Rescue Dog Support Group
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Dog rescue blog
Ruby - Staffie, Bitch (2 Years) EmptyMon Mar 10, 2014 3:14 am by chels335

» writing a book about rescue dogs
Ruby - Staffie, Bitch (2 Years) EmptyThu Sep 12, 2013 9:14 am by pmbohio

» Mary Lou
Ruby - Staffie, Bitch (2 Years) EmptyTue Jul 23, 2013 9:18 am by Iloveotis

» Sponsored Walk on Sunday 23 June in aid of Tucker's TTA Surgery
Ruby - Staffie, Bitch (2 Years) EmptyMon Jul 08, 2013 9:33 pm by Ria

» Mary Lou
Ruby - Staffie, Bitch (2 Years) EmptySun Jul 07, 2013 2:50 pm by Iloveotis

» Looks like my fostering days are over
Ruby - Staffie, Bitch (2 Years) EmptySun Jul 07, 2013 4:38 am by Ria

» Denzil
Ruby - Staffie, Bitch (2 Years) EmptyTue May 28, 2013 7:50 am by Jackie

» Nico - Rhodesian Ridgeback, Dog (3 Years)
Ruby - Staffie, Bitch (2 Years) EmptyTue May 28, 2013 7:45 am by Jackie

» Walk on 26 May 2013 -Riverside walk from Blackstone, Bewdley to Arley and back
Ruby - Staffie, Bitch (2 Years) EmptyFri May 24, 2013 8:22 pm by elka

» British Camp from Hollybush - circular walk will now take place on 28 April 2013
Ruby - Staffie, Bitch (2 Years) EmptyMon Apr 08, 2013 6:56 am by Nina

» WALK CANCELLED
Ruby - Staffie, Bitch (2 Years) EmptySun Mar 24, 2013 6:10 am by Angela

» Walk on 24 March 2013 British Camp from Hollybush - circular walk
Ruby - Staffie, Bitch (2 Years) EmptySun Mar 24, 2013 6:08 am by Angela

» Wyre Forest - camping with the dogs
Ruby - Staffie, Bitch (2 Years) EmptySat Feb 09, 2013 7:05 am by Angela

» The Royal Forrester, Callow Hill, Bewdley
Ruby - Staffie, Bitch (2 Years) EmptySun Jan 27, 2013 3:12 am by Angela

» Food Aggression
Ruby - Staffie, Bitch (2 Years) EmptyWed Jan 23, 2013 11:31 pm by Jackie

» Walk on Sunday 27 January 2013
Ruby - Staffie, Bitch (2 Years) EmptyWed Jan 23, 2013 1:06 am by siandavis82

» Walk on Sunday 24 February 2013 - Yarpole Circular Route
Ruby - Staffie, Bitch (2 Years) EmptyWed Jan 23, 2013 12:37 am by Ria

» Denzel - Working Cocker Spaniel, Dog (5 Years)
Ruby - Staffie, Bitch (2 Years) EmptyTue Jan 22, 2013 9:57 pm by jesses mum

» Teeth
Ruby - Staffie, Bitch (2 Years) EmptySun Jan 13, 2013 6:14 am by AnnieP

» mug house Bewdley
Ruby - Staffie, Bitch (2 Years) EmptyWed Jan 09, 2013 3:31 am by Ria

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Ruby - Staffie, Bitch (2 Years)

+6
Ria
ang & jerry
Jeanette
Angela
kimmal
Administrator
10 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Ruby - Staffie, Bitch (2 Years) Empty Ruby - Staffie, Bitch (2 Years)

Post  Administrator Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:58 am

Ruby - Staffie, Bitch (2 Years) Ruby210
Ruby - Staffie, Bitch (2 Years) Ruby310Ruby - Staffie, Bitch (2 Years) Ruby510

Ruby, the bat eared girl, came to us from the pound so we do not know any of her history. However, since being here, she has proven herself to be a very friendly and affectionate girl who loves people. Ruby is a high energy dog, so we need her forever home to be active with sensible children who are prepared to give Ruby plenty of offlead exercise and mental stimulation.

Luckily, Ruby has had a consistent handler in one of our volunteers, Angela, and Ruby has proven very responsive to training. She would still love to be taken to a well run training class however, as she loves the attention and stimulation.

Ruby likes other dogs but prefers males and would be best as the only dog in the house so that she gets all the attention she deserves. Ruby has been taken out in the car to the forest by some of our volunteers and she is excellent in the car. She was recently chosen to participate in a British Heart Foundation run near the kennels with one of our volunteers, and mingled with hundreds of people and other dogs and behaved beautifully. Unfortunately, this didn't generate a home despite lots of interest and fuss. She has been at the kennels for eight months now and Ruby really needs to find her forever home so that she can really shine.
Attachments
Ruby - Staffie, Bitch (2 Years) Attachment
Ruby Poster.pdf Click here to download, print and distributeYou don't have permission to download attachments.(521 Kb) Downloaded 6 times

Last edited by Ria on Sun Dec 16, 2012 12:13 pm; edited 3 times in total (Reason for editing : updated information and changed pictures)

Administrator
Admin

http://www.forest-dog-rescue.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Ruby - Staffie, Bitch (2 Years) Empty Re: Ruby - Staffie, Bitch (2 Years)

Post  kimmal Thu Sep 01, 2011 2:24 am

Very striking looking little girl...typical staffy..loves people and fuss...has the most amazing shaped ears....Not sure what to do in the playpen as yet as if no-one has taught her how to play...im sure she will soon pick it up...Always looks as if she is laughing...very happy little dog, do hope she wont be in here long....x
kimmal
kimmal

Back to top Go down

Ruby - Staffie, Bitch (2 Years) Empty Ruby Ruby Ruby Ruby...

Post  Angela Sat Sep 03, 2011 5:37 am

I fell in love walking her last weekend! Even saved her on my desktop.

Bummer I haven't got time nor space for her at home.

I hope she will find somebody who loves her AND has the time and space soon.

She loves to play with the lead btw.. managed to get herself undone twice (!) that way but did not care about her freeom- just wanted to play.

But chasing a ball,- no.

I'll try to come and walk her this weekend.
Angela
Angela

Back to top Go down

Ruby - Staffie, Bitch (2 Years) Empty Ruby and the lead

Post  Angela Sat Sep 10, 2011 9:01 pm

She loves it... as soon as she was allone with me on the field last WE she tried to get hold of the lead to play with it. Obviously that is no good hence she manages to get undone -but that is not her top priority (...). She doesn't run away. Priority is always to play.

I had to grab her collar and hold her on a very short lid for a while so that she actually calms down and walks nicely with me and when she forgets about it to give it more length.

In the play pen when taking of the lead she saw her chance again.... Razz

I hid the lead in the box with the toys but she then tried the chain-collar thingy that I left lying on the ground while looking up to me with her button eyes. So sweet -and it was hard to stay serious with her. NO, this is not a a toy Ruby!

I tried to interest her in the ball and other toys but NO.

I will keep trying 'tho. Maybe somebody has a tip for me?

She actually sat down next to me and just enjoyed being with me and my boyfriend I think. It is nice to see her relaxed, hence she is a little rocket most of the time. Her breathing is mostly so speedy that you thing she is going to have a heart attack any second. Bless her.

She has soooo much energy! Definately needs a home where somebody who can keep up with her. bounce
Angela
Angela

Back to top Go down

Ruby - Staffie, Bitch (2 Years) Empty Not so much messing with the lead any more today

Post  Angela Thu Sep 15, 2011 12:48 am

Rubymaus has not made so many attempts today to catch the lead and play with it anymore.
She only tried once after we've been sitting at and under the bench for a break. But just holding her by the collar and saying no was enough to put her off. Good girl!

She looks at me then with her big brown eyes as if she understands...she is very gentle once she has calmed down (but she is not rude otherwise either, just too busy running off that huge amount of energy).

When I took a treat out of my bag she did jump at me first but then sat down when
I asked her to and waited until I gave it to her.

I think with some continous training she will learn quite a few things and woudl be a great friend to every family.

She is young, willing to learn and looks stunning.

See you hopefully next week, Ruby.
Angela
Angela

Back to top Go down

Ruby - Staffie, Bitch (2 Years) Empty Ruby is a Diamond

Post  Jeanette Thu Sep 15, 2011 6:24 am

Met and walked Ruby for the first time tonight at the late night walk. My she is a quick one and the lead did tangle around her when were sitting on the bench, she just wanted to play with it. A few bits of cheese later and she had forgotton all about it. Ruby sits well on command and gives one paw. All in all a wonderful little character and good addition to any household. If Ruby were a human she'd be a soul diva, her bark just simply says blues......

Jeanette

Back to top Go down

Ruby - Staffie, Bitch (2 Years) Empty Ruby

Post  ang & jerry Sun Oct 02, 2011 1:10 am

Hi all,

Just a quick post regarding Ruby the Staffie who we walked this morning.

She has a great personality, and no malice whatsoever. I have been brought up with dogs all my life, mostly German Shepherds. I sadly lost my Shepherd Huskey cross a few weeks ago. Joined Forest Green as a walker to see how I felt about another.

She would make a great family dog, seems fine with other dogs, did not bat an eyelid. Her form of play is to grab hold of the lead and tug! This can soon be stopped with the command sit and a food reward!

She likes to sit down mid walk for a breather, under the bench. We did 5 laps of the field and stopped at the water filling station on each lap!

Ruby has opened my eyes to this breed, she really is a fine dog. Personally I am not yet over my loss, but walking Ruby has helped me in the right direction. Thank you to the staff.

I really hope she finds a good home soon

Last edited by ang & jerry on Sun Oct 02, 2011 1:15 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : wrong spelling)

ang & jerry
Adopter

Back to top Go down

Ruby - Staffie, Bitch (2 Years) Empty Welcome Ang & Jerry

Post  Ria Sun Oct 02, 2011 1:28 am

Glad to hear that you enjoyed your walk with Ruby today. So sad for your loss, Sad but glad that you have found it in your hearts to volunteer your time to walk the dogs at the kennels and to update the forum. Staffies get such a bad rap, and yet they are the ones that people are most surprised by. Ruby is no exception.

Keep up the good work. Perhaps if you are not ready for a full time commitment you might consider fostering at some point? There are always dogs in kennels that are desperate to find that halfway house. Keep in touch, and hope you can make the Wednesday evening walks at some point to meet some of the walkers on a more social level.
Ria
Ria
Fosterer

http://www.cyclone-technology.com

Back to top Go down

Ruby - Staffie, Bitch (2 Years) Empty Pictures of Ruby, Ruby, Ruby

Post  Nina Sun Oct 02, 2011 3:03 am

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.148595991895381.39224.100002349431880&l=7c9738e868&type=1
Nina
Nina

Back to top Go down

Ruby - Staffie, Bitch (2 Years) Empty fine with other dogs

Post  Angela Sun Oct 02, 2011 11:35 pm

Hello Ang and Jerry,

I'm glad Ruby has some new fans in you. Ruby is indeed good with other dogs as far as I'm concerned. She doesn't say a word (how could she, haha) when a dog is growling/barking at her etc, she just wants to play and is very curios).

Since she can undo herself from the lead it is not ideal to let her play with it but maybe not a choke but one of those leads that are fixed round her body instead would do?

She also knows that when you grab her on the collar and say NO, that she needs to let go of the lead.
I do that everytime she tries to tug the lead as a potential new owner might not want that to happen.
Could we organize a rope for her as a toy? I feel she needs something to play with and as she is not interested in a ball that might be a solution?

She is a good learner, just so energetic that she needs to get rid of that energy first.

Ruby needs an owner who can do long walks or a home where she can be outside and run freely in a fenced area. She very much enjoys peoples company and does not run away in my experience.
Angela
Angela

Back to top Go down

Ruby - Staffie, Bitch (2 Years) Empty wednesday walking ?

Post  ang & jerry Mon Oct 03, 2011 7:25 am

Thankyou for your reply's. As dog lovers we would take them all home, if we had the room and money to care for them . Fostering is something that we may consider. What time doe's the Wednesday evening walking commence ?

I agree that a rope bone for Ruby would be good, for playing or a rubber tug toy. maybe we should try this next time.

We really enjoyed our time with ruby and look forward to coming again. Very Happy

ang & jerry
Adopter

Back to top Go down

Ruby - Staffie, Bitch (2 Years) Empty Why is that?

Post  Angela Thu Oct 06, 2011 8:55 am

Hello guys,

why does it say on the homepage "she prefers friends of the two-legged variety, so therefore will need to be the only pet in the house"?
She is very interested in other dogs and with me has never been agressive when we passed other dogs- did not even bark back at them when they played off.
Is this just my perception? Has there been a mix up maybe? I find she is absolutely fine with other dogs and often thought, if only I could let them play together, when she was very nosy for another dog. We could come very closen to others without any signs of agression what so ever- just curiosity and wanting to sniffel and play.

?

Last edited by Gelala on Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:06 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : spelling)
Angela
Angela

Back to top Go down

Ruby - Staffie, Bitch (2 Years) Empty Mixup with Gem?

Post  Angela Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:05 am

Was this a mix up with Gem?

Please refer to my last message.
There was this post about Gem that she had a bit of a ding dong with another dog not long ago.. since then I heard 2 people in the Kennel saying this about Ruby. Back then I thought already they are mean Gem, as that was the same time when somebody told me abot Gem and her hurt nose when I walked her.

If that makes any sence..

This is Lala defending her sweetpea. Neutral
Angela
Angela

Back to top Go down

Ruby - Staffie, Bitch (2 Years) Empty hmpf

Post  Angela Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:14 am

Maybe I am overreacting, sorry. Just love her. Rolling Eyes

Last edited by Gelala on Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:31 am; edited 1 time in total
Angela
Angela

Back to top Go down

Ruby - Staffie, Bitch (2 Years) Empty A recent addition methinks!

Post  Ria Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:23 am

Hi Angela!

I have to admit, I was thinking, "What's this crazy woman wittering on about!", lol! (I say this with affection because I know you Angela - so readers (and Angela) please do not take offence - it is my Scouse humour coming out (so calm down! calm down!!)!!Laughing Laughing Laughing

Then I looked at the website, and thought, "Ooh, that's a recent addition!" I know that because when I create the dogs on the forum, I do an exact copy and paste from the initial website page, and looking at the top of this page, you can see the comment is not there, so it must have been added by the kennel manager. Worth asking her, because I know you would hate Ruby's copybook to be blotted, Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Last edited by Ria on Thu Oct 06, 2011 8:44 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : to make clear the crazy woman comment is made in jest!)
Ria
Ria
Fosterer

http://www.cyclone-technology.com

Back to top Go down

Ruby - Staffie, Bitch (2 Years) Empty Walking on the lead without pulling?

Post  Angela Mon Oct 10, 2011 5:23 am

If you know Ruby you will know that she really likes to pull madly when "walking" her. As soon as she is out of the kennel she shoots off.

I spent one hour with her today and constantly pulled her back whenever she pulled. It was quite an effort and I don't how may times I had to do that but eventually she calmed down and stopped pulling so badly.

Next time I will try and make her walk not only without pulling but also to walk right next to my feet by keeping the lead extremely short. This probably also will take a long time and effort but I want her to learn it- it will so much increase her chances to find a new owner.

If we can all do that when walking her that will help Ruby massively to become a nicely walkable dog. I find that very important because she is so gentle and clever and can make a perfect family dog if only she learns a few more things.

Ruby also is interested in BIG sticks I discovered. I point that out because the only thing she seemed to be playing with before, is the lead- no ball play. She chased the stick and then chewed it away. BUT- she got a few dry splints in her throat and had to cough them out so we need to be very carefull what sticks we pick for her.

A few dogs barked at her when passing by - but again, her only response was a nosy tail wiggling and trying to approach the other dogs to play. She does not bark or growl back at them.

It is very cute when I ask her to sit she automatically gives the paw, too.

Again, when she tried to grab the lead to play with it I grabbed the collar and said no. She then let go of it. It works well - good girl!
Angela
Angela

Back to top Go down

Ruby - Staffie, Bitch (2 Years) Empty A good play

Post  Angela Mon Oct 31, 2011 5:29 am

Ruby and I had a good play with the rope this morning in the playpen.
First thing she does when entering the playpen area is having a good sniff around and a poo in private.
Then she keeps wandering around.
Eventually she remembers that I have the rope-toy and sometimes she needs to be started off a bit by wiggling it around. Then she will never let go of it. She grabs it- ALWAYS GENTLE WHEN MY HAND comes too close to her mouth and then she runns around me in circles until I am dizzy and sick from laughing.

What fun! cheers

Good nite Ruby, love you.
Angela
Angela

Back to top Go down

Ruby - Staffie, Bitch (2 Years) Empty Ruby News

Post  Angela Fri Nov 25, 2011 4:37 am

Hello everyone,

Here the latest news from my personal superstar, Ruby Rocket:

I had two very long walks with her last weekend. After a while she was ok to sit down with me and even found herself a stick to chew on whilst sitting next to me.

So she is ok to entertain herself as long as there is something to do for her.

She is very interested in everything that is going on around her and easily distracted. BUT- everything can be sorted with a biscuit or a few pulls on the lead- distracting her back kind of.... and talking to her.

When she is calmer her true personality comes out and she is so sweet.

Also, now that she is not in season anymore she is not very much bothered when there are other dogs around. She actually did not bark or growl at any of them.

I discovered that the end of her tail is bloody. I hope so much that she does not chew it when she is bored during long hours in the kennel. I say that because she loves wiggly things, like her rope toy and the lead. What a painfull and horrible thought...

Little Ruby,

I hope that somebody soon gives you the chance to get used to be part of a family and to become loads of attention and cuddles. I now that you are not used to being snuggled and cuddled but you start to enjoy it, don't you? Sweet little girl.

See you next weekend. xX
Angela
Angela

Back to top Go down

Ruby - Staffie, Bitch (2 Years) Empty Ruby

Post  kimmal Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:30 am

Ruby is so responsive to consistent handling....i think Ruby is a little sweetie,,,whi has been temporarily changed by the kennel noise and mayhem....she is highly stimulated by the noise and chaos going on around her,,,,,she could do with going out and havin some time away from the kennels....still young and able to adjust to a new situation Ruby will then hopefully become all that we believe she is,,,a smashing little dog,,,with amazing ears....x:D

Last edited by kimmal on Sat Dec 03, 2011 8:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
kimmal
kimmal

Back to top Go down

Post  Angela Sat Dec 03, 2011 5:59 am

I'm hoping to be the one that can take her away from the kennel stress every weekend. Fingers crossed and toes, too. xxx
Angela
Angela

Back to top Go down

Ruby - Staffie, Bitch (2 Years) Empty Plea for Ruby

Post  Angela Sun Dec 18, 2011 9:41 am

On Friday I could not walk Ruby so long (only 2 times around the fields and
she really needs much more) and consequently she never calmed down
afterwards. I dried her as it had rained, and sat with her in her kennel for a while but she
could not calm down, bless her.

Ruby needs so, so much more excersise and attention (like every dog) and I am very worried that her energy and lust for life will turn in to depression if she spends much longer in the kennels. She has been there a few months now and she just does not have the chance to develop into a family pet like this.
I am so worried that she will spend the rest of her life in the kennels. She is such a cute, young and strong dog. Please anybody give her a chance to become a pet and live in a family one day as long as she still is as energetic and positive and willing to learn.
Angela
Angela

Back to top Go down

Ruby - Staffie, Bitch (2 Years) Empty Proud of Ruby

Post  Angela Sun Dec 25, 2011 5:27 am

Today I am very proud of Ruby and of myself.

I was out on the fields with her for 3 lovely hours and while it was a bit of a struggle to get her out of the kennels first because she was so excited that it took ages just to get the collar round her neck, she then walked nicely by my side after I had been consequent for 2,5 hours.

I only allowed her to walk when I had made the first step-and she always had to start behind me. I am the Alpha Dog- I think she understood.

I kept her on a very very short lead all the time, so that she wlked right next to my legs and every single time she pulled forward

• I stopped imediatley
  • Pulled her back behind me
  • And stood still "ignoring" her until I could see that she stood still and looked up to me.
  • Then I made the first step and she was allowed to follow.
I did that for 2,5 hours until she walked by my side without pulling- it only worked for a few metres but that is a huge step forward for her.
Then I pulled her back again and so on. I did not have to be rude, just firm, quiet and clear andthen she got the message.

I can not tell you all how happy I was when it eventually worked.

And the other good news is that in the play pen she started showing interest in a ball!

It needs to be a ball than she can grab with her teeth and also that is chewable (if it is too big and hard she does not bother).

I even got her to chase the ball and she was running madly after it- how wonderfull!

She sooooooo needs to run.

After fetching the ball she needs to chew on it for a while becasue she is so proud and also just likes to chew.

Then I can take the ball out of her mouth and throw it again. I am sure she was smiling at me when I was holding it up high before I throwed it again.
That was so much fun!! I am so proud of her! cheers

Good girl Ruby.

I wil be back The day after boxing day. Merry Christmas to you all!!!!

Lala
Angela
Angela

Back to top Go down

Ruby - Staffie, Bitch (2 Years) Empty Pictures "Ruby meets the pupps"

Post  Angela Sun Dec 25, 2011 6:29 am

[img][/img]Ruby - Staffie, Bitch (2 Years) Ruby114

Uh,who are you?

Ruby - Staffie, Bitch (2 Years) Ruby210

You remind me of my babies that I had when I was kept for breeding because I am so pretty. They really have worn out my nipples but I loved them.

Ruby - Staffie, Bitch (2 Years) Ruby310

Let's play.
Angela
Angela

Back to top Go down

Ruby - Staffie, Bitch (2 Years) Empty pictures: beautiful Ruby

Post  Angela Wed Dec 28, 2011 5:19 am

Ruby - Staffie, Bitch (2 Years) Photo-13Ruby - Staffie, Bitch (2 Years) Ruby-w10Ruby - Staffie, Bitch (2 Years) Photo-16Ruby - Staffie, Bitch (2 Years) Slurp-10Ruby - Staffie, Bitch (2 Years) Photo-14Ruby - Staffie, Bitch (2 Years) Photo-15
Angela
Angela

Back to top Go down

Ruby - Staffie, Bitch (2 Years) Empty For the first time a proper snuggle and relaxation

Post  Angela Thu Dec 29, 2011 6:05 am

I spent 3 hours with Ruby on Tuesday and after we had a good play and a long walk with lead training I sat down with her in her bed.

For the first time EVER she snuggled herself directly on to me, closed her eyes and properly relaxed while i massaged her.
It was lovely. I have never seen her like that before. Then she sighed an placed her head on my leg. I was totally happy for her.

This shows how much time it needs to spend with her on a one to one basis. She so needs this relaxation as she is so hyper and nervous all the time from the noise going on around her.

Again I am proud of myself and can't wait to get back. I will have a bit time until I wil find a new job and will certainly spend a bit more time with her. Unfortunately when I am back at work this will stop and I wil be only there once a weekend.
Angela
Angela

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next