responding really well. There is a definite improvement in everything with each day, and is was such a relief for Jan to be able to let Baz off the lead yesterday for the first time, and trust him to come back. Jan's walks in the valley are going to be 100% more enjoyable now and Jan will be able to relax in the knowledge that Baz is a lover not a fighter! There's nothing like the feeling of real trust when you can walk your dog off lead without the fear that he will be a nuisance to other dog owners or their dogs.

I was thrilled to hear that he's only had one accident in the house when he was caught short playing.

Great work Jan, and a fantastic round of applause for Baz. We knew he would shine in a home environment, and all he needed was the chance to prove himself.

Jan will continue to work with his rehabilitation, but without a doubt Baz is ready for adoption now if anyone wants to take over. He is currently untested with cats or children, however his general demeanour would suggest that there is no malice in this dog.

To see such a turnaround in one week shows that Baz is quick to learn and has the ability to absorb direction. The one thing that I would say is that he needs to be rewarded with natural treats, like liver cake. Phew!! What a stinker!! affraid Like Jan says, at least you can blame the dog! Laughing Laughing Laughing
Ria
Ria
Fosterer

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie on Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:44 pm

This is indeed brilliant news - well done Jan

It is true it takes dogs a good 3 to 4 days to see the "real" dog. I have seen this with all of the foster dogs that have come here. Keep up the good work - it really won't be long before he finds a new home - he is so handsome
Julie
Julie

Back to top Go down

Post  Janet on Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:08 pm

Baz loved his visit from Ria last night think he rememberd she was the one who got him out of jail.She saw how well hes coming on.Wasnt easy for the first few days but i wasnt going to judge this dog on such a short time i had to give him a chance.With some love & guidence hes shining.Hes so much more relaxed.Hes had a nice hour walk this morning in the valley had a play with a puppy.He got a lovely mischievous side when i go to peg my washing out turn my back he takes a peg out the bag & runs off.Its a lovely game when i chase him to get it back.He getting his feet under the table now was pottering in kitchen went to see where Baz was he sound asleep on MY CHAIR he looked so comfy didnt have the heart to disturb him.Well gotta get ready for walk no2.Hope im gonna get a good figure out of all this excercise. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Janet
Fosterer

Back to top Go down

Baz - Staffie Lab X, Dog (3-4 Years)  Empty Now there's a thought .....

Post  Ria on Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:24 pm

Maybe we should put the adverts up in all the local slimming clubs!

• Hate the gym? Get a Baz!!
  • Don't like swimming? Get a Baz!!
  • Eaten some chocolate? Get a Baz!!
  • Too many points? Get a Baz!!
Ria
Ria
Fosterer

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 13 1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13  Next