Rescue Dog Support Group
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Dog rescue blog
Chester - Crossbreed, Dog (6-8 months) EmptyMon Mar 10, 2014 3:14 am by chels335

» writing a book about rescue dogs
Chester - Crossbreed, Dog (6-8 months) EmptyThu Sep 12, 2013 9:14 am by pmbohio

» Mary Lou
Chester - Crossbreed, Dog (6-8 months) EmptyTue Jul 23, 2013 9:18 am by Iloveotis

» Sponsored Walk on Sunday 23 June in aid of Tucker's TTA Surgery
Chester - Crossbreed, Dog (6-8 months) EmptyMon Jul 08, 2013 9:33 pm by Ria

» Mary Lou
Chester - Crossbreed, Dog (6-8 months) EmptySun Jul 07, 2013 2:50 pm by Iloveotis

» Looks like my fostering days are over
Chester - Crossbreed, Dog (6-8 months) EmptySun Jul 07, 2013 4:38 am by Ria

» Denzil
Chester - Crossbreed, Dog (6-8 months) EmptyTue May 28, 2013 7:50 am by Jackie

» Nico - Rhodesian Ridgeback, Dog (3 Years)
Chester - Crossbreed, Dog (6-8 months) EmptyTue May 28, 2013 7:45 am by Jackie

» Walk on 26 May 2013 -Riverside walk from Blackstone, Bewdley to Arley and back
Chester - Crossbreed, Dog (6-8 months) EmptyFri May 24, 2013 8:22 pm by elka

» British Camp from Hollybush - circular walk will now take place on 28 April 2013
Chester - Crossbreed, Dog (6-8 months) EmptyMon Apr 08, 2013 6:56 am by Nina

» WALK CANCELLED
Chester - Crossbreed, Dog (6-8 months) EmptySun Mar 24, 2013 6:10 am by Angela

» Walk on 24 March 2013 British Camp from Hollybush - circular walk
Chester - Crossbreed, Dog (6-8 months) EmptySun Mar 24, 2013 6:08 am by Angela

» Wyre Forest - camping with the dogs
Chester - Crossbreed, Dog (6-8 months) EmptySat Feb 09, 2013 7:05 am by Angela

» The Royal Forrester, Callow Hill, Bewdley
Chester - Crossbreed, Dog (6-8 months) EmptySun Jan 27, 2013 3:12 am by Angela

» Food Aggression
Chester - Crossbreed, Dog (6-8 months) EmptyWed Jan 23, 2013 11:31 pm by Jackie

» Walk on Sunday 27 January 2013
Chester - Crossbreed, Dog (6-8 months) EmptyWed Jan 23, 2013 1:06 am by siandavis82

» Walk on Sunday 24 February 2013 - Yarpole Circular Route
Chester - Crossbreed, Dog (6-8 months) EmptyWed Jan 23, 2013 12:37 am by Ria

» Denzel - Working Cocker Spaniel, Dog (5 Years)
Chester - Crossbreed, Dog (6-8 months) EmptyTue Jan 22, 2013 9:57 pm by jesses mum

» Teeth
Chester - Crossbreed, Dog (6-8 months) EmptySun Jan 13, 2013 6:14 am by AnnieP

» mug house Bewdley
Chester - Crossbreed, Dog (6-8 months) EmptyWed Jan 09, 2013 3:31 am by Ria

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Chester - Crossbreed, Dog (6-8 months)

+3
suzisuperdogs
Nina
Administrator
7 posters

Go down

Chester - Crossbreed, Dog (6-8 months) Empty Chester - Crossbreed, Dog (6-8 months)

Post  Administrator Thu Dec 22, 2011 11:23 am

Chester - Crossbreed, Dog (6-8 months) Cheste10
Chester - Crossbreed, Dog (6-8 months) Cheste11

Chester is a fun, bouncy boy who was rescued from being put to sleep in a Pound. We have no history on Chester, but since being with us he has proven that he just loves life and is making the most of it!

Chester is a typical puppy who has a whole life of excitement ahead of him. As he is still a pup, we would like Chester to go to a home where he will not be left alone for long periods of time

Administrator
Admin

http://www.forest-dog-rescue.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Chester - Crossbreed, Dog (6-8 months) Empty More pictures

Post  Nina Fri Dec 23, 2011 6:30 am

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.196713300416983.50741.100002349431880&type=1&l=a0b6db3d14
Nina
Nina

Back to top Go down

Chester - Crossbreed, Dog (6-8 months) Empty Re: Chester - Crossbreed, Dog (6-8 months)

Post  suzisuperdogs Tue Jan 03, 2012 7:35 am

Chester has a LOT of energy, Runs around and around. Loves to chase anything you throw for him! He would definitely benefit from some good training and lots of exercise. Ive walked him a few times, first time without a harness which was hard work, but then with a harness and after some play, and he responded well to lead training, he loves his treats and responds really well to his name and a little whistle, you can easily get him to heal. Was very proud of him he walked to heal all around the field for me (well for treats really) Very Happy

suzisuperdogs

Back to top Go down

Chester - Crossbreed, Dog (6-8 months) Empty Re: Chester - Crossbreed, Dog (6-8 months)

Post  elka Sat Jan 07, 2012 5:48 am

wow this guy has energy gets a bit excited but nothing that can't be sorted..with a bit of work i think he could be a fabulous dog..he is still very young and needs to be in a home where someone can spend the time in showing him what is expected of him and to teach him a few manners i think he'll be eager to please u, just needs direction.. i think sarah has shown me a new pooch to connect too he's definately got character and thats a start for the makings of a great dog! Smile

elka

Back to top Go down

Post  Juliew39 Sat Jan 21, 2012 4:13 am

Chester - Crossbreed, Dog (6-8 months) 459784477 Chester seems to be settling in well in our home, we have been for a walk and coped well with school children, traffic and a dog off the lead. I think you could say he has us where he wants us Chester - Crossbreed, Dog (6-8 months) 4288281172

Juliew39
Adopter

Back to top Go down

Post  Juliew39 Sun Jan 22, 2012 4:26 am

Chester had a trip into town today and was very good. He was fitted for his harness at the pet shop and they couldn't believe how laid back he was. He is currently snoring his head off on the sofa Chester - Crossbreed, Dog (6-8 months) 4253416793

Juliew39
Adopter

Back to top Go down

Post  jesses mum Sun Jan 22, 2012 4:28 am

that's really good news hope you all have a long & happy life together & I'm sure we will all enjoy hearing about his adventures

jesses mum
Adopter

Back to top Go down

Post  Juliew39 Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:05 pm

Just a quick update on Chester!!

He has been with us nearly a week now and I must say he has surpassed himself with his behaviour. I must admit that I expected some bad things from him but he is a very loving and caring fun dog. He wants to be with you and please you all the time and apart from a few little mistakes in the house, he has been lovely.

He has now able to go upstairs with no bother at all and seems to have decided he is never going to get the hoover to argue back!

What a great job you have done with him at the kennels, he is still young and has a few little niggles but we would not swap him for the world. Laughing

Juliew39
Adopter

Back to top Go down

Chester - Crossbreed, Dog (6-8 months) Empty Great progress

Post  Ria Sat Jan 28, 2012 3:49 am

Sounds like Chester is doing really well. Has your son signed up for training classes with him yet? I think they would both relish the opportunity to learn new things together. No matter how much training you put in at home, it's always satisfying to get a good grounding in basic obedience. Chester will definitely come out top of the class at this rate!
Ria
Ria
Fosterer

http://www.cyclone-technology.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Juliew39 Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:52 am

We are in the process of getting him in classes, should be soon hopefully. He is doing really well we had to leave him in the house on his on for a couple of hours today and he was very good. He certainly enjoyed his treat afterwards. x

Juliew39
Adopter

Back to top Go down

Post  Juliew39 Mon Feb 13, 2012 6:51 am

Just a quick update on Chester. We have signed up for training classes which start on 23rd Feb and we are looking forward to it. Had a great time by the river today with a couple of doggie friends and after a nice bath he is fast asleep in his usual place on the sofa. I think we will all benefit from the classes as he seems to think ignoring me will make me forget to put him back on the lead!! He has grown a bit since leaving FDR and his body seems to have caught up with his head and doesnt look quite so big anymore. Will update again soon with news from the classes Chester - Crossbreed, Dog (6-8 months) 73120010

Juliew39
Adopter

Back to top Go down

Post  Juliew39 Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:38 am

Just to let you know that Chester had his first class tonight and he did very well. After an hour he would sit, down, stay and stand on command! He did he recall very well too and was better behaved than some of the other dogs. I am hoping that he will get used to the car too because he seems very scared and will only go in if you lift him in, which is fine but he is rather a bulky chap now and quite heavy. He is currently fast asleep in a posh new bed we bought him today and he seems to prefer it to the sofa, the test will come tonight and see if its better than my bed! I was very brave and let him off his lead in the park today to play with 3 other dogs and he did actually come back to me which is a result. Will send further updates soon Chester - Crossbreed, Dog (6-8 months) 459784477

Juliew39
Adopter

Back to top Go down

Chester - Crossbreed, Dog (6-8 months) Empty Facebook question

Post  Ria Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:52 pm

Hi Julie,

I only just noticed your question on facebook about Chester's separation anxiety and destructive behaviour. It's best to post on here if you have any questions, because Facebook moves so fast that people tend not to look back more than a page or so.

Anyway, I saw that you mentioned he doesn't like his crate and cries, etc. You have to be strong here and not worry about hurting his feelings. He has obviously bonded really well with you, and you have included him in everything and given him the run of the house very quickly, so any separation will cause him grief because he is away from his 'pack'. Try using the crate as a den for him - put his bed and toys in there and encourage him to eat his pigs ears and treats in there. Start using the crate when you are in the room with him - say pop a pigs ear in there and close the door. Then try small amounts of separation and build up so that he sees the crate not as punishment, but as his fun place where he can also get peace and quiet. If a crate is used correctly, it is not cruel - it's a great training aid and will save you on destruction, etc. What you might have to be careful of is him tearing up his bedding, like Tucker does. Start with very short periods of separation and build on the length of time.

There are loads of training tips on the internet for crate training. Just google crate training and take your pick.

Sounds like he did brilliantly at class last night! Well done to all of you! You probably want to have a chat with the instructor about any unwelcome behaviour.

I love reading about Chester and seeing his photos, as I'm sure a lot of the people who knew him do, so keep the updates coming.
Ria
Ria
Fosterer

Back to top Go down

Chester - Crossbreed, Dog (6-8 months) Empty Adding your photos from Facebook

Post  Ria Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:58 pm

Here are the photos Julie has posted on Facebook. I can see why he doesn't like his crate now, lol! lol! lol!

Chester - Crossbreed, Dog (6-8 months) Cheste10

Chester - Crossbreed, Dog (6-8 months) Cheste11

Chester - Crossbreed, Dog (6-8 months) Cheste12

Chester - Crossbreed, Dog (6-8 months) Cheste13
Ria
Ria
Fosterer

Back to top Go down

Post  Juliew39 Sat Feb 25, 2012 5:21 am

Thanks for your comments Ria thay are very helpful. We have left the crate open with all his favourite things in every day for 2 weeks now and he wont even come in the same room as it!! I think he may have had some bad memories about being shut in because he hates being shut in a room. We leave him the hallway and dining room to roam around in and take everything out we dont want chewed and he is getting better slowly. I will keep going with the crate but he really hates it and I hate to see him so distressed when he he tries to reach his things Neutral

Juliew39
Adopter

Back to top Go down

Post  Juliew39 Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:05 am

Hi Chester still doing well in his training classes and learning gradually to come back when let off the lead.
We took him to the vets last week due to him having some kind of episode like a fit but the vet said his anal glands were full and that could have been the problem. She has emptied them and we have to keep an eye on him when or if he does it again.
Still having problems leaving him on his own whether it is for 15 mins or 2 hours he still destroys something. It was my dining room blind and now my dining room curtains, pulled down and chewed. Will not go in the room with his cage and will not go anywhere near it even with his favourite bone, bed etc left in it for 2 days!!! Will keep trying and hopefully he will run out of things to eat!
Please let Alison know how he got on at the vets.

Thanks, Julie Smile

Juliew39
Adopter

Back to top Go down

Post  Ria Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:28 pm

Hi there Julie,

How big is the crate that you have for Chester? Is it a large one that he can move around freely in, or is it a smaller one that he can just curl up in? I just wonder if he has been restrained in something too small in his past life that has brought back this dislike.

Did the rescue include a voucher for a reduced price one to one session from Kate, the behaviourist? Although it might seem expensive, Kate is brilliant and gives excellent training and tips. She is also incredibly generous with her time and you will get fantastic value for money. She is the lady currently working with Tucker, but has also helped me in the past with Vik, and does a lot of work with the more challenging dogs at the kennels. Her website is http://www.spiritlinkcanine.co.uk/content/contactus.html.

Tell her that Chester is a FDR dog to claim the discount.
Ria
Ria
Fosterer

Back to top Go down

Post  Juliew39 Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:20 am

Thanks for that. Yes his cage is huge the biggest you van get (48") even I can get in it!! I will contact her and get some info but will continue to try things with him. I think he will eventually grow out of it and he is still a lovely member of the family Laughing

Juliew39
Adopter

Back to top Go down

Post  Juliew39 Sat Mar 31, 2012 12:41 am

Just a quick update on Chester. He has completed his first 6 weeks of training classes and is doing very well. He has a lovely Lab girlfriend there called Evie and they go soppy over each other. I have put him in for another 6 weeks and I think he will be all set up and I look forward to letting him off the led a bit more but he is still very bouncy around everyone.

I have got rid of the cage as it was not doing anybody any good and he seems to be content with having the hallway, stairs and landing to explore without many hiccups so far. He has had to go to the vets twice in the last 6 weeks to have his anal glands emptied and she thinks it may have to be a regular thing as he gets very very distressed when they are full. So far we think he may have to go every 4 to 6 weeks pale

He is going through a very naughty stage at the moment and jumping up at everything and nipping your clothes. We are working on it and the trainer thinks he will grow out of this teenage stage.

Thats all for now and we will try and make a visit to you guys at the kennels very soon so you can check him out for yourself. Cheers and a lick from Chester Very Happy

Juliew39
Adopter

Back to top Go down

Post  Juliew39 Fri May 18, 2012 8:18 am

Hi, a quick update about Chester.
He has just finished his second round of training classes and it seems like it has really kicked in now and he even won a recall competition!
I seems that it is not his anal glands that are making him run around like a mad thing but that he is just very over active (tell us something we didnt know). He has had his diet changed and has an extra walk a day to try and overcome his energy its just a shame I dont have any left Smile.
He is really coming along well now and I think he has the making of a really good dog. He just loves everyone and he gets a lot of compliments on his good looks Very Happy
He is coming on holiday with us in July and I look forward to see what he makes of the sea, I will keep you posted x Laughing Chester - Crossbreed, Dog (6-8 months) 4253416793

Juliew39
Adopter

Back to top Go down

Chester - Crossbreed, Dog (6-8 months) Empty Well done Chester!!

Post  Ria Fri May 18, 2012 6:29 pm

Woo hoo!! Proud family indeed!! Isn't it great when they do something that makes you so proud (as opposed to something in class that makes you cringe!).

Chester reminded me so much of Baz, and I certainly found that when he wasn't fed food with additives (which sadly includes all treats), he completely changed and wasn't so hyperactive (or farty!). Karen, who adopted Baz, has kept up the regime and it definitely works. Mind you, having to make the liver cake treats is definitely a downside No because as well as being the most revolting thing to pulverise, it does make the dog somewhat excited at the anticipation of the treats.

Keep up the good work Julie, and hope you all have a great holiday in July.

Last edited by Ria on Sat May 19, 2012 11:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ria
Ria
Fosterer

Back to top Go down

Post  Juliew39 Sat May 19, 2012 8:59 am

Thanks Ria, Will keep you posted about Chester and will drop by and see you guys over the summer x

Juliew39
Adopter

Back to top Go down

Post  Ria Sat May 19, 2012 10:38 pm

As we've all been banned or sacked from FDR, you'll have to come to Tenbury lol!
Ria
Ria
Fosterer

Back to top Go down

Post  Juliew39 Tue May 22, 2012 11:52 pm

Oh no! Had a message on my phone to call Marion and arrange for us to visit with Chester. Let me know where you guys are because I want him to meet up with the people who looked after him. Sad

Juliew39
Adopter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down