Latest topics
» Dog rescue blog
Tucker - Staffie, Dog (2 Years) FOSTERED IN TENBURY WELLS  EmptyMon Mar 10, 2014 3:14 am by chels335

» writing a book about rescue dogs
Tucker - Staffie, Dog (2 Years) FOSTERED IN TENBURY WELLS  EmptyThu Sep 12, 2013 9:14 am by pmbohio

» Mary Lou
Tucker - Staffie, Dog (2 Years) FOSTERED IN TENBURY WELLS  EmptyTue Jul 23, 2013 9:18 am by Iloveotis

» Sponsored Walk on Sunday 23 June in aid of Tucker's TTA Surgery
Tucker - Staffie, Dog (2 Years) FOSTERED IN TENBURY WELLS  EmptyMon Jul 08, 2013 9:33 pm by Ria

» Mary Lou
Tucker - Staffie, Dog (2 Years) FOSTERED IN TENBURY WELLS  EmptySun Jul 07, 2013 2:50 pm by Iloveotis

» Looks like my fostering days are over
Tucker - Staffie, Dog (2 Years) FOSTERED IN TENBURY WELLS  EmptySun Jul 07, 2013 4:38 am by Ria

» Denzil
Tucker - Staffie, Dog (2 Years) FOSTERED IN TENBURY WELLS  EmptyTue May 28, 2013 7:50 am by Jackie

» Nico - Rhodesian Ridgeback, Dog (3 Years)
Tucker - Staffie, Dog (2 Years) FOSTERED IN TENBURY WELLS  EmptyTue May 28, 2013 7:45 am by Jackie

» Walk on 26 May 2013 -Riverside walk from Blackstone, Bewdley to Arley and back
Tucker - Staffie, Dog (2 Years) FOSTERED IN TENBURY WELLS  EmptyFri May 24, 2013 8:22 pm by elka

» British Camp from Hollybush - circular walk will now take place on 28 April 2013
Tucker - Staffie, Dog (2 Years) FOSTERED IN TENBURY WELLS  EmptyMon Apr 08, 2013 6:56 am by Nina

» WALK CANCELLED
Tucker - Staffie, Dog (2 Years) FOSTERED IN TENBURY WELLS  EmptySun Mar 24, 2013 6:10 am by Angela

» Walk on 24 March 2013 British Camp from Hollybush - circular walk
Tucker - Staffie, Dog (2 Years) FOSTERED IN TENBURY WELLS  EmptySun Mar 24, 2013 6:08 am by Angela

» Wyre Forest - camping with the dogs
Tucker - Staffie, Dog (2 Years) FOSTERED IN TENBURY WELLS  EmptySat Feb 09, 2013 7:05 am by Angela

» The Royal Forrester, Callow Hill, Bewdley
Tucker - Staffie, Dog (2 Years) FOSTERED IN TENBURY WELLS  EmptySun Jan 27, 2013 3:12 am by Angela

» Food Aggression
Tucker - Staffie, Dog (2 Years) FOSTERED IN TENBURY WELLS  EmptyWed Jan 23, 2013 11:31 pm by Jackie

» Walk on Sunday 27 January 2013
Tucker - Staffie, Dog (2 Years) FOSTERED IN TENBURY WELLS  EmptyWed Jan 23, 2013 1:06 am by siandavis82

» Walk on Sunday 24 February 2013 - Yarpole Circular Route
Tucker - Staffie, Dog (2 Years) FOSTERED IN TENBURY WELLS  EmptyWed Jan 23, 2013 12:37 am by Ria

» Denzel - Working Cocker Spaniel, Dog (5 Years)
Tucker - Staffie, Dog (2 Years) FOSTERED IN TENBURY WELLS  EmptyTue Jan 22, 2013 9:57 pm by jesses mum

» Teeth
Tucker - Staffie, Dog (2 Years) FOSTERED IN TENBURY WELLS  EmptySun Jan 13, 2013 6:14 am by AnnieP

» mug house Bewdley
Tucker - Staffie, Dog (2 Years) FOSTERED IN TENBURY WELLS  EmptyWed Jan 09, 2013 3:31 am by Ria

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Tucker - Staffie, Dog (2 Years) FOSTERED IN TENBURY WELLS

Page 1 of 6 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

Tucker - Staffie, Dog (2 Years) FOSTERED IN TENBURY WELLS  Empty Tucker - Staffie, Dog (2 Years) FOSTERED IN TENBURY WELLS

Post  Administrator on Fri Dec 30, 2011 9:21 am

Tucker - Staffie, Dog (2 Years) FOSTERED IN TENBURY WELLS  Tucker12

Tucker came into kennels with a number of medical problems - his tail was very damaged and he was chasing and chewing it, and his third eyelid gland had popped out making his appearance quite shocking.

He was treated by the vet - his tail was amputated to a length where he could no longer chew on it, and his eye was operated on and the gland repositioned and stitched in place.

In kennels he was extremely stressed and had to wear a buster collar and be given a larger kennel because of his consistent spinning and attempts to chew his tail.

He was taken into foster care on 1 January as he desperately needed one on one care to ensure that his eye and tail healed and to reduce his stress. He also had kennel cough.

Tucker is an extremely friendly dog, very energetic and gets on extremely well with my Patterdale bitch. He has a number of issues that we are working on, that can be overcome with consistent training. He does not like being left for long periods, as he has separation issues and can be destructive, so can only be homed with people who are around for most of the time or can take him to work. He needs to be crated without a bed if you are out during the day, so preferably should not be left longer than 2 or 3 hours maximum during the day. At night he is fine with his bed in his crate.

He is extremely well behaved in a calm environment and walks well on and off the lead.

Please read on to see his progress and also visit and Like his Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/AHomeForTucker.

Last edited by Ria on Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:49 pm; edited 9 times in total (Reason for editing : Update to status - original description no longer appropriate)

Administrator
Admin

http://www.forest-dog-rescue.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Tucker - Staffie, Dog (2 Years) FOSTERED IN TENBURY WELLS  Empty Tucker

Post  Nina on Sun Jan 01, 2012 5:12 am

I joined Tucker in the playpen today and he really enjoyed having a run around! He might have had an operation on his eye and tail but it is not stopping this fella from having a good time whilst he can! He possesses some serious jumping skills as well, see for yourselves!

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.207220052699641.52995.100002349431880&type=1&l=524ec1a5ab
Nina
Nina

Back to top Go down

Tucker - Staffie, Dog (2 Years) FOSTERED IN TENBURY WELLS  Empty You broke my heart .....

Post  Ria on Mon Jan 02, 2012 9:21 am

Well, the best laid plans and all that....

Baz off to his new home, time for a break from fostering for a few months to recharge the batteries and have a bit of time to grieve for my mum. Then along comes Tucker's sob story on the website, and everything is put on hold to try to get this young lad back on his feet.

Went to pick him up this afternoon and what a different dog to the one I chatted to through the bars yesterday. He was totally wound up like a spring, bouncing round like a total nutter. Even Rich, who knows him well and had come over to bid his farewell, was surprised at his behaviour. We sat for a while in his kennel with Phoebe to make sure there was no animosity. Phoebe must have wondered what she'd done to deserve a spell in clink, albeit for a very short time! I removed Tucker's buster collar and straight away he was off chasing his tail. Having been docked to a length where he can't actually grab it, he was quick to push his back up against the wall, twist his head round and manoeuvre his tail into his mouth. A quick distraction with his bone and the offer of a good scratch and a cuddle and he momentarily forgot about the need to taste his own flesh.

We stopped in reception to pick up his medication and check his weight, and he was soon farting away and leaving the most disgusting aroma as we beat a hasty retreat. The journey home in the car was dreadful. We constantly had to open the windows because he absolutely stank to high heaven. I will go and add my comments about treating dogs that Julie, my fellow fosterer, has added to the forum, because I have very strong opinions of unmonitored feeding of treats to dogs in kennels.

Anyway, during the journey home, Tucker jumped into the hatchback boot and proceeded to 'kill' his buster collar with great relish, knowing full well that we were powerless to stop him while driving along the winding country lane home.

When we got home, we let him and Phoebe run around the garden together, and what fun they had. Phoebe certainly puts him in his place when he gets too boisterous. Hoping that he was suitably tired out, we brought him into the house, where he proceeded to drink the water bowl dry, then pee in the house 3 times. He has peed outside 6 times, so it's a work in progress, but at least the odds are not too bad for a new arrival. We put the stair gate up to stop him going upstairs - at least it's easy to clean on wooden floors and ceramic tiles, but I'm not risking the carpet. At least he poo'd outside. I could smell it from twenty paces, and it was worse than the smell of his farts. Again, I put this down to inappropriate levels of treats in the kennels, which also contributes to the texture and colour. Enough talk of poo!!

It was a good three hours before he started to relax, having tried out every single toy of Phoebe's. It's good to see that he likes to shake the soft toys like a typical terrier, but doesn't rip them to pieces. After his dinner, which he was very quick to train to sit and wait before being invited to eat, he felt a bit tired, and settled in front of the roaring logburner...

Tucker - Staffie, Dog (2 Years) FOSTERED IN TENBURY WELLS  Dsc05410

Tucker - Staffie, Dog (2 Years) FOSTERED IN TENBURY WELLS  Dsc05411

Tucker - Staffie, Dog (2 Years) FOSTERED IN TENBURY WELLS  Dsc05412

He has taken his antibiotics without the need to hide it in food - a command to sit, then straight down it went. Always makes it so much easier when you don't have to wrestle medication down the dog's throat, after having it spat out of the cheese/prawn/steak that you've hidden it in. He also literally doesn't bat an eyelid as you're putting his eye ointment in. What a good boy.
He is behaving like every staffie that I've fostered - constantly on the move, always fearful that he's going to miss something, tiring me out just watching him. The best way I find is to just ignore the behaviour rather than getting stressed by it. A dog will, without fail, take at least three days to settle down. Some dogs take weeks. You just have to relax and wait for the dog to find its feet.

So, on first impression, this is a very friendly boy, no malice, lots of energy, with an incredible ability to snort like a pig. We need to get his eye sorted and also his house training. His tail appears to have healed well, and he doesn't react when I touch it. I fear he has a touch of kennel cough, but I'm hoping that he will get some relief from the antibiotics that he's on for his eye.

With his lack of toilet training, we will crate him tonight. He has already been in and out of the open crate, so I think he will sleep well in it.

Fingers crossed for a peaceful night ...
Ria
Ria
Fosterer

http://www.cyclone-technology.com

Back to top Go down

Tucker - Staffie, Dog (2 Years) FOSTERED IN TENBURY WELLS  Empty Re: Tucker - Staffie, Dog (2 Years) FOSTERED IN TENBURY WELLS

Post  jesses mum on Mon Jan 02, 2012 9:27 am

My goodness Only a staffy nut could love those mug shots lol...can't believe he is the same boy Ria....it's only been hours think what he will be like in days, good job you didn't have a rest..he needed you!

jesses mum
Adopter

Back to top Go down

Tucker - Staffie, Dog (2 Years) FOSTERED IN TENBURY WELLS  Empty Brilliant

Post  Angela on Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:02 am

Ria, these pictures are a joy to watch. I know little Tucker is in best hands with you. Give him a cuddle from me.
Angela
Angela

Back to top Go down

Tucker - Staffie, Dog (2 Years) FOSTERED IN TENBURY WELLS  Empty Did I say a touch of kennel cough.....?

Post  Ria on Mon Jan 02, 2012 8:41 pm

Tucker loved his bed in the crate last night, and went in without any fuss and settled down straight away without a murmur. We did, however, find another little wee in the kitchen that we obviously missed earlier on, so his final tally was 4 in the house, 9 out. By the end of the evening he was not downing bowl after bowl of water, so I am hoping for fewer wees today and a better ratio of outside to in!

I came down this morning to find him still snoring away, but he was so happy to see me and I took him straight outside where he had two massive wees and a lovely solid poo. Hurrah!!! Sadly, he then went into the most awful coughing fit, which sounded absolutely dreadful, and I feared for the stitches in his eye popping. It took a good ten minutes before it was over, and his grande finale was a massive sneeze leaving the whole of his face covered in snot! Emma did say at the kennels yesterday that she had cleaned his eye and there was all this green gunge down his face. I don't think that came from his eye, Emma!! He is due back to the vet on Wednesday, so I will discuss this additional complication with her. I think this is adding to the snorting noise that he makes when he sniffs around. Although it makes us rock with laughter, it isn't funny if his breathing is being hampered by kennel cough, so we need a decent diagnosis and a treatment plan.

His left eye is still looking incredibly sore and swollen, and you can see ulceration on the eyeball. His right eye isn't looking normal either, but not on the level of his left eye, but I think one to one care is the best medicine for him. Caring for him is actually quite cathartic for me - antibiiotics for his infection, eye balm for his eyes. My mum had Aricept for her Alzheimer's and eyedrops for her glaucoma every day. I look at Tucker's face when I give him his meds, and I can hear my mum's voice saying, "Thank you" like she did every time I put her eyedrops in and gave her her tablet. I know she would have liked Tucker very much.
Ria
Ria
Fosterer

Back to top Go down

Tucker - Staffie, Dog (2 Years) FOSTERED IN TENBURY WELLS  Empty Re: Tucker - Staffie, Dog (2 Years) FOSTERED IN TENBURY WELLS

Post  jesses mum on Mon Jan 02, 2012 8:52 pm

I'm so glad to hear you had a good night with Tucker, I'm sure his dreams were much sweeter in your comfy house...

Just a thought as your not at vets till Wednesday..when Jess brought Kennel cough home with her from the rescue I was told to give her CHILDREN'S Benolene? it certainly eased that awful rasp that you think is going to carry them off.

Good luck with the wee tally if you have the beautiful sunshine we have this morning I'm sure the tally will go down as they want to be outside . have a great day

jesses mum
Adopter

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie on Tue Jan 03, 2012 3:14 am

Tucker - Staffie, Dog (2 Years) FOSTERED IN TENBURY WELLS  Dsc05411

OMG that picture says it all - well done Ria - I don't suppose he realises how lucky he is yet lol
Julie
Julie

http://www.belyaevrats.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  Phil on Tue Jan 03, 2012 5:42 am

Tucker - Staffie, Dog (2 Years) FOSTERED IN TENBURY WELLS  T10

Hmmm, Yoda call me, you may.
Phil
Phil

Back to top Go down

Tucker - Staffie, Dog (2 Years) FOSTERED IN TENBURY WELLS  Empty KEEP GOING RIA

Post  Janet on Tue Jan 03, 2012 6:15 am

I think your mom is spuring you on,bet she looking down & feeling so proud of you.While your heart is broken you can still find room in your heart for these poor unfortunate animals.What a great start to a new year for Tucker.Keep working your magic Ri. Wink

Janet
Fosterer

Back to top Go down

Tucker - Staffie, Dog (2 Years) FOSTERED IN TENBURY WELLS  Empty We have been thinking what Tucker reminds us of ....

Post  Ria on Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:58 am

and the answer is the cross between a Gremlin and a Tasmanian Devil!!

This boy is a live wire, without a shadow of a doubt. Despite his poorly eye, he is not letting it get in the way of his hyperactive behaviour. He is particularly wound up after exercise and car travel. An absolute nightmare.

Yesterday, we took him on a lovely long walk. His recall on the extender lead was excellent, and as we were in a confined field we let him off. He stayed very close, although he was running backwards and forwards all the time, non stop. An hour and half later, he was still full of energy when we got home. The boomer ball came out and round and round the garden he went for another half an hour. We brought him into the house, and he then started on any toys he could find. In the end we banned all the toys and ignored him as he ran around non stop. I tried putting him in his crate to settle him down, but he started to chase his tail, so out he came again. I decided to give him a shower, because he was reeking of the kennel disinfectant. He was really well behaved and enjoyed the attention. He was squeeky clean and smelling fresh as a daisy afterwards.

We had to go over to my mum's to do the final clear out, so we took him with us, and while I did the housework, Phil took him on another walk around the town. He does pull badly on a short lead, but he listens to the wait command when crossing the road, and sits patiently until given the off we go command. We finally got home around 6pm and he was a lot calmer in the evening. He ended up snuggled on the sofa with me, snoring at top volume.

There were no accidents at all in the house yesterday, although I was taking him out every couple of hours to have a wee. His drinking and weeing seem quite excessive at the moment so I will mention it to the vet when I take him for his check up tomorrow. His coughing is still quite bad, as is his sneezing, and it is much worse in the morning.

He sleeps extremely well overnight in the crate. He obviously can hear us getting up in the morning, but he doesn't get up until I open the door to his crate, and then it's full power madness. He is good waiting for his food to be put down and will sit and wait despite his excitement.

Today was our first day back at the office, and after the short journey to work in the car which was eventful to say the least, with him screaming the car down and spinning on the back seat, we finally got into the office. The intros to the staff was short, as he ran around the office at full steam, checking out every room and finding all of Phoebe's toys. I finally got him into my office and closed the child gate on the door. It took about an hour before he finally settled down. I had to confiscate all the toys because he was just chewing them to pieces. He then resorts to chasing his tail or licking the walls. Believe it or not, I am still 100% confident that he will calm down within a few days. I am actually quite pleased that he has come into foster, because in this state, he is not going to have the best chance at rehoming.

At lunchtime we went to the pet shop and bought a couple of 'indestructible' toys - a frisbee and a ring. We went to the burgage, and let him have the frisbee. For half an hour he solidly ran around the park with the frisbee clamped firmly in his mouth, obscuring his vision. It was unbelievable that he didn't stop running around and around. He was excellent on recall, but once he had given over his frisbee, he was trying to jump up and grab it. He has a very high level of bounce, and we are absolutely not encouraging this action, because he could knock someone out.

When we got back to the office he was still bouncing around, and it took a while before he was calm. He then decided to get into Phoebe's crate under the desk and christen it with a huge wee. That's been his only accident today, although by the look on his face it was deliberate!

His lead walking in town was atrocious - he was pulling the whole time, and of course coughing as the pressure on his throat irritated him. On an extending lead he is fine. When we got home, I dug out a harness and tried him on that, and he walked pretty well to heel. However, walking around the house is not the same as walking in the town, so we will see how he gets on tomorrow. I also tried the Cannie Collar on him, and was shocked that I was able to put it on him AND walk around the garden and house without him objecting at all. Most dogs will at least thrash for the first few minutes of having a halti put around their face. Maybe he is used to one in his previous life.

Tomorrow we are off to the vet for his check up. His eye is still very red and raised, and his eyeball is still badly ulcerated, but his blinking is much better today, and it is not so weepy or producing so much discharge. His tail has healed beautifully, and his hair is starting to grow back.

At the moment, peace reigns and he is snoring his head off. As soon as he starts to exhibit a calmer nature, I will start his training. At the moment, his level of excitement makes his ears turn to cloth. In the meantime we will restrain him with a seatbelt clip in the car.

Fingers crossed we have a more peaceful day tomorrow.
Ria
Ria
Fosterer

Back to top Go down

Tucker - Staffie, Dog (2 Years) FOSTERED IN TENBURY WELLS  Empty Vet's Verdict

Post  Ria on Thu Jan 05, 2012 3:53 am

Tucker was off to see Anne, the lovely vet at Severn Edge today. She is the lady who did both operations to his eye and docked his tail.

Tucker was received like royalty in reception by every passing vet nurse - he obviously left an impression with his many visits.

Anne was very pleased to hear that he was in foster, away from kennel stress, and not persistently chasing his tail. His tail has healed beautifully. She then gave me an in depth description of the problem with his eye and why it had been operated on twice. She then went on to put some dye in the eye and anaesthetic, and took a cotton bud (those of squeamish disposition stop reading here, and go straight to the next paragraph) and poked it deep down under his lower lid to show me the green discharge lodged deep below. The bud went backwards and forwards, as she intimately inspected every nook and cranny of his third eyelid, inviting me to look into the chasm. It was quite interesting, actually. She then inspected the blood vessels and the ulceration using an ultra violet light, and that's where the fun started. Suddenly, Tucker decided he wanted to chase the light, and went into a bit of a frenzy during which he grabbed Anne's stethoscope from around her neck and proceeded to run off and play with it. I finally managed to extract it from his very hard grasp and put it on the table, so he then decided it was the turn of his lead. Having had Ferdie chew straight through a brand new extender lead, I wasn't going to let it happen with Tucker, so we spent a few minutes wrestling on the floor! I know exactly what training is vital now!!

The final verdict was that his eye is healing, albeit slowly, but there should be a full recovery over time. The swelling was reduced and the ulceration was also improving. I was told to keep him on the antibiotics for another week, which would also help the kennel cough, and was given some more eye cream and anti inflammatories for his kennel cough, as his glands were really up. I was asked to bring him back for another check up in a week. Anne recommended that he is kept quiet so as not to irritate his throat, which makes the coughing worse.

Today at work he has been extremely good, sleeping most of the day. I think we have finally found his off switch, thank goodness. We had already decided not to give him any toys, as it was clear that too much play makes him cough, and makes him too excited. He has actually responded well and calmed down. I think he is a bit more settled in general, and so he doesn't feel the need to have to impress me all the time.

I changed him to a harness today to see how he would walk. We put him on a restrainer clip in the car this morning, and despite it being at its shortest setting, he still managed to spin around a number of times. By the time we got to work, he had twisted his lead around the webbing of the clip about eight times, and it took a while to untangle it. When I took him to the vet, I took his lead off, and although he was unsettled for the first five minutes in the car, he eventually settled down in the back, although he is not a natural traveller. I think this will come with time too. He was not too bad on the harness, although he had to be pulled back a few times. Much better than the collar, though, and a lot kinder to his neck given his kennel cough. He is starting to understand the wait command and actually sits down. I did try the cannie collar on him in the street, but he started to rear up and put his paws under to try to dislodge it, and with his paws and nails coming close to his eyes, I was very worried that he might scratch them, so took it straight off. I will continue training him to walk to heel on the harness for the timebeing.

So, at the moment he's lying flat out on his bed, having tried to engage Phoebe in play and not succeeded (Phoebe knows work time is rest time for her). He is snoring his head off and I'm sure he will settle into a very calm and chilled lad over the next week.
Ria
Ria
Fosterer

Back to top Go down

Tucker - Staffie, Dog (2 Years) FOSTERED IN TENBURY WELLS  Empty What a change in his temperament!

Post  Ria on Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:41 pm

I'm at work (yes, Phil, I know I should be doing some PROPER work!), and Tucker is fast asleep snoring his head off. He has really calmed down a lot now and we are starting to see the real Tucker, and figure out what things need improving.

He is obviously house trained, despite his initial wees in the house. Either that or he is incredibly bright and a very fast learner, because we have not had any accidents in the house for the past couple of days. I don't take any chances with him, though, and let him out every couple of hours or as soon as he wakes up from his sleep and starts walking about. He always wees as soon as he goes out, and gets lots of praise, so he is definitely realising that peeing indoors gets no pat on the back.

He knows his basic commands - come here (I use one word for my own dog - come, but Tucker doesn't respond to 'come' or 'here' on their own, but he does respond to 'come here'), sit down (again, not single words, but the two together), lie down (ditto).

He is not a dog that jumps onto the sofa, and is happy to lie on his bed. He will come when called, and loves nothing more than a cuddle on the sofa, but he doesn't jump up all over you like some dogs do.

He gets very excited at mealtimes, but I am able to put Phoebe's food down first without him chasing her out the way. He does wait, but sometimes gets very excited and forgets his manners momentarily. No wait, no food. He gets the message quickly.

He is absolutely perfect off lead. I now take him out of the office for a wee off lead and into the back car park, and he stays close and responds to recall fantastically well. This morning we walked alongside the lake at Cadmore and he took no notice of the swans right up at the edge, or the ducks flying away. He is more interested in me, and immediately comes back when called (without treats).

I believe he is crate trained, because he makes no fuss whatsoever when told to get in his crate at night. I only use a crate when I first have a foster dog to see whether they are crate trained, and to control them during the night if they are not house trained. If all looks well, after a couple of days the crate remains with the door open, then I remove the crate altogether. Last night we let Tucker sleep in the bedroom in his bed and he was absolutely fine. However, we didn't sleep much because of his kennel cough, so tonight he will be sleeping in the kitchen in his bed.

I am not socialising him with other dogs at the moment because of his kennel cough, so when walking him at lunchtime, I do not let other dogs approach him. From his general demeanour when there are other dogs around, he doesn't seem to take any notice. If he is off lead in the park, and another dog comes along, I can recall him and he comes straight back, showing no interest in the other dog. With Phoebe he is fine. They will play in the garden, chasing eachother, but sometimes he will get a little too full on, but backs off when Phoebe (who is extremely vocal when she is putting a dog in its place) tells him no. It has escalated a couple of times, but nothing more than handbags at dawn, and a loud, "Stop it!" stops them both in their tracks.

We left him for a couple of hours in the kitchen last night for the first time, when we went shopping. I did put the video camera on, as I always do to watch what they get up to, and haven't watched it back yet (the battery was flat when we got home), but there was nothing looking untoward when we got back home.

The things that need work are:

• travelling in the car - he gets extremely hyper and vocal in the car. He is harnessed and clipped in, but still manages to spin. On longer journeys he does eventually settle, but unsupervised he will start to chew on bedding and the seat covers. Left in the car when it is stationary, he is fine.

• spacial awareness - he will push past you on the stairs which, with his strength, can knock you flying

• walking on a short lead - he still needs some heel work, although he is not too bad and can be corrected when he starts to pull. It definitely works better with a harness at the moment, but also with his kennel cough, I won't use his collar.

• knowing when to calm down - toys actually send him into a total frenzy. I think he is used to playing 'tuggy' with any toy that he has. He will not, at the moment, give over any toy that he brings you. He wants to play tug of war with everything. At the moment, I am using the ignore him strategy which is making him drop the toy eventually. I am not encouraging any play at all at the moment because it is irritating his throat and making him cough. Once his kennel cough is under control, I will work on his behaviour around toys. He is also very fast to turn a rough and tumble play into using his mouth, and I think he might have been riled up in his past life.

Tucker really is an endearing dog. He is bright as a button, and I am sure that all of these weaknesses can be worked on really easily, and he will turn into a fantastic, well behaved pet. As he is a smaller staffie, I feel is he is very appealing to a wide audience.
Ria
Ria
Fosterer

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie on Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:57 pm

That is all really useful reading for me Ria - let alone anyone thinking of taking Tucker on in the future, it shows almost on a "time-line" how they can settle and how the first 3 or 4 days you do not see the real dog.

I did chuckle when I read:
At the moment, peace reigns and he is snoring his head off.
as there is some contradiction in that sentence lol.

How do you work on the spatial awareness training? Would you have the time to put the information in the training section as and when things occur to you. One of the most seen problems with the dogs I have taken into foster is spacial awareness and barging past. I have only ever dealt with it by blocking and making them wait until I have passed through the doorway first etc, but the little dogs can nip through my legs - especially now they are slimmer lol)....

I am so pleased to read that Tucker is settling in and it is refreshing to read an honest report - warts 'n all
Julie
Julie

Back to top Go down

Post  Ria on Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:08 pm

Hahahaha! Yes, that is a contradiction! After 31 years of marriage, I must be immune to snoring, lol!

I do exactly what you do, block with my legs and use the "Wait!" command. Baz was a terrible barger, but after consistent training he would actually wait at the top or bottom of the stairs until he was invited to come up or down. I always use the visual "Stop" hand signal when I use the wait command and that way I eventually don't have to speak. This is really useful when giving the command through a window, such as getting the dog out of the car, or letting it into the house (not through the window, lol, but through the patio door!).

You're right, some of these techniques need to go into the training thread.

I think with dogs in foster, it's so important to log the whole truth about the dog, warts and all. It also helps to have things written down when you're looking back, because my memory is absolute pants. When we first got Tucker home, he was like a tornado, and I immediately looked back at Ferdie's thread (same breed) to see how long it took him to quieten down. Sure enough, Tucker has followed Ferdie's footsteps in so many ways.
Ria
Ria
Fosterer

Back to top Go down

Post  Phil on Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:14 am

Tucker - Staffie, Dog (2 Years) FOSTERED IN TENBURY WELLS  Busy_a10

Another tough day at the office.
Phil
Phil

Back to top Go down

Post  jesses mum on Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:57 am

I think you could say that Tucker is definitely now CHILLED OUT, how lovely to see the difference being in a foster home has made to such a stressed boy....such a shame there are still so many who would also benefit, let's hope Tuckers new family are found soon & you can start again Ria & Phil lol.

jesses mum
Adopter

Back to top Go down

Tucker - Staffie, Dog (2 Years) FOSTERED IN TENBURY WELLS  Empty Minus the sound effects!

Post  Ria on Tue Jan 10, 2012 2:09 am

What you don't have accompanying that last photograph is the sound of Tucker's snoring!! He has resumed the same position now, as I type, and he is shaking the foundations of the building lol!

We've had a really good weekend with Tucker, and I have been able to gauge some of his less saintly behaviour really well, and be able to suggest ways of countering it.

His biggest challenge is the way he quickly becomes really OTT when you play with him, which I have experienced with a lot of dogs, my own included if the play is rough enough, but with Tucker there is no immediate off switch when given the key word. He loses himself in the moment of excitement and becomes quite frenzied. The worst of this behaviour is him jumping up and grabbing whatever is in your hand, or your jumper or coat, and not letting go. This happens even if you have visitors that arrive unannounced and make a fuss of him. The way to overcome this until he is better trained is very simple - forethought.

When visitors arrive, put him out of the room and tell them to ignore him before you let him meet them. There is plenty of time for fuss and attention once he is over his initial excitement of meeting new people, and you can pet him on your terms not his.

When out walking, do not play with toys that require him fetching them if there are other people in the vicinity. He will jump up at you, and he can jump incredibly high and without any idea of spacial awareness. We were walking in a friend's orchard and of course there were lots of branches on the ground, of which bringing every one for you to throw seems to be one of his favourite pastimes. However, our friend was pruning the young trees, and when Tucker caught sight of him he ran at speed and launched himself at our friend's pruning snips, as he could see him with a branch in his hand. As he is running back towards you, he will easily be distracted if he thinks someone else has something to throw for him. He stops dead when you shout "Stop!" and "Sit!" as he is coming towards you, and will actually wait patiently for you to throw his ball, but if you are not quick enough, he just launches himself at you. For this reason, we have decided to stop playing fetch as we are walking along, and will not play with him in public places until we have this behaviour under control. He is still wanting to play tug with anything that he brings to you, so I am continuing to turn my back on him and refusing to be drawn in.

In the car he continues to be a nightmare at first. Again, it's utter excitement, but he has to be restrained very securely because he is strong and without any control in those first five minutes of the journey, which can be incredibly distracting. I am going to try putting him in the car five minutes before we start the journey to see if that calms him.

His other trigger seems to be reflections from shiny things, for example the sun reflecting off your watch or your laptop screen. He goes absolutely ballistic whenever a reflection is cast, and I wonder if he's been teased by it in the past, as there is absolutely no calming him until the source is eradicated.

I tried him in the kitchen without locking his crate overnight, but he will not hold his wee. In the crate he sleeps until you actually open his door, so I think he just needs some more training until he is completely house trained overnight. He is not at all upset at being crated at night - he goes straight to sleep. I do think that he has been restrained in a crate for long periods in his former life. He has some pressure bald patches on his back legs. I only use the crate at night. We have left him unattended in the kitchen for three hours, making sure he had a wee before we went out, and he was fine. He also wee'd twice at the weekend in the conservatory, so he can't quite be trusted with the run of the house at the moment. He does seem to wee very frequently - whenever you open the door to let him out, even if only an hour between visits, he will empty his bladder. He will go to the door if he wants a wee, but his signals are so subtle that you can overlook them, and then he will just wee out of sight. headbang At work, I tend to take him out every time I go to make the tea, so during working hours he wees at 8.30, 10.30, lunchtime, 3.30 and 5.30!

Speaking of work, he is so chilled at work and seems to react entirely to the circumstances, i.e. he is calm in calm surroundings. The same in the evening at home.

With regard to his physical ailments, he is healing well. His eye is looking a lot less angry and swollen, although his third eyelid does raise up noticeably in windy weather. His kennel cough seemed to peak on Friday night, and I'm hopeful that he will be much better in a couple of days - he does love his Benylin children's cough mixture before bed. He is due back at the vet on Wednesday morning and I think Anne, the vet, will be happy with his progress.
Ria
Ria
Fosterer

Back to top Go down

Tucker - Staffie, Dog (2 Years) FOSTERED IN TENBURY WELLS  Empty What I don't know about a dog's third eyelid....

Post  Ria on Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:42 pm

..could be written on the back of a fag packet!

This morning I had another anatomy lesson from Anne, the vet, as she checked Tucker's eye. At one point, I thought his eyeball looked like it had been popped out, but I managed to keep my breakfast down. I felt like a part of the veterinary team, as I had to keep such a firm hold on Tucker's head to keep him still and, as a consequence, I was right in there amidst the action No Anne thought it was looking a lot better - there is less blood in the eyelid, and the whites of his eye are white, not laden with blood vessels. Although the operation left him with three dissolving stitches, she decided to take them out because she said it could feel 'like a foreign body' in his eye, and that they had done their job in holding the gland in place. I was concerned that it may be the reason the ulceration was still so noticeable. Anyway, a lot of anaesthetic eye drops so he couldn't feel anything, and with an amazingly steady hand and fantastic eyesight, Anne managed to grab the sutures, snip them with a tiny curved scalpel and pull them out. One was a bit stuck, so caused a tiny bit of bleeding, but it was soon as right as rain. Now, how many dogs can you remove three stitches from deep down on the third eyelid from? Tucker was an absolute star.

Anne felt that hopefully in a month it should be completely healed and she was confident that the gland wouldn't have to be removed permanently. She had another dig around with the cotton bud to check everything over, and we were on our way. She told me to finish off the eyedrops, and I feel that by the weekend, he will be fit to be rehomed.

Start forming an orderly queue, please. dog lick

Ria
Ria
Fosterer

Back to top Go down

Post  jesses mum on Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:48 pm

That's such good news Ria ...Tucker sounds an absolute star, lets hope he finds his home soon as he has recovered so well

jesses mum
Adopter

Back to top Go down

Post  kimmal on Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:24 am

Brilliant postings and so detailed and honest....Love youve took him on and what youve been doing with him.....x:D
kimmal
kimmal

Back to top Go down

Tucker - Staffie, Dog (2 Years) FOSTERED IN TENBURY WELLS  Empty Photocall - ready for bed

Post  Ria on Fri Jan 13, 2012 4:42 am

Tucker - Staffie, Dog (2 Years) FOSTERED IN TENBURY WELLS  Dsc05510

Tucker - Staffie, Dog (2 Years) FOSTERED IN TENBURY WELLS  Dsc05511

Tucker - Staffie, Dog (2 Years) FOSTERED IN TENBURY WELLS  Dsc05512

Tucker - Staffie, Dog (2 Years) FOSTERED IN TENBURY WELLS  Dsc05513

There is room for the whole of his head in the bed, honest!! He just likes to rest his chops on the side! Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
Ria
Ria
Fosterer

Back to top Go down

Tucker - Staffie, Dog (2 Years) FOSTERED IN TENBURY WELLS  Empty It's good to see how well his eye has healed in 2 weeks

Post  Ria on Sat Jan 14, 2012 12:47 am

Tucker - Staffie, Dog (2 Years) FOSTERED IN TENBURY WELLS  Tucker10 Tucker - Staffie, Dog (2 Years) FOSTERED IN TENBURY WELLS  Tucker11

What an improvement!!
Ria
Ria
Fosterer

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie on Sat Jan 14, 2012 3:35 am

That is incredible - well done Ria! (and Tucker's ability to heal)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
He who laughs last thinks slowest!
Julie
Julie

Back to top Go down

Tucker - Staffie, Dog (2 Years) FOSTERED IN TENBURY WELLS  Empty Some improvements, some work still to do

Post  Ria on Sun Jan 15, 2012 8:09 am

We've had a some interesting days.

On Thursday I was working from home for the day as I was expecting a viewing of the house, and also the alarm maintenance engineer to call. Phil had gone off to Leeds to see a customer for the day, so the dogs stopped at home with me. As Phoebe is a typical terrier when we have unknown visitors, with a bark that could shatter glass, and Tucker hasn't learnt his off command around people yet, I dug the extra large crate out of the garage and set it up in the lounge. I put Tucker's favourite bed in there, and when the viewers arrived, I put both dogs into the crate. As we progressed around the house, I was very aware of Phoebe's incessant barking. When we arrived back in the lounge, by which time the alarm engineer had also arrived and was tapping away on the control panel and setting alarms off right, left and centre, I noticed a cloud of bed stuffing strewn around the outside of the cage. Tucker had literally demolished his bed and an extra pad I had put into the crate. affraid affraid Little sod!! I was afraid that he was going to start eating the pad stuffing, so let him out of the crate, whereupon he launched himself at both viewers and the alarm engineer in his boisterous, excited way. Fortunately, they all thought this was very endearing, despite nearly being knocked flying- being dog owners themselves, they were very understanding! I told them all to completely ignore him, and within 2 minutes he was totally calm. I managed to restuff the pad, but the bed is a goner.

Tucker's coughing has been variable, from constant to very intermittent. Yesterday at work I gave them both a rawhide cigar, and watched him carefully as he has a habit of downing food in one, which can also irritate his cough. About an hour after eating the rawhide, he started to cough and retch, and I was expecting him to regurgitate part of the rawhide, when suddenly he vomited his breakfast(strangely, no rawhide), including the whole chantenay carrots! Everyone in the office went, "Oh lovely!!" at the loud sound effects, and I rushed out of my office as Phil shouted, "Ria, he's just puked up!" (funny how I am chief puke, crap and wee clearer-upper!), and as I grabbed a box of tissues and got ready to mop up the vomit, I was just about to shout, "Okay, which wally has left a packet of elastic bands out that he's eaten?" when suddenly said 'elastic bands' uncurled and started to crawl across the carpet. I was caught between screaming my head off in horror and not making a sound, not wanting to totally freak the staff out!! You have never seen anyone move so fast to pick up the vomit and run down to the toilet to flush it. I was absolutely mortified, and now have no doubt why he has failed to put on any weight despite me feeding him more each day. I rushed over to the vet to get an emergency course of Drontal and was advised to repeat the treatment within the month. Fortunately, the worms are appearing out the other end now, thankfully quite dead. Chow mein and spaghetti bolognaise is definitely off the menu for the forseeable future!No No No It could also be a reason for the coughing not clearing up (although there is no doubt that his original cough was kennel cough). I tell you, I have never felt so goose bumpy as I did last night! Ewwwwwwww - everything was making me feel itchy, it was horrible!!

LET THIS BE A LESSON TO ALL - NEVER LET YOUR DOG'S WORMING TREATMENT LAPSE!! WORM YOUR DOG AT LEAST EVERY COUPLE OF MONTHS.

I have been working hard on Tucker's manners around toys. It works in the house when he brings a toy and is pretty chilled, and will hand it over, albeit slowly, but it is the furthest thing from his mind when he is outdoors and all excited. I am also concerned when he sees people when we are out, because if they have anything in their hands that he thinks is a toy, he will make a beeline for them and jump up.

His walking on a short lead is brilliant now. He walks incredibly well to heel in town, although if he gets excited, I just stop, correct him and wait until he settles.

The one thing we are not progressing at all is the car travel. I have tried putting him in the car five minutes before the journey, sitting for five minutes with the engine running before setting off, and sitting in the back with him, but it makes no difference. The strange thing is that he is extremely keen to get into the car, so he obviously doesn't have a reluctance to enter the car. Once in the car, he spins, even when he is restrained, and makes very strange noises whilst bouncing around as much as he possibly can given the restraint. It generally lasts around 10 minutes and then he lies down, but is still not entirely quiet, although he isn't too distracting at this point. We are going to try a crate in the hatchback of Phil's Jeep (I can't fit a crate in my car) to see if it makes a difference.

I had a call from the kennels today to say there was interest in Tucker, and the prospect would like him to meet their female beagle. I have advised waiting a few days to get the worms out of his system and to see where he is with his cough. I have still not socialised him with other dogs, as I would not risk them picking up what he has. I hope they can hang on a few days. He's worth waiting for!

To finish, here are a couple of vidoes. One is him and Phoebe having fun around the house. It cracks me up watching them hit the hardwood floors and running on the spot!! The second is his snoring, with sound effects from Phoebe in the background having a dream. Enjoy!!

Indoor Playtime

I don't snore!!

Last edited by Ria on Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ria
Ria
Fosterer

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 6 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next