Rescue Dog Support Group
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Dog rescue blog
Retractable Leads EmptyMon Mar 10, 2014 3:14 am by chels335

» writing a book about rescue dogs
Retractable Leads EmptyThu Sep 12, 2013 9:14 am by pmbohio

» Mary Lou
Retractable Leads EmptyTue Jul 23, 2013 9:18 am by Iloveotis

» Sponsored Walk on Sunday 23 June in aid of Tucker's TTA Surgery
Retractable Leads EmptyMon Jul 08, 2013 9:33 pm by Ria

» Mary Lou
Retractable Leads EmptySun Jul 07, 2013 2:50 pm by Iloveotis

» Looks like my fostering days are over
Retractable Leads EmptySun Jul 07, 2013 4:38 am by Ria

» Denzil
Retractable Leads EmptyTue May 28, 2013 7:50 am by Jackie

» Nico - Rhodesian Ridgeback, Dog (3 Years)
Retractable Leads EmptyTue May 28, 2013 7:45 am by Jackie

» Walk on 26 May 2013 -Riverside walk from Blackstone, Bewdley to Arley and back
Retractable Leads EmptyFri May 24, 2013 8:22 pm by elka

» British Camp from Hollybush - circular walk will now take place on 28 April 2013
Retractable Leads EmptyMon Apr 08, 2013 6:56 am by Nina

» WALK CANCELLED
Retractable Leads EmptySun Mar 24, 2013 6:10 am by Angela

» Walk on 24 March 2013 British Camp from Hollybush - circular walk
Retractable Leads EmptySun Mar 24, 2013 6:08 am by Angela

» Wyre Forest - camping with the dogs
Retractable Leads EmptySat Feb 09, 2013 7:05 am by Angela

» The Royal Forrester, Callow Hill, Bewdley
Retractable Leads EmptySun Jan 27, 2013 3:12 am by Angela

» Food Aggression
Retractable Leads EmptyWed Jan 23, 2013 11:31 pm by Jackie

» Walk on Sunday 27 January 2013
Retractable Leads EmptyWed Jan 23, 2013 1:06 am by siandavis82

» Walk on Sunday 24 February 2013 - Yarpole Circular Route
Retractable Leads EmptyWed Jan 23, 2013 12:37 am by Ria

» Denzel - Working Cocker Spaniel, Dog (5 Years)
Retractable Leads EmptyTue Jan 22, 2013 9:57 pm by jesses mum

» Teeth
Retractable Leads EmptySun Jan 13, 2013 6:14 am by AnnieP

» mug house Bewdley
Retractable Leads EmptyWed Jan 09, 2013 3:31 am by Ria

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Retractable Leads

3 posters

Go down

Retractable Leads Empty Retractable Leads

Post  Ria Wed Jan 04, 2012 4:10 am

I am a huge advocate of the 8 metre retractable lead by Flexi. It has a very strong mechanism and I have never had a problem with the retracting mechanism. Do not be fooled by cheaper alternatives.

Click here to see Flexi Retractable Lead

The beauty of this particular model is the comfort handle. The corded variety is far superior to a tape. Tapes on full extension are not easy to retract, and can sometimes get caught in the wind or twist and get stuck as they are retracting. Also, the noise of a tape retracting and extending drives you crazy!

For training purposes, the lead is excellent for recall work. It is also brilliant for giving the dog a limited amount of freedom within the length of the cord. I also like this particular model as it has a handle on the webbed part, so you can hold it like a normal lead whilst holding the retractor mechanism in the other hand.

If I am walking the dogs at the kennels, I always use my retractable lead so the dog can get a good run (around you in a circle) as well as the opportunity to have a good old furkle in the hedgerow.

The 8 metre is much better than the 5 metre, for obvious reasons. You need to practice using a retractor lead where there are no distractions, and no other pedestrians nearby. Get used to it in a protected area, such as in a field or the garden, before going out in public, as you can look a total imbecile if you don't know how to bring your dog back quickly, and it can be as dangerous as having a dog off lead if there are passing cars. Also, knowing how to lock the mechanism quickly is vital if your dog is very strong, because if it gets to the end of lead before you have locked it on, you can get a very strong jolt (an anticipated lock on is much easier to control than an out of lead rebound!).

Dogs that pull on normal leads will usually not pull on an extending lead, as they have the freedom to go backwards and forwards to investigate smells, and you can also throw balls for the dog and bring them back. It is not, however, a solution to a pulling dog, and they are not good to use with haltis. You will still find that a pulling dog will pull on the extender when it is locked on.

I always have the lead locked on the shortest setting when walking in built up areas. Never allow your dog to extend on the lead in these circumstances, as it can be extremely dangerous if they suddenly bolt and catch pedestrians with the cord, or run out into the road. Also, be aware that the lead will give painful rope burns if the dog bolts and runs around an unsuspecting person.

As the owner of a Patterdale Terrier who cannot be trusted to be let off the lead in open spaces, the retractor gives us the opportunity to give her the same amount of exercise as the foster dogs who we do allow off the lead.
Ria
Ria
Fosterer

http://www.cyclone-technology.com

Back to top Go down

Retractable Leads Empty Re: Retractable Leads

Post  Julie Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:00 am

I use the same one Ria, although an older model and find them really useful. 5m is always shorter than you think and I can't see the point of buying that one when, like you say, the 8m is readily available. I have the medium strength one for Nibs and the foster dogs and I agree that you need to be practised in the art of stopping your dog before 7.8 metres affraid I once used it with Angie/Amber and flew spectacularly towards her with her reeling backwards towards me and we almost met in the middle - I could see what was happening and had absolutely no choice but to get ready for the "retractable fling".

Ria - how do you bring them back on recall? I tend to call and give a short sharp pull whilst removing the lock so that they come back and then lock as soon as I have taken up the slack and then repeat - a bit like reeling in a fish ... not sure that is the correct way
Julie
Julie

http://www.belyaevrats.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  karenelliott Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:10 am

I am a recent convert to retractable leads - my only previous experience was a small tape lead that my grandmother used for her Lhasa Apso and my perception was that they were pretty flimsy and suited to smaller dogs.

I have Ria to thank for introducing me to the 8m comfort extender: I was initially impressed by how sturdy it seemed and have enjoyed using it since we adopted Baz 2 days ago. It bridges the gap between short lead and off-lead, and it has allowed me to practice recall to a level that I am now comfortable letting Baz off lead for much of our walks. When on the retractable, Baz just needs to be reminded with a word when he reaches 7.5m, and he will pause which avoids any pulling.

Even my Dad has been converted now!

karenelliott
Adopter

Back to top Go down

Retractable Leads Empty As my mum would say ....

Post  Ria Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:28 am

you're never too old to learn something new!

With regard to the recall Jules, I just use it as I'm walking along with the dog first of all to test their response to me. I've not had a dog yet that has ignored me, but I am one of those high pitched, excited voiced recallers that dogs seem to be unable to resist! I also use it for the wait command. I will say wait, and then put a light click on the button. If the dog doesn't stop, I will then lock the lead on and take up the slack as I walk towards the dog, reinforcing the wait command as I am doing so. I also use the lead for the "This way" command to test their ability to change direction, and for "This side" when I want them to walk down the lane on one side of the road. I really do find it invaluable for testing their response before taking the plunge to let them off lead.
Ria
Ria
Fosterer

http://www.cyclone-technology.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:07 am

I use "with me" to get them to walk alongside me and "this way" the same as you for changing direction
Julie
Julie

http://www.belyaevrats.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum