Latest topics
» Dog rescue blog
Jack - Border Collie, Dog (5 Years old).  EmptyMon Mar 10, 2014 3:14 am by chels335

» writing a book about rescue dogs
Jack - Border Collie, Dog (5 Years old).  EmptyThu Sep 12, 2013 9:14 am by pmbohio

» Mary Lou
Jack - Border Collie, Dog (5 Years old).  EmptyTue Jul 23, 2013 9:18 am by Iloveotis

» Sponsored Walk on Sunday 23 June in aid of Tucker's TTA Surgery
Jack - Border Collie, Dog (5 Years old).  EmptyMon Jul 08, 2013 9:33 pm by Ria

» Mary Lou
Jack - Border Collie, Dog (5 Years old).  EmptySun Jul 07, 2013 2:50 pm by Iloveotis

» Looks like my fostering days are over
Jack - Border Collie, Dog (5 Years old).  EmptySun Jul 07, 2013 4:38 am by Ria

» Denzil
Jack - Border Collie, Dog (5 Years old).  EmptyTue May 28, 2013 7:50 am by Jackie

» Nico - Rhodesian Ridgeback, Dog (3 Years)
Jack - Border Collie, Dog (5 Years old).  EmptyTue May 28, 2013 7:45 am by Jackie

» Walk on 26 May 2013 -Riverside walk from Blackstone, Bewdley to Arley and back
Jack - Border Collie, Dog (5 Years old).  EmptyFri May 24, 2013 8:22 pm by elka

» British Camp from Hollybush - circular walk will now take place on 28 April 2013
Jack - Border Collie, Dog (5 Years old).  EmptyMon Apr 08, 2013 6:56 am by Nina

» WALK CANCELLED
Jack - Border Collie, Dog (5 Years old).  EmptySun Mar 24, 2013 6:10 am by Angela

» Walk on 24 March 2013 British Camp from Hollybush - circular walk
Jack - Border Collie, Dog (5 Years old).  EmptySun Mar 24, 2013 6:08 am by Angela

» Wyre Forest - camping with the dogs
Jack - Border Collie, Dog (5 Years old).  EmptySat Feb 09, 2013 7:05 am by Angela

» The Royal Forrester, Callow Hill, Bewdley
Jack - Border Collie, Dog (5 Years old).  EmptySun Jan 27, 2013 3:12 am by Angela

» Food Aggression
Jack - Border Collie, Dog (5 Years old).  EmptyWed Jan 23, 2013 11:31 pm by Jackie

» Walk on Sunday 27 January 2013
Jack - Border Collie, Dog (5 Years old).  EmptyWed Jan 23, 2013 1:06 am by siandavis82

» Walk on Sunday 24 February 2013 - Yarpole Circular Route
Jack - Border Collie, Dog (5 Years old).  EmptyWed Jan 23, 2013 12:37 am by Ria

» Denzel - Working Cocker Spaniel, Dog (5 Years)
Jack - Border Collie, Dog (5 Years old).  EmptyTue Jan 22, 2013 9:57 pm by jesses mum

» Teeth
Jack - Border Collie, Dog (5 Years old).  EmptySun Jan 13, 2013 6:14 am by AnnieP

» mug house Bewdley
Jack - Border Collie, Dog (5 Years old).  EmptyWed Jan 09, 2013 3:31 am by Ria

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Jack - Border Collie, Dog (5 Years old).

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Jack - Border Collie, Dog (5 Years old).  Empty Jack - Border Collie, Dog (5 Years old).

Post  Administrator on Sun May 22, 2011 6:25 am

Very Happy
Jack - Border Collie, Dog (5 Years old).  Jack10

Jack is a handsome boy, but nervous so will need someone who has time and patience to help him build up his confidence. He has been kept outdoors so would suit a farm environment or somewhere where he has a lot of outdoor space. He has only just come into rescue so we will update this page as we learn more about him.

Last edited by Forest Dog Rescue on Mon Jun 13, 2011 2:28 am; edited 1 time in total

Administrator
Admin

http://www.forest-dog-rescue.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Jack - Border Collie, Dog (5 Years old).  Empty Jack's first day and night...

Post  Beckyalice on Sun May 22, 2011 11:30 pm

Jack has arrived! cheers

I sit here writing this in the company of Jack. Every so often he will trot up to me, and wait for a pat on the head and a bit of a cuddle, checking for reasurrance that he is doing ok in his new home. I look down at his sweet face, and melt in those eyes of his. In that moment, I wonder if anything could give me more satisfaction than rubbing the backs of his ears and watching the pleasure clearly shown on his happy face. Jack has arrived in my home, but in my heart also I love you.

When Jack arrived, we had a small gathering with Ria, Paul and Phoebe also. It had been unknown what Jack would be like with other dogs, but Ria and Paul were confident in Phoebe to 'hold her own' in his company, so we allowed them off the lead together in my back garden. They were soon running around together and playing without any sign of aggression. Jack has been used to living outside, or in a kennel, and so was unsure about actually making his way through the back door. Pheobe was soon to work this out, and kept charging through the back door into the kitchen, with a sideways glance that said 'ner ner ne ner ner' Razz! It was hilarious to watch... but also very telling about Jack's expectations.

Gradually, Jack got braver and began to chase Phoebe into the kitchen, making his way in a little further each time. Phoebe gave Jack his first lesson in how to live the life of a normal household companion dog. Thanks Pheebs, you have brought some sunshine sunny into Jack's life and he continues to sparkle and shine brighter with every minute he stays with us.

24 hours later, Jack is happily settling into the home and relaxing into the idea of being allowed to roam the ground floor of the house. He has been very unsure about what is expected of him (which makes me sad), and so he has had to form a gradual understanding of what he is allowed to do and where he is allowed to go. This works in my favour, because it means I only need to say a quick short 'Ah' sound before he goes somewhere I don't want him to, and he just obeys. He hasn't gone upstairs once because of this gentle but firm command. What a good boy! cheers

He was brilliant at night time. Just as I was off to bed I walked into the kitchen, knowing that Jack would follow, dropped a nice meaty chew for him on his bed, then quietly left the room and closed the door. As I walked upstairs I could hear a gentle whining sound, and I almost lost my resolve, but I knew I had to be strong. The whining had stopped by the time that I had finished brushing my teeth... and so I went to bed, expecting more whining, or possibly a yelp... but nothing. So I went to sleep Sleep .... and in the morning...

There had to be some problem in the morning, of this I was sure. As I tentatively opened the kitchen door, a little dog stood in front of me and then stretched with a little doggy yawn... had Jack just got up too?? There was nothing unusual about the kitchen, other than it had a doggy in it that had not been there the morning before. I'd therefore say that the first night was a complete success! Good boy, Jack!

I'll let you know how his second day goes in my next post... find out about the meeting of the cows, a dinner time etiquette and more...

Beckyalice
Fosterer

Back to top Go down

Jack - Border Collie, Dog (5 Years old).  Empty Re: Jack - Border Collie, Dog (5 Years old).

Post  jesses mum on Mon May 23, 2011 4:37 am

bounce bounce bounce I have been walking with Phil, Ria Phoebe & Vik today & hearing about Jack, so it is lovely to read your account of his first day, sounds to me as if he is in HEAVEN can't wait to read more about this little man finding out how good life is with the chance you have given him. bounce bounce bounce

jesses mum
Adopter

Back to top Go down

Jack - Border Collie, Dog (5 Years old).  Empty Jack: the story continues...

Post  Beckyalice on Mon May 23, 2011 8:38 am

... after discovering a clean, tidy, non-chewed kitchen in the morning, I was very happy... and so, apparently, was Jack! He danced around and seemed to have the joy of the world with him. With his joy and my delight at a quiet first night, and with the Sun shining, there was nothing else that could be done, it was definitely time for WALKIES!

Initially, I planned a short 20-30 min walk to start the day off, with a longer walk planned for later. BUT, the morning was so lovely and Jack and I were full of energy...

Little did we know that the walk would bring such a surprise of magnific proportions confused . The route was mostly quiet and uneventful, until by strange chance we walked past a gate that contained the strangest sight Jack has ever yet seen: COWS! affraid He stood there in shock, not believing what his eyes were seeing. What were they?? Big dogs?? They stared at Jack and walked towards him in curiousity. Jack was fixed to the spot, just staring at them. I decided to play it cool, and so just said "C'mon Jack" in a light hearted voice. He decided that my suggestion was a wise one to follow and so with a couple of side glances, dashed off with his tail between his legs, thinking it was best to get away from those funny big staring dogs. I had to giggle really, and I admit that I did call him a big wimp. It took quite a few yards before his tail resumed it's usual 'half mast' display. Poor Jack! Scary cows.... scratch

...an hour and 20 mins after starting our short walk, we returned home a little less full of energy than when we first started! Ooops Rolling Eyes. We were both a little tired after the long walk which seemed to involve a lot of uphill yomping (I'm assured that this is actually a word). I collapsed on a dining table chair (the living room was just too far to walk to) and Jack collapsed on his bed in the kitchen and dared to have a little late morning snooze. This is a picture of him all cuddled up:

Jack - Border Collie, Dog (5 Years old).  22052011

Jack is currently very sensitive to movement and sounds, which prevents him for staying settled in one place for too long. Becky says 'relax' Jack! I think this is a combination of living in a new home, with new rules to learn, and the fact that he is probably still holding some tension from being in kennels.

House manners seem to come naturally to Jack, and as long as you are clear what the house rules are, and are sure to enforce them when necessary, he is great. Amazingly he is learning new lessons fast...

Dinner time etiquette? Yes please, Jack! He has quickly learned that dinner comes sooner when you sit and wait for it, otherwise it just gets popped back on the side again away from doggy accessibility. Admittedly, he isn't quite 'picture perfect' with this particular house rule yet, but he is a clever boy when he applies himself study and he will soon get there.

His main weakness seems to be in his behaviour outside of the home. In his Forest Dog Rescue description he is said to be 'nervous' and I can see the reason for this label. However, I think more accurate terms would be 'unsure' and 'confused'. Unlike Vik who is proving to be a dog with a great deal of training, I think that Jack has had very little guidance. He gets very easily distracted outside, and has not been taught to heel on the lead. When another dog comes along, it is just tooooo exciting for Jack and he jumps and twists in an effort to maybe get free and play with them. After seeing him with Phoebe I am inclined to translate his behaviour as anxiety/excitement rather than aggression. This is something that I will endeavour to with Jack on... I'm thinking blinkers?? Laughing

Another little issue, is his tendency to finish a meal and then wee on the door frame in the kitchen. This is obviously an effort to mark his territory and protect his kill (aka Chappie). Unfortunately, I think this behaviour comes from habit and so may take some time to break this cycle. He is very easy to stop when he cocks his leg, with just a quick 'ah ah!' - and then he punishes himself by staying out in the garden until you coax him back in again. I'm thinking that meal times may need a different procedure to prevent this habit rather than just simply correcting him each time. Will let you know how this goes...

All in all, he is a lovely boy and will really benefit from an active family who love the outdoors - he has some exploring to catch up on. High energy children and pets may not suit his temperment (makes him too excited and anxious), but calm and collected companions will suit him enormously. He needs clear instruction about boundaries, as all dogs do, and will benefit from training that will engage his mind and use his intelligence. Jack is clearly intelligent, but needs his focus to be directed. Are you out there Question

Beckyalice
Fosterer

Back to top Go down

Jack - Border Collie, Dog (5 Years old).  Empty From strength to strength!

Post  Beckyalice on Tue May 24, 2011 8:51 am

Well well now, Jack, what a clever boy you are!!

TRAINING? I am beginning to understand Jack a little more now, and each day he reveals a little more of his character making it easier to understand his particular learning style (we all have one). We practiced "Sit", "Stay" and "Come" in the garden and in just 5 minutes he tried very hard to grasp the concept, and wasn't bad at all! I learned that the garden is a source of immense excitement bounce for him though, and this is a barrier to learning at present. I think we shall try our training in the house to begin with, and then move into the garden at a later point.

MEETING NEW PEOPLE? I did not appreciate how quickly Jack settled into his new household, and how much trust he has already given us. My neighbour is kindly going to check on Jack during the day tomorrow because I have to be out for a few hours (and I hate leaving him - it breaks my heart!). I wisely invited her around for a cuppa this evening so that she could meet Jack and so she he could meet her. It surprised me when Jack reverted to the unsure little dog that I had first welcomed into my home on Saturday. He barked at her and looked really uncertain, if not a little scared...

...obviously, this is not a behaviour that I can let continue. I took him out of the house via the back door, while my neighbour came in through the front door. I then introduced him to her by allowing him to come into her space, rather than her entering his. This did the trick and after walking around with his tail between his legs, he decided that the chew treat in her hand was worth the risk of an approach... They were soon best of friends, and now my neighbour has fallen in love with Jack too! I love you She told me, "Oh Bec, you can't let him go, he's lovely!"

In the future, all visitors to our house will be handed a yummy dog treat! (No, not for them! For Jack!) This way he will hopefully begin to associate visitors with all things good.

OTHER DOGS? I won't lie, this is a real source of excitement/anxiety for Jack. I believe the key to helping him with this is to concentrate on his obedience training first (although I hate the word 'obedience'). Jack needs to have a strong link with his handler, so that he is more inclined to concentrate on them rather than on other distractions ('Ooo a moving leaf...') I also think that the learning of certain command words might help to keep his attention. But essentially, he just needs to have some really positive experiences with other dogs so he can gain some confidence around them and also learn some social skills... yes Jack, I'm talking about you!

WALKING ON THE LEAD? Yeah, he can do that! It's not exactly walking to 'heel' but it's only time for a smart chappy like Jack! He barely pulls at all now (only three days of practice!!) - I think he's beginning to realise that there will be no shortage of fun and interesting walks around here!

TERRITORY MARKING IN THE HOUSE? Not today! Jack is let out in the garden straight after his meals, and so the habitual marking can hopefully become part of his past. Being neutered may also help this tendency, but dogs can continue behaviours if they have become habitual.

RELAXING? Jack's been practicing his relaxing lots (cuddled up on his bed as I write) and is beginning to understand the instruction, 'Bed'.

Further thoughts about Jack...
My neighbour was quite surprised when she saw Jack because she said he was very similar to her Sister's dog, in looks, temperment, behaviour etc etc. In fact, she said that the similarity was uncanny, and wondered if they might share the same Mother. It is possible that a breeder in the Stottesdon area may have bred little Jack from one of her bitches, as apparently she tends to breed a litter each year. I thought this was quite an intriguing possibility.

My neighbour also made comment about Jack's age. "Are you sure he's five? He seems younger?" she said. Actually, I've been wondering this too, and I know that a couple of people at Forest Dog Rescue have wondered the same. He may indeed be a lot younger than we have been led to believe... (oh why oh why can't this be true of me??? No I'm really only 21!!... oh, and incredibly beautiful - Jack told me, so it must be true)

lol! Hahahahaha! Jack has just had me giggling... he was staring outside of the window while he was standing beside me, and all of a sudden I heard a grumbling noise coming from him. Question I then realised he was actually growling (although, sorry Jack, you're so not scary!!). I couldn't work out what he was growling at until I noticed his reflection in the glass - he was growling at himself! Maybe he isn't as clever as I thought... Rolling Eyes

Beckyalice
Fosterer

Back to top Go down

Jack - Border Collie, Dog (5 Years old).  Empty Re: Jack - Border Collie, Dog (5 Years old).

Post  Beckyalice on Tue May 24, 2011 8:58 am

Oh and just one more interesting fact: Jack prefers to avoid puddles and muddy spots - I think he likes to keep his very handsome little paws spotless!! He had me in hysterics today delicately walking around all the messier patches on the roads and footpaths.

Jack, you're so vain, you probably think this blog is about you!

Beckyalice
Fosterer

Back to top Go down

Jack - Border Collie, Dog (5 Years old).  Empty Cracking Progress!

Post  Ria on Tue May 24, 2011 10:00 am

Becky, you are doing wonders with the boy! Loving the updates and sharing Jack's progress. This is a dog that is flourishing in foster care, and having this thorough update will help to find him the best forever home. Well done!!
Ria
Ria
Fosterer

http://www.cyclone-technology.com

Back to top Go down

Jack - Border Collie, Dog (5 Years old).  Empty NEWSFLASH: Dog kidnapped in Chorley!

Post  Beckyalice on Wed May 25, 2011 7:20 pm

At precisely 12 noon on Tuesday 24th May, a foster dog was kidnapped from his home in Chorley. Jack, a dog currently being fostered by Becky, was left alone in the house with a pre-arranged visit by the next door neighbour, Alice, due in the hour between 12noon and 1pm. At 12:54pm on Tuesday, a text was sent by Alice and received by Becky, claiming that the loveable pooch had been kidnapped from his own home!

During the day, Jack was subjected to cuddles on the sofa and playtime in the back garden. He slept with his head on Alice's daughter's lap (a two year old), happily nuzzling her and showing her gentle love. On a walk down the road he was introduced to Alice's father working in the field. The father is currently not considered a suspect in this case, although it is known that he is looking for a new canine companion.

Jack was returned to his foster home before Becky got back from her busy day out. The experience has not appeared to have any detrimental effect on him. When interviewed, Jack said:

"It was great fun running around in a new garden with lots of toys in it. Woof woof! I played with a big ball and enjoyed sleeping on the sofa. The human 'puppy' was happy when I licked her and I put my head on her lap. I am not allowed on the sofa in my other home...Neutral"

Doggy kidnappings are also planned for next.

Beckyalice
Fosterer

Back to top Go down

Jack - Border Collie, Dog (5 Years old).  Empty Problem dog? Moi? It's not me, it's your world!

Post  Beckyalice on Wed May 25, 2011 8:28 pm

Jack - Border Collie, Dog (5 Years old).  22052012
My knee got in the way in this photo, but I thought that Jack needed more pics in his blog. He is such a handsome chappy after all!! Wit woo, Jack!

He was a little distracted in this photo because there was a lot going on in this park - there was a lot of excitement in the air as children ran around in the playground, and dogs ran around playing ball with their owners etc. I may have been a little optimistic in allowing Jack on this outing. Jack found all the activity a little too much to cope with and so I had to walk him in isolated areas of the park. He definitely needs some help with his confidence building and controlled social interactions with other dogs. He is not aggressive, just confused and uncertain about the 'normal' dog world.

I'm very proud of Jack. Yesterday we learned the "down" command (for lie down) - I followed Victoria Stilwells advice in how to teach your dog this command. At first, I thought that her method just wasn't going to work with Jack. You basically ask the dog to sit and give him a treat, then you move a flat hand with a treat in it onto the floor, saying nothing at this point. The idea is that the dog uses his brain to try to work out how to get the treat. Jack nibbled around my hand, tried to lick my face, stamped his feet, made some funny vocal sounds but did not lay down. Victoria said that patience was needed for this task... and just when I thought it wasn't working, and I was doing something wrong, Jack plonked his belly down on the floor!! Very Happy We did this a few times (but not faultlessly), and then added the word "down" as his belly touched the floor. This all took about 10 minutes, which I thought was amazing. He hasn't learned the command properly yet, so we will do some more training today..... I've also discovered that Jack is a sucker for gravy bones!!! Nom nom!

We had a little 'oops' on a walk yesterday... Jack had a mad barking fit at a man that emerged from the forest beside the green space we were having a run around in. Once he gets fixated on something the only way to stop him is to remove him from the situation. I'm currently trying to work out how I can prevent this behaviour before it happens, and help him associate 'offences' (in his perception) with good things. Gravy bones may be the way forward in this - a treat while he is in a calm, positive state BEFORE the bad thing happens... I've just got to work out what all the 'bad things' are so I can watch out for them. Jack and I are both learning together.

PREACH: I can't resist going off track here slightly. Jack's problems would not be problems if he was kept in the world that he felt safe and comfortable in. He is not a problem dog, he just lives in a world that he finds problematic. As humans it is our responsibility to help our companion animals function in a healthy and happy way... Any dog can be a problem dog without the right guidance - even if you get a puppy, they will need to be helped to understand the world that they are to live in. But we also need to appreciate that dogs have needs too (physical, emotional and intellectual). There has to be compromise between the world we offer them and the elements of the world that must exist in order for them to be happy.

If you care about dogs, please give a rescue dog a second chance. You'll reap many rewards as you see them blossom with your guidance and love. The road may not be an easy one, but it'll be paved with fun, pride and achievement. Best of all, your dog will love and appreciate you forever I love you

Beckyalice
Fosterer

Back to top Go down

Jack - Border Collie, Dog (5 Years old).  Empty BRIMMING WITH PRIDE!!

Post  Beckyalice on Thu May 26, 2011 11:08 pm

I am sooooo incredibly proud of Jack today! cheers He is such a super little dog!

This morning at 8:50am we had the VETS affraid !! Oh yes! If I am honest, I was dreading this experience... dogs don't tend to like the vets, and there are always other dogs and animals in the waiting room... and Jack gets very excitable around other dogs... and is wary of meeting new people, especially men... NIGHTMARE! :face:

I kept myself calm, knowing that Jack would feed from my energy. I had to be confident and sure of myself to show him that it was all going to be ok. When we entered the reception room, my heart sank a little pale when I saw 3 other dogs and a small crate with a cat cat in. I praised Jack in the way an over-zealous mother might speak to her adorable little baby every time it gurgles, fiddles or smiles: "Atta boy Jack , who's a clever boy?! What a good boy you are." It went on...

...but it worked! Certainly, the other humans present must have thought I was a little odd, but I don't take myself seriously enough to care :joker:. Jack said hello to a pretty brindle mongrel, ignored a very handsome Jack Russell (who just looked at him in a very dignified and slightly disinterested fashion - obviously didn't approve of Jack's rather 'commom' behaviour), didn't seem to notice the cat and couldn't talk to the chocolate lab because its owner kept him away from us all. Most importantly though, Jack was relatively calm and cool Cool , although I know this is because I encouraged him to behave this way. Verbal reminders of 'gently' seem to have an effect on him.

I was incredibly proud of him Very Happy. He was a little unsure about the male Vet, but gentle encouragement from the very nice Vet helped him to trust him enough for his injections to be done quickly and without fuss. Afterwards the Vet sat down on the floor with him and asked Jack to sit for a few treats. This was accepted humbly by Jack, and with a little unease but his confidence seemed to have improved somewhat. Atta boy!

The Vet said he was a very handsome chap!!!

The Vet gave me some advice about his tendency to go mad when another dog comes along when we're walking. He said to enforce my pack leader status by asking him to sit every so often when we are walking - I have been doing something similar to this, but we'll follow the Vet's advice. He also suggested Jack was socialised with some 'Stooge' dogs - these are dogs who are very calm and self confident, who would show him the correct way for dogs to behave around each other. Any offers??

After the vet visit I decided that Jack would need to unwind and de-stress, so we had a lovely walk by the river in Bridgnorth. I knew we would most likely meet other dogs, but I am not going to avoid the rest of the world just because Jack is a little silly sometimes. We did meet some other dogs and Jack did get excited, but thankfully the other dog owners allowed Jack to greet their dogs and say hello. After meeting the third dog on the walk (a bitch obviously used for breeding), Jack had calmed down enough to respond to verbal commands to keep him walking past her.

When we got to the fields I thought it was time for Jack to have a proper 'blow-out' and to just run. At first I kept him on the lead to practice his recall and check his concentration on me was solid. I then braved him off the lead, continuing the same commands - "This way!" (running away from him), "Come!", and then "Sit!" (with a nice treat). He did well until the smells in the bushes were too much to ignore, so I popped him back on the lead.

Jack - Border Collie, Dog (5 Years old).  26052012

It's tough, but he needs a chance to get used to his world. At the moment he is dealing with a lot of new things and his senses are overloaded with new sounds, sights and smells. He is bound to be excited about all this interesting stuff, especially if he hasn't been that well stimulated in his past life. Given time, he'll be a fantastic dog for the right person... that's if I can bare to let him go! Crying or Very sad

Just look at him!
Jack - Border Collie, Dog (5 Years old).  26052014

Beckyalice
Fosterer

Back to top Go down

Jack - Border Collie, Dog (5 Years old).  Empty Jack's first week

Post  Beckyalice on Mon May 30, 2011 10:07 pm

I have been away for a few days visiting a good friend of mine and her 16 week old twins. Jack has been at home with the rest of his foster family... although I have been receiving regular updates on his behaviour and progress.

He has been a very good boy...

...if we ignore the cookie snaffling incident. The eight year old inhabitant of my home absent mindedly left her cookie on the table while they all popped out to go to Cubs. Unsurprisingly, Jack assumed this was fair game - finders keepers - and so the cookie had disappeared on their return. It didn't take much detective work to discover who had snaffled the treat :suspect: .

Jack has been a very good boy...

... he has learnt how to walk better on the lead. He pulls much less now, and will sit when you stop and tell him to wait. There are times when he doesn't but this tends to be because he is distracted by something else in his surroundings - a typical collie trait! They are extremely intelligent, biddable dogs, until something smelly, noisy or funny looking attracts their attention! Rolling Eyes

My old border collie's Achilles Heel was a group of lads playing football. Once she saw and heard the ball being kicked, she was off and there was nothing I could do! There have been too many witnesses to my helpless shouts of "Tess, Tess, Tess!" on playing fields around the Stourport area (where I used to live). In the end, to save my dignity in the face of 14 year old boys, I had to be 'football' aware and clip her back on her lead whenever a ball was in sight. This is an example of the type of compromise you might have to make in relation to a collie's 'distracted' nature, but I've heard of many other funny and also sometimes traumatic experiences of this tendency - it's one to watch out for.

We use a harness with Jack rather than attach the lead to his collar. He is better behaved on the harness than the lead, but I have another reason for this choice - I suspect that Jack was tethered to something at some point, and possibly with a chain or something hard which went around his neck. It is possible that he was walked incorrectly on a choke chain - they can cause a lot of damage to a dog, see: http://www.positivedogs.co.uk/Choke%20Chains!.htm. He sometimes has a nasty dry cough that is aggravated by being pulled round his neck, and I strongly suspect this has been caused by a restraint of some sort in his previous life. The harness can sometimes aggravate him too, so I am careful to pull him sideways rather than backwards.

ENQUIRY!!!!
Someone has contacted me regarding Jack as he is interested in rehoming him. This is a two way street of course and Jack interest's also need to be considered. The key areas for a successful home for Jack would include:

• Plenty of intellectual stimulation - he is capable of learning a lot, and needs the mental challenge.
  • Plenty of exercise - some structured, some more relaxed and playful.
  • Obedience training or agility training would be a thrill for Jack, but he needs his social skills to improve first!
  • Socialisation - not just with dogs, but with other people and animals that he may encounter in his every day life.
  • Clear boundaries - he needs to know what he can and cannot do, and these boundaries must be enforced.
  • A carefully considered diet (he's currently on Chappie which is a nice, easy to digest food that rarely aggravates allergies) - I have a feeling that certain foods may cause a tendency to be overactive, like certain E numbers in children.
  • A family or couple of experienced dog owners, preferably with collie experience or another intelligent high energy breed. I wouldn't advise that he lives with small children because he gets a bit 'rough and tumble' in his play, which an adult can correct but which a child may inadvertantly encourage. He has a tendency to 'mouth'.
  • He needs/wants a lot of love and attention... I try to keep this on 'my' terms otherwise he gets a bit big for his boots!! Rolling Eyes BUT he is lovely to cuddle - never met such a cuddly dog in all my life! I suspect he would like a home where he is allowed on the sofa and to sleep beside the bed (not allowed here, sorry Jack!).

We meet the potential re-homer on Saturday 11th June... although I've just realised that I have missed a Saturday out - maybe I'll bring this forward to this Saturday 4th June. I have collie tendencies too - get easily distracted! Doh.

Beckyalice
Fosterer

Back to top Go down

Jack - Border Collie, Dog (5 Years old).  Empty A lotta loving!

Post  Beckyalice on Tue May 31, 2011 10:03 am

It has been a funny ol' day with Jack. He has seemed extra specially in need of love, affection and reassurance today bounce . He's worn me out with his attention seeking!! It is hard, but the best way to handle this behaviour is to ignore it and therefore not encourage it. Otherwise he will just crave more and more of it as he learns that his attention seeking works. Trust me, he gets plenty of attention but on the terms of the humans in his life, not his.

However, Jack continues to be adorable and surprisingly intelligent. He learns something new every day, or just gets better at the things he has already learned. I think he is trying to work out how to open doors, and am convinced he knows how to open our back gate - hence the reason the lock stays on!! He's like a toddler with a bark!

I would love to see what he would be like as an agility dog - he loves being outdoors and active, as well as using his very clever mind. I also wonder if he would benefit from living with another dog... this is untested of course, but I sometimes feel a sensible playmate might help him more/faster than any human. Dogs speak the same language after all!

Anyway, I am hoping he relaxes tonight with the new 'calming' herbal infusion bought today, whilst wearing his new, rather flash collar (well, don't you look handsome Jack!). So, off to bed... Sleep

Beckyalice
Fosterer

Back to top Go down

Jack - Border Collie, Dog (5 Years old).  Empty Settling in

Post  Beckyalice on Thu Jun 02, 2011 6:01 am

It is true to say that Jack is settling in well and adapting to his new lifestyle.

JACK FACTS

• Jack loves his pack! Currently this consists of 2 adults and 2 older children.
  • He is fine in the car (currently needs a little reminding to stay in the back!) - seems to quite enjoy his journeys out because he has begun to learn that they lead to exciting places like forests and other fun places to walk and snuffle (my affectionate term for his method of sniffing).
  • He is adjusting to being left alone for a couple of hours at a time - we really do have a fantastic neighbour! It isn't his most favourite part of living with us, but sometimes we have to go where doggies can't - I'd prefer to take him with me of course!
  • There are no house-training issues with him now. I will not promise that a new house will not spark his marking tendency off again, but at least we have identified that he tends to do this after eating.
  • He responds beautifully to commands (beginning to wonder if he thinks his name is 'off' though) within the home, and is getting better at responding while out on walks. Continued and consistent training will help him improve in this area.
  • Mostly Jack just loves life and interacting with people and other dogs - he needs to be reminded where the boundaries are, but he is so smart I know that he will get there with the right guidance.
  • He gives the best doggy cuddles you will ever have had!!

I think we are all relaxing and beginning to understand each other now. We have to learn about Jack as much as he has to learn about us, and there has been compromise on both sides in the quest to get along with each other. He still doesn't show much compulsion to want to play with dog toys, but did engage in a game of tug with me one day (by accident) - I'm not keen on playing this game until a dog understands the 'leave it' command so the game was short lived. He is, however, now the proud owner of a 'Kong' which he loves when he realises it is full of treats!! It's sort of a toy, and he does enjoy figuring out how to empty it without getting frustrated with it (like my old Collie used to, bless her).

All in all, life is good at the moment cheers

Beckyalice
Fosterer

Back to top Go down

Post  Beckyalice on Fri Jun 03, 2011 8:07 am

Jack just gets better every day and he is marvellous!

On walks he is really developing his attentiveness with his walker. He now walks beside me and often looks up at me every so often, just to connect with me. He always makes me smile because I swear he is wearing a massive grin on his face also!! Very Happy

Jack really has improved immensely on walks (I'm so proud of him), but there are still issues to work through. His lack of socialisation means that strange noises and sights often worry him - I've yet to see him show any signs of aggression, just uncertainty in his world. I am hoping that continued walks (he does get two quite substantial walks a day) in my local countryside, which is full of wildlife and farm animals (horses, cows, sheep, dogs, cats, rabbits, humans etc), so hopefully he will soon get bored of it all... all this takes time though.

Anyone interested in adopting Jack will need to take into account the fact that he is really a 5 year old puppy! And will probably remain so for the next 5 years... collie types don't like to accept that they aren't puppies, even when they are well over ten years old!! This is a high energy dog bounce who needs lots of walks and physical activities...

...sorry Jack, yes I did mention you like cuddles... pardon? No, I haven't written it this time but... Oh ok, I'll write it again...

I love you I love you I love you Jack loves cuddles!!! I love you I love you I love you

Happy now, Jack? Gooood!

Beckyalice
Fosterer

Back to top Go down

Jack - Border Collie, Dog (5 Years old).  Empty Scary goings on in the garden!

Post  Beckyalice on Sat Jun 04, 2011 1:40 am

No Oh dear... as I suspected, Jack does NOT like the lawn mower! It's noisy and moves in a funny way - not sure he's ever seen one before?? But I am not certain how this can be possible. I sometimes wonder if he has been locked away in an alternative universe for the past 5 years. There are so many things in the world that seem to shock him, but these are just normal things that most happily settled dogs will encounter on a day-to-day basis.

Jack has been outside for most of the day. The back door has been left open and so he has been free to come inside when he wants, but the beautiful weather seems to delight him immensely flower . He does seem to prefer to be outside, but not if it completely blocks him away from his pack. He adores company! Although he has been happy to be separated from us today in the garden, this is probably because he knows he can come back in to see us if he wants.

Unfortunately, I'm not outside because I am doing work for my Occupational Therapy degree (well, when I am not being distracted by doggy related things)... It's not a great hardship because I am enjoying the work and it means I am able to be around with Jack inside while the lawn mowing is going on outside. Next Tuesday, I will get to see PAT dogs in action at the hospital I am on placement at, and so I am quite excited!! Unfortunately, I think that Jack may be a little excitable for this type of role in life... bless him!

Beckyalice
Fosterer

Back to top Go down

Jack - Border Collie, Dog (5 Years old).  Empty Not so much PAT a dog ....

Post  Ria on Sat Jun 04, 2011 1:57 am

but maybe if you can find a "Give a dog endless cuddles, and don't mind if he gets very excited?" qualification, then he would have no problem qualifying.
Ria
Ria
Fosterer

Back to top Go down

Post  Beckyalice on Sat Jun 04, 2011 3:24 am

Ahhh, he qualifies hands down on the 'give the dog cuddles, and don't mind if he gets excited' qualification!

Jack is such a joy to be around - he's brilliant at raising your sprits with his lively personality. After a long day at work, just when you think you only have enough energy to slump on the sofa, Jack comes bounding up to you with a massive doggy grin (with tongue hanging out!) and suddenly you feel there's enough energy left in you for a walk with Jack!

He is so curious about everything that you find yourself seeing the world in a different way. Life will never be dull to anyone who has Jack in their pack! It only only takes one Jack cuddle before someone is hooked... some even simply fall after receiving a look from his 'soft' eyes expression. Few have been able to resist his charms...

Jack, also known as Casanova!

Dare you meet him and look him in the eyes?? Your heart I love you will be stolen forever!

Beckyalice
Fosterer

Back to top Go down

Jack - Border Collie, Dog (5 Years old).  Empty A calmer Jack

Post  Beckyalice on Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:37 am

It has been a fantastic few days with Jack. He is really settling down to living in a home, and beginning to understand certain rules. Although I think he never be cured of his desire to jump up on you for cuddles, especially while you're busy trying to get on with other things - he's a monkey!!

He has loved being outside in the sunny weather, and often has to be encouraged to come inside. I wonder whether he'd be happy with a nice little dog house of his own, so that when he's outside he has somewhere that is his to go into. As long as he isn't made to stay outside 'in the doghouse' Laughing .

I've not been feeling too well this week and Jack has been a little darling, running to me every time I sneeze. I'm not sure what he thought he could do for me, or if it was actually genuine concern - I think he thought my pathetic sneezes were funny and had to run up to me to check that I really had made that funny noise!

There has been another enquiry about Jack... so we'll see how that goes. Anyone interested in the lovely fella will need to be prepared to come and visit him at the Forest Dog Rescue Centre, to be home checked and to pay a donation to the kennels. Further information can be found by contacting the rescue centre via phone or email:
Looking to re-home a dog:
Tel: 01299 266313 (9am - 5pm)
Email: rehome@forest-dog-rescue.org.uk

Bless him, he is currently being given cuddles by Rich, and he keeps looking at me as if to say 'look at me getting all the loving!' I have never met such a soppy dog in all my life!! He is impossible not to love! Ooops, it's my turn now... can't type... have dog in the way... ach! Signing off for tonight then... come here then, Jack, you silly boy.

Beckyalice
Fosterer

Back to top Go down

Jack - Border Collie, Dog (5 Years old).  Empty What a day!

Post  Beckyalice on Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:15 am

I dashed out of the house this morning leaving Jack and the rest of the family behind... During the day he was checked on by my fabulous neighbour and most likely given cuddles and play time in her house!

As soon as I return home, Jack is dancing and whining and grumbling at me (he has some hilarious sounds - I swear he is trying to talk sometimes!). I am always of the opinion that a dog should be ignored whilst in this heightened state of excitement, otherwise I would simply be rewarding him for this rather silly behaviour. Jack is persistent though, and after ignoring the whining, the jumping up, and the grumbles he then tries full on barking at me: "I'm here! I'm here! Why can't you see me? Why are you not giving me attention?" He is soo funny - but I don't like being barked at and so I ignore him until he calms down and has settled. Then I give him loads of fuss and take him for a loooong walk...

On the walk...

Wait & Sit
Jack is such a little show-off now! Country lanes cannot be avoided around where I live, and so I always ask Jack to sit and wait whenever a car comes by. It reinforces my pack leadership (?? I think I might have some..) and also keeps us safer if he is still when vehicles pass us. I barely need to tell him the command any more - I just catch his attention and then signal a sit with my hand. He rarely doesn't respond now, except when he is too preoccupied snuffling!! He is the King of Snuffles!

Cows 1
Cows? What Cows?
Jack happily walked past a small of cows today, and they were standing right by the fence. He gave them a cursory look and then just trotted on by. That's my boy... cows are no longer scary, it seems!

Cows 2
Thanks Jack!
It seems I have now built up a slight revulsion to cows... or rather, what cows often leave behind themselves... I was enjoying the glorious evening walk - the sun, the warmth, the beautiful countryside views, the busy birds around me... when suddenly, Jack rolls in something! Unfortunately, I didn't discover what he had rolled in until I gave him a big squishy cuddle for being such a good boy when I asked him to wait and sit... the sticky, brown stuff that was then caked on my hands was not very pleasant, and I admit that I did indeed swear Shocked - the word I used described the substance perfectly. Jack looked soo pleased with himself - cheeky little monkey Very Happy

Cocky Spaniel
As we walked past a driveway leading to a farmhouse, a little Cocker Spaniel came running down the drive to tell Jack off for being on his turf! This is not the ideal thing to happen when walking Jack because he often mirrors the behaviour of the other dog, and so I worried that a little 'argument' might occur between them. However, Jack surprised me Shocked. He was definitely excited by the Cocker, but I kept walking him forwards whilst saying "C'mon". He had no choice but to follow my lead (or his lead! tee hee) and eventually stopped twisting round to see the other dog. He didn't whine or bark! His reaction time has really shortened and also his excitement levels seem to have relaxed somewhat too. Hopefully, with time, he will completely relax around other dogs, but he requires direction, and needs a strong person that he can trust and follow.

Jogger
We met with a jogging man along the way. I was feeling especially fit and healthy doing the long circular walk, but felt less physically capable in comparison to the smiling man jogging past. I instinctively knew that Jack would pick up on the lively energy of this man and so I quickly shortened his lead, just in time to prevent him (plus his new hair styling agent and perfume) jumping on the man as he ran past. I'm not sure he would've been smiling for much longer if I'd not taken this preventative measure...No Jack really responds to the energy of others and so this is worth noting if issues are to be avoided.

BATHTIME
Jack smelled awful when I got him back and so there was only one thing that I could do - give him a bath! He was wonderful. I don't think he enjoyed it especially, although Jack loves almost all forms of attention, but he stayed still while I covered him in water and doggy shampoo. Afterwards he did a massive shake (I stood well back as I could see it coming) and then he madly dashed around the garden. Now, I know that you are supposed to keep your dog indoors after a bath... but I challenge anyone to catch/stop Jack while he is dashing like a mad thing around the garden! It was hilarious though lol! . He eventually did come inside after I had persuaded him to come over to me, and he felt the joys of a rub down with a towel (he went all soppy and floppy on me). And he now smells and looks as as sweet as a flower! flower I will post more pics when I get them downloaded onto my computer.

No day is ever the same with Jack!

Beckyalice
Fosterer

Back to top Go down

Jack - Border Collie, Dog (5 Years old).  Empty Sunday, Rainy Sunday!

Post  Beckyalice on Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:00 am

Well, I discovered today that I live with a load of fair weather dog walkers! It became clear by mid afternoon that no-one was really that keen on walking Jack with me because the rain just kept on falling. So Jack and I donned our outdoor wear and set off...

Jack - Border Collie, Dog (5 Years old).  12062010
Well I think we look good!

I'm not sure that Jack was convinced that the walk was a good idea either shortly after starting it...

Jack - Border Collie, Dog (5 Years old).  12062011

We soldiered on and hit the forest floor with welly and paw - nothing could stop us!

Jack - Border Collie, Dog (5 Years old).  12062012

I discovered that Jack is excellent at finding the least muddy route (he doesn't like to get his paws dirty or wet - he's got an image to keep up you know!) and so decided to follow his lead... but maybe his sense of direction isn't always that great... where are we going here, Jack??? Question

Jack - Border Collie, Dog (5 Years old).  12062013

This route didn't seem to actually be going anywhere and so I suggested we moved back to the 'path', but then I did realise he had helped us avoid a really muddy patch. He's a clever boy!

However, when we returned home, we hadn't escaped the mud, as our clothing clearly showed... But the mud is better on the clothing than on the dog... or human!

Jack - Border Collie, Dog (5 Years old).  12062015

Well, I enjoyed our walk anyway! A walk with Jack is always good fun! He's now stretched out on the floor... oops spoke too soon! Good evening, Jack!

Beckyalice
Fosterer

Back to top Go down

Jack - Border Collie, Dog (5 Years old).  Empty Visit to Ludlow

Post  Beckyalice on Sun Jun 19, 2011 10:28 pm

The new Forest Dog Rescue shop opened in Ludlow yesterday and I wanted to take Jack along to see the new shop... however, I was also aware that he is a little unsure of town environments and a busy Saturday in Ludlow may have been a slightly unfair experience to subject Jack to right now. However, we decided to go late in the afternoon, and arrive when the shops were due to close and the when the town was quieter...

Unfortunately Neutral, we didn't realise the shop closed at 4:30pm and not 5pm... so we were a little too late to say hello to anyone. But we did bump into Alison & Maureen from Forest Dog Rescue and they were happy to see Jack. His photo was displayed on the shop front, and a few people stopped and pointed at Jack and then his photo - I think this means he has now achieved celebratory status! No 'takers' as yet though No .

One lady commented that Jack was very similar looking to her 5 year old bitch. I wondered if there was a chance they were from the same litter, and we discussed their characters and funny little ways. They seemed to be very similar characters, except that her bitch had been hers since a puppy and had been raised in a stable environment (no, not with horses!) with proper direction. I feel desperately sorry for Jack that he did not have the same opportunity in life. The lady said her dog was now calming down, and I enviously listened to this, as Jack is not calming down - he is only just beginning to live his life, and the world is an exciting and slightly disconcerting place sometimes. Again, it saddens me what he has missed out on for 5 years of his life.

How lucky am I that I have been able to be with him during all his new experiences??! Very Happy

Jack impressed me so much in Ludlow, and gave a very good impression to others as well. When we stood by the shop chatting, a lady approached us with two small terrier type dogs (they may have been Westies or Cairns - not completely sure, as I only have eyes for Jack!! cyclops ). Usually this sort of encounter will send Jack into a complete spin (yes, literally!) showing a heightened state of anxiety, and this close proximity with other dogs is something we generally avoid at present. He showed interest (ears pricked forwards, eyes focused) but did not react straight away, and so I simply called his name to get his attention. He responded to me and broke his concentration on the worrying 'things' (I did this several times to try to avoid the anxiety reaction). I stood and chatted while the other dogs were roughly 3 metres away, and only once did I need to actually distract Jack by calling 'this way' and physically moving away from the situation. This is a vast improvement on what he was like 4 weeks ago (gosh has it been that long?? Question ) when he first joined us.

We walked around Ludlow and the Castle, and encountered many other dogs and new experiences along the way. He wasn't always perfect but he was never beyond 'control' in any situation. I have taught him the 'this way' command during play and so he has learned it is very exciting to follow this request. In turn this command can now be used in situations when I really do need him to come 'this way' and away from the thing that is stressing him. Of course, there is only a small window of opportunity when this command can be used with effect - any good dog owner will know that timing is everything.

I'll have to issue Jack's new human leader with a list of commands and strategies that I use to help him in certain situations! He is such a clever dog that his repertoire of understandings increased on a regular basis... but he is a typical collie in the sense that sometimes he 'forgets' what a command means, especially when it doesn't suit he current desires!! Cheeky chappy! I love the fact he has some self efficacy, though.

The amazing thing about Jack is what he has learned and adapted to within the 4 weeks he has been with me. He is a much calmer, happier dog these days. There are certain traits that need to be managed, but he has shown a marked improvement within every area. He is a happier dog Thursday-Sunday when he has less time left alone by his pack. My neighbour takes care of him during the day on Monday-Wednesday, but even with this care he does show signs of stress during these days.

He really needs a home where he can develop a strong bond with his pack (if there is another dog then it needs to be a calmer dog who can cope with Jack's energy, and hopefully help Jack learn how to be a calmer dog himself), and where he will have less time alone. The main reason that I could not keep Jack is that in a few years time it is likely that I will be away from home longer than he can cope with. It would not be fair on him to live that life. I love him to pieces and know that there is someone out there for him who will love him every bit as much. He has a few issues that he needs help with, but they are not impossible or that difficult to deal with, but any human leader in his life would need to have a commitment to continuing his education - BUT it is so much fun teaching Jack new things and so rewarding watching him develop into the wonderful dog that I know he can be. His forever home must be out there somewhere??

Last edited by Beckyalice on Thu Jul 07, 2011 4:46 am; edited 1 time in total

Beckyalice
Fosterer

Back to top Go down

Jack - Border Collie, Dog (5 Years old).  Empty Jack is still in the building!

Post  Beckyalice on Thu Jul 07, 2011 4:44 am

Ok ok ok! After being teased by a fellow fosterer about whether Jack has been in coma, I get the hint!! Laughing I have been so incredibly busy writing a reflective diary for my practice placement every evening, that there just hasn't been time to write in Jack's blog. That's not to say that I have not been giving Jack any attention in the mean time. You can't ignore Jack! He won't allow that!

What have we been up to lately then? In all honesty, we've not done anything that exciting or extra to our normal routine. Jack gets a few walks every day, rain or shine. He just loves walking with his human companion, and is mostly so well behaved. I'm definitely feeling fitter than I have done in a while!

We saw Jack's favourite doggy buddy the other day (I hardly recognised him because he'd had a posh hair cut). It makes me so happy to see Jack with another dog who he doesn't bark at and get overly excited about. They are quite similar in character, but the other dog has not learned the 'coping mechanism' that Jack has learnt (to go in a spin and make lots of noise). It made me giggle when they both walked around each other, occasionally whining and then trying to sniff the other. When one of them made a sudden move, the other would quickly retreat, until they realised it was safe to say hello again. It is just like Broke Back Moutain!

Then, just as I was feeling all gushing and proud of my little foster dog, he gets spooked by the dog in the garden that we always have to pass on one of our walks. This dog just barks at anything, and is very territorial. In fact he's getting on a few people's nerves in the neighbourhood. Jack holds his own and barks back, and I just have to keep him moving forward saying 'this way' or else he'll get really upset by it. I have to comment though, Jack's response time to this dog is getting shorter. The other dog barks for much much longer than he does now. Poor little Jack just needs some nice friendly dogs in his life, so he can learn that other dogs are so much fun!

In a foolish moment the other day I decided to build a small jump (it was very Blue Peter 'styleee'). I thought it would be fun to see if Jack would jump over it to command. We had great fun!! Jack loves interaction bounce and a mental challenge study , and he definitely showed signs of a natural flair for agility (or jumping over a small jump at least). I have never done agility, and neither do I know the proper way to train a dog in this type of thing... but he was very good, even for an amateur like me!!

Someone needs to take him off my hands and train him properly in agility, before I use all the incorrect commands and ruin him! Maybe that could be my 'edge' - if you don't adopt Jack now I will teach him all the wrong command words!! Mwah hahahaha affraid.

Don't worry, I won't do that! I will do anything to find Jack love, but I won't do that!

We have had a couple of enquiries about Jack, with only one real possibility, but I think they changed their minds because they realised they had an issue with leaving him alone 3 days a week for 7ish hours. This is why dog walkers, family, friends and neighbours are all worth consulting when you're thinking about having a dog. My dream business would be to offer 'doggy daycare' (like a childminding business for dogs), where people who work during the day could drop their dogs off in the morning and pick them up after work. Meanwhile the dogs would have playtime and exercise (maybe with eachother if they were friendly), and lots of mental stimulation to keep their clever minds occupied... My theory is that the easier it is for people to keep a dog, the less likely they are to end up in rescue kennels, and if they do end up in kennels they are more likely to be adopted if there are options for occupying their dogs during the day.

Pipe dreams for me unfortunately!

In the mean time, I'll just have to help this one wonderful dog find a fabulous home... it's my last week of practice placement this week and so I will soon be able to spend some more time and effort into finding his forever home.

Beckyalice
Fosterer

Back to top Go down

Jack - Border Collie, Dog (5 Years old).  Empty Get a poster together ....

Post  Ria on Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:22 pm

If Rich could do a nice poster for Jack, then I'm sure as well as having it up at the FDR shops and the kennels, Sarah (jesses mum) would kindly put it up over Golden Valley Dog Training Centre, where agility and flyball are taught. There are often people looking for the right dog, like Jack, and who could resist those eyes? I love you
Ria
Ria
Fosterer

Back to top Go down

Jack - Border Collie, Dog (5 Years old).  Empty Jumping Jack

Post  jesses mum on Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:41 pm

I would be more than happy to put up a poster if you could do it TODAY we have the grand opening of the club house tomorrow night so ther would be plenty of folks about. Also could take it to Fownhope next weekend with Tags to put on my friends stall

jesses mum
Adopter

Back to top Go down

Jack - Border Collie, Dog (5 Years old).  Empty Jumping Jack indeed!

Post  Beckyalice on Sat Jul 09, 2011 5:57 am

That is such a true description of 'our Jack' here! One his naughties is jumping up at people - he's all about action and wants to be part of everything fun going on. I think he is making up for lost time!

Rich has already put a poster together for Jack, but it is very graphic designer-y and there's lots of green on it... which is fine when you don't use the amount of ink I currently use on a regular basis. Unfortunately, I can't afford to waste that much ink on unnecessary green colour!! I might ask him if he could just do green frames and leave the blanks white... it just may be too hard for him to let go of his graphic designer 'standards' though - it's all about the design, you know!! I feel cruel now - of course the poster is brilliant that he has designed, it's just not very student budget friendly on ink usage!! lol Very Happy

I might have to put something together for Jack quickly tonight, as he is out now. My efforts in poster design will leave much to be desired though!

Oh, and Jack... yes he us well today!

Mysteriously, some biscuits went missing yesterday evening. Silly me left some biscuits in a bag on the table while I popped out for an hour. Oddly enough, the biscuits mysteriously disappeared or evaporated during this time. The only evidence was a plastic packet and some wrapping, not a single crumb in sight. Most odd. At least the mystery biscuit eater was tidy and didn't eat anything he shouldn't!! Jack looked very pleased with himself when I returned... I can't work it out though; who would eat the biscuits???

I'll be more careful next time!

Last edited by Beckyalice on Sat Jul 09, 2011 5:57 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : I can't spell!)

Beckyalice
Fosterer

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next