Rescue Dog Support Group
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Dog rescue blog
Gino - Belgian Shepherd, Dog (1 year old) - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 10, 2014 3:14 am by chels335

» writing a book about rescue dogs
Gino - Belgian Shepherd, Dog (1 year old) - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 12, 2013 9:14 am by pmbohio

» Mary Lou
Gino - Belgian Shepherd, Dog (1 year old) - Page 2 EmptyTue Jul 23, 2013 9:18 am by Iloveotis

» Sponsored Walk on Sunday 23 June in aid of Tucker's TTA Surgery
Gino - Belgian Shepherd, Dog (1 year old) - Page 2 EmptyMon Jul 08, 2013 9:33 pm by Ria

» Mary Lou
Gino - Belgian Shepherd, Dog (1 year old) - Page 2 EmptySun Jul 07, 2013 2:50 pm by Iloveotis

» Looks like my fostering days are over
Gino - Belgian Shepherd, Dog (1 year old) - Page 2 EmptySun Jul 07, 2013 4:38 am by Ria

» Denzil
Gino - Belgian Shepherd, Dog (1 year old) - Page 2 EmptyTue May 28, 2013 7:50 am by Jackie

» Nico - Rhodesian Ridgeback, Dog (3 Years)
Gino - Belgian Shepherd, Dog (1 year old) - Page 2 EmptyTue May 28, 2013 7:45 am by Jackie

» Walk on 26 May 2013 -Riverside walk from Blackstone, Bewdley to Arley and back
Gino - Belgian Shepherd, Dog (1 year old) - Page 2 EmptyFri May 24, 2013 8:22 pm by elka

» British Camp from Hollybush - circular walk will now take place on 28 April 2013
Gino - Belgian Shepherd, Dog (1 year old) - Page 2 EmptyMon Apr 08, 2013 6:56 am by Nina

» WALK CANCELLED
Gino - Belgian Shepherd, Dog (1 year old) - Page 2 EmptySun Mar 24, 2013 6:10 am by Angela

» Walk on 24 March 2013 British Camp from Hollybush - circular walk
Gino - Belgian Shepherd, Dog (1 year old) - Page 2 EmptySun Mar 24, 2013 6:08 am by Angela

» Wyre Forest - camping with the dogs
Gino - Belgian Shepherd, Dog (1 year old) - Page 2 EmptySat Feb 09, 2013 7:05 am by Angela

» The Royal Forrester, Callow Hill, Bewdley
Gino - Belgian Shepherd, Dog (1 year old) - Page 2 EmptySun Jan 27, 2013 3:12 am by Angela

» Food Aggression
Gino - Belgian Shepherd, Dog (1 year old) - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 23, 2013 11:31 pm by Jackie

» Walk on Sunday 27 January 2013
Gino - Belgian Shepherd, Dog (1 year old) - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 23, 2013 1:06 am by siandavis82

» Walk on Sunday 24 February 2013 - Yarpole Circular Route
Gino - Belgian Shepherd, Dog (1 year old) - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 23, 2013 12:37 am by Ria

» Denzel - Working Cocker Spaniel, Dog (5 Years)
Gino - Belgian Shepherd, Dog (1 year old) - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 22, 2013 9:57 pm by jesses mum

» Teeth
Gino - Belgian Shepherd, Dog (1 year old) - Page 2 EmptySun Jan 13, 2013 6:14 am by AnnieP

» mug house Bewdley
Gino - Belgian Shepherd, Dog (1 year old) - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 09, 2013 3:31 am by Ria

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Gino - Belgian Shepherd, Dog (1 year old)

+2
Ria
Administrator
6 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Gino - Belgian Shepherd, Dog (1 year old) - Page 2 Empty Gino and Bruce have left the building

Post  Ria Tue May 17, 2011 2:09 am

We picked Bruce up on Saturday from FDR. We had planned to go off for the afternoon and find a nice walking spot, but when we heard the decibel level of Bruce's crying and barking, we headed home!

Bruce was incredibly clingy and I couldn't move anywhere without him being at my side. We went out for a nice walk and he kept his ears down the whole time. He walks close off the lead in the house, but on the lead is a different story. Here, there and everywhere!!

In an attempt to try to make him bond with Gino, we decided that they should sleep in the conservatory. We put them to bed, closed the sliding door to the conservatory, and immediately Bruce was jumping up at the door, crying and barking. Two hours later, I could take the barking no more, so I came downstairs, and moved Bruce to the crate in the lounge. No joy there either. Incessant barking for a further two hours (good job we have good soundproofing and weren't sending our neighbours round the bend). By 4am, with a mammoth four hours of non stop barking behind him, I threw in the towel and let him come up to the bedroom. He immediately lay under the bed on his side with his legs straight out and slept solidly for six hours without a murmur. The same again last night. Having spoken to his old owner, his barking has been a real problem.

We had a number of altercations with Gino and Bruce. Bruce thinks he's the boss, and shows signs of the green eyed monster, and I'm pleased to say that Gino took command and put him firmly in his place. Gino is a changed dog, all right! A couple of the fights got very heated, and the broom had to come out to separate them, but it's easy to see what the build up to the flare up is, so easy to avoid in the future. I actually think that without Phoebe, they will settle better together. I just hope that Bruce minds his manners with the resident dogs. Al and Stan have so much experience, that I don't foresee a problem.

So, this afternoon the paperwork was completed, and after an incredibly generous donation to FDR, we waved the boys off on their way to their new life together. I know they are going to be so happy where they're going. It couldn't have been a better ending for two deserving boys. We are going to visit them in a couple of weeks to make sure they're all settled, but in the meantime, I know that we'll be getting regular updates on them.

Good luck my little lads. Gino, I will miss you soooooo much, you were an absolute joy to have, even if only for such a short time. I love you I love you I love you . Bruce, it was a real pleasure to meet you, and I know that your new mum and dad are going to teach you some manners and you will shine.

Last edited by Ria on Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:19 pm; edited 1 time in total

Ria
Fosterer

http://www.cyclone-technology.com

Back to top Go down

Gino - Belgian Shepherd, Dog (1 year old) - Page 2 Empty Update on the boys

Post  Ria Mon May 23, 2011 11:54 pm

I'm so pleased to report that Gino and Bruce are settling well in their new home. Bruce is probably the most challenging of the two, manners wise, but Al and Stan are coping well. They've both had their vet checks and Bruce was way too thin and needs a lot of feeding up to get him to his ideal weight. The vet was impressed with both boys.

The trainer came to see the boys and Al asked why Gino just stands and stares at lights. I had never noticed this, but Phil said that he used to do it in the kitchen (I was probably too busy cooking, cleaning and preparing dog dinners to notice, while Phil has all the time in the world to sit and notice these things Wink ). Apparently, it's called shadow chasing and is the sign of a very unstimulated dog. It brought a real lump to my throat hearing that, because we will never know the damage that was done psychologically to Gino in the first year of his life. Things will get much better from now on in.

Here's one of the last photos I took of the boys while they were waiting to be collected.

Gino - Belgian Shepherd, Dog (1 year old) - Page 2 Gino_a10

I miss Gino every day, but I know he has such a wonderful life now.
Ria
Ria
Fosterer

Back to top Go down

Gino - Belgian Shepherd, Dog (1 year old) - Page 2 Empty Another great update

Post  Ria Tue May 31, 2011 12:15 am

Stan phoned to tell me that the boys are continuing to thrive. Bruce is still a bit challenging with his lack of manners, but he's getting there. They continue to work with Bruce, particularly on his lead work. They love their walks and playtime. They race around together beautifully and have become great friends now. Stan says they are wonderful to watch, because they just run and run together. Fantastic!!
Ria
Ria
Fosterer

Back to top Go down

Gino - Belgian Shepherd, Dog (1 year old) - Page 2 Empty gino

Post  jesses mum Tue May 31, 2011 8:01 am

bounce How lovely to hear that Gino & Bruce are enjoying their new home, & now have what dogs everywhere should have,walks, runs & great Mum's & Dad's. Thanks for the update on this new forum, its going to be good to keep up to date with all at FDR. & those in their new homes. Laughing

jesses mum
Adopter

Back to top Go down

Gino - Belgian Shepherd, Dog (1 year old) - Page 2 Empty I'm so excited ......

Post  Ria Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:47 pm

Phil and I are going to see Gino and Bruce tomorrow!! Can't wait to see how they're getting on. The camera is on charge, so we'll be taking lots of photos. Watch this space ....
Ria
Ria
Fosterer

Back to top Go down

Gino - Belgian Shepherd, Dog (1 year old) - Page 2 Empty Re: Gino - Belgian Shepherd, Dog (1 year old)

Post  jesses mum Sat Jul 02, 2011 1:55 am

How lovely Ria, it will be good to see some photos of this handsome pair, as you know I had a soft spot for Gino!! Have a great time, I'm sure they will be as pleased to see you two as you are to see them.

jesses mum
Adopter

Back to top Go down

Gino - Belgian Shepherd, Dog (1 year old) - Page 2 Empty Talk about settled in!

Post  Ria Sun Jul 03, 2011 6:16 am

Well, besides having the most scrumptious lunch (thanks Stan!), we also had the pleasure of seeing Gino and Bruce, together with the rest of their pack, Toffee and Alfie.

Both boys have settled in really well, and Al and Stan have done wonders with each of them. Bruce has taken longer to train, and is still a work in progress, but he is young and he will learn. It was joyous to see the two of them playing so well together. They really do enjoy a rough and tumble, and although at times it looks like it's hard play (when you see a mouthful of Bruce's hair in Gino's mouth, for example), there is no squealing from Bruce and they really are having lots of fun.

It was lovely to cuddle up on the sofa with Gino. When we first entered he was a little spooked, but he soon settled and was happy to have his cuddles. It was funny seeing him, because he looked so small compared to Vik, and both Phil and I thought he looked very different.

We spent over three hours with them all, and it was a wonderful afternoon. So nice to see them so settled - what a result!

Gino - Belgian Shepherd, Dog (1 year old) - Page 2 Dsc04610
Sorry, what was the joke?

Gino - Belgian Shepherd, Dog (1 year old) - Page 2 Dsc04611
Gorgeous Gino

Gino - Belgian Shepherd, Dog (1 year old) - Page 2 Dsc04612
Bruce

Gino - Belgian Shepherd, Dog (1 year old) - Page 2 Dsc04613
Al with the pack

Gino - Belgian Shepherd, Dog (1 year old) - Page 2 Dsc04710
It's great when you have your own private meadow!

Gino - Belgian Shepherd, Dog (1 year old) - Page 2 Dsc04711
What a handsome pair

Seeing the two boys together, there is no doubt in my mind that they are half brothers. We know that they came from the same breeder, and that Gino was a 'mistake' (two types of Belgian) and that Bruce was the runt. Whatever their background, they're both kings of the castle now!

I couldn't resist finishing with a shot of their new brother, Toffee. All together now - aaaaaaaahhhhhhh!

Gino - Belgian Shepherd, Dog (1 year old) - Page 2 Dsc04614
Ria
Ria
Fosterer

Back to top Go down

Gino - Belgian Shepherd, Dog (1 year old) - Page 2 Empty Re: Gino - Belgian Shepherd, Dog (1 year old)

Post  jesses mum Sun Jul 03, 2011 7:48 am

Oh Toffee looks like a male version of my Katie how sweet, back to the boys OMG they look fantastic,I think Gino looks so different too has he grown? or has he just filled out, he looks FAB. I'm glad he still wanted cuddles from you it must be so hard to give them up but lovely if you get the chance to see them in such a wonderful home & enjoying life with Stan & Al, what a handsome pack they have. As you say a fantastic result

jesses mum
Adopter

Back to top Go down

Gino - Belgian Shepherd, Dog (1 year old) - Page 2 Empty To prove they really have settled in ....

Post  Ria Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:18 am

Gino - Belgian Shepherd, Dog (1 year old) - Page 2 Al_and10

Unbeknown to them, Al and Stan sent me this photo on the very day that Vik was killed, and at the time through the tears it made me realise that in my heart of hearts, although I wanted to pack it all in because of the terrible guilt I felt over losing Vik, seeing these two dogs in their perfect forever home made me realise that this was what fostering was all about.
Ria
Ria
Fosterer

Back to top Go down

Gino - Belgian Shepherd, Dog (1 year old) - Page 2 Empty All worth While!!!

Post  jesses mum Wed Sep 21, 2011 5:22 am

What a wonderful picture.if Stan & Al didn't mind I think that would be a great photo for the front office at FDR.....a reminder of all the hard work that goes on at Green Gap & also in the wonderful foster homes some of the dogs are lucky enough to find.....It was meant to be Ria sent to help you on a very sad & difficult day.

jesses mum
Adopter

Back to top Go down

Gino - Belgian Shepherd, Dog (1 year old) - Page 2 Empty Another update from Stan and Al

Post  Ria Thu Dec 22, 2011 5:19 am

Dear Maria and Phil,

I just thought I'd send Christmas good wishes from Gino and Bruce (not forgetting Toffee).

They are getting so much better. Gino is generally much more confident, even coping with the crackling and flickering log burner with equanimity. and now we give our visitors handfuls of doggy treats to hand out, he doesn't think about biting anyone in fear. Bruce is lovely and affectionate, and both are really good in the garden, coming in when they're called and only occasionally leaping into the veg garden and tearing round like loonies! Sadly, they're still thinking up new ways to be bad indoors. Recently they've learned how to open the pedal bin and strew the rubbish around. Bruce has climbed on a chair to reach Stan's hat down from a high shelf and chewed chunks out of it. Despite this, we're so pleased to have them, though I think the Christmas tree and decorations will prove irresistible where destruction is concerned!

We hope you have a good Christmas.

With love,

Al, Stan, Gino, Bruce and Toffee

Great to see the boys have settled in!!
Ria
Ria
Fosterer

Back to top Go down

Gino - Belgian Shepherd, Dog (1 year old) - Page 2 Empty A year to the day ....

Post  Ria Thu May 17, 2012 12:55 am

Such a fantastic update from Al and Stan:

Gino - Belgian Shepherd, Dog (1 year old) - Page 2 Dscf0010

Hello Maria and Phil,

We can't believe it but it's a year today since Gino and Bruce came to live here - and judging by how naughty they can be at times, no-one else would believe that we've gone a whole year without getting them better trained than they are!

They are both really well settled in, loving and happy. Bruce is barkier than ever, though, and Gino still likes to try to bite visitors' bottoms. He's less afraid of a lot of things now, but still finds bright moving lights scary. When the sun catches Stan's watch making it flash on the wall or ceiling, he'll run away barking. All in all, they are much better than they were - the training is a work in progress. Luckily they'll do anything for a treat - and so have both put on weight.

We have failed to find Forest Dog Rescue' email address, so could you forward the attached picture to them and let them know how happy both the dogs (and we) are. We must try to contact them directly to get the microchips changed to our address (or is that something you could ask them to do?).

We hope you and Phoebe and any other fostered dog you may have are well.

Best wishes,

Al and Stan
Ria
Ria
Fosterer

Back to top Go down

Post  Ria Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:39 pm

We are blessed to keep in regular contact with Gino and Bruce and their wonderful adopters, Stan and Al. Here are some more photos from another visit to the handsome boys back in the late summer.

Gino - Belgian Shepherd, Dog (1 year old) - Page 2 Gino_a11

Gino - Belgian Shepherd, Dog (1 year old) - Page 2 Gino_a14

Gino - Belgian Shepherd, Dog (1 year old) - Page 2 Gino_a15

Gino - Belgian Shepherd, Dog (1 year old) - Page 2 Bruce_10
Bruce

Gino - Belgian Shepherd, Dog (1 year old) - Page 2 Gino11[center]
Gino
Ria
Ria
Fosterer

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2