Rescue Dog Support Group
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Dog rescue blog
Sheba - Labrador/Retriever X, Bitch (9-10 Years)  EmptyMon Mar 10, 2014 3:14 am by chels335

» writing a book about rescue dogs
Sheba - Labrador/Retriever X, Bitch (9-10 Years)  EmptyThu Sep 12, 2013 9:14 am by pmbohio

» Mary Lou
Sheba - Labrador/Retriever X, Bitch (9-10 Years)  EmptyTue Jul 23, 2013 9:18 am by Iloveotis

» Sponsored Walk on Sunday 23 June in aid of Tucker's TTA Surgery
Sheba - Labrador/Retriever X, Bitch (9-10 Years)  EmptyMon Jul 08, 2013 9:33 pm by Ria

» Mary Lou
Sheba - Labrador/Retriever X, Bitch (9-10 Years)  EmptySun Jul 07, 2013 2:50 pm by Iloveotis

» Looks like my fostering days are over
Sheba - Labrador/Retriever X, Bitch (9-10 Years)  EmptySun Jul 07, 2013 4:38 am by Ria

» Denzil
Sheba - Labrador/Retriever X, Bitch (9-10 Years)  EmptyTue May 28, 2013 7:50 am by Jackie

» Nico - Rhodesian Ridgeback, Dog (3 Years)
Sheba - Labrador/Retriever X, Bitch (9-10 Years)  EmptyTue May 28, 2013 7:45 am by Jackie

» Walk on 26 May 2013 -Riverside walk from Blackstone, Bewdley to Arley and back
Sheba - Labrador/Retriever X, Bitch (9-10 Years)  EmptyFri May 24, 2013 8:22 pm by elka

» British Camp from Hollybush - circular walk will now take place on 28 April 2013
Sheba - Labrador/Retriever X, Bitch (9-10 Years)  EmptyMon Apr 08, 2013 6:56 am by Nina

» WALK CANCELLED
Sheba - Labrador/Retriever X, Bitch (9-10 Years)  EmptySun Mar 24, 2013 6:10 am by Angela

» Walk on 24 March 2013 British Camp from Hollybush - circular walk
Sheba - Labrador/Retriever X, Bitch (9-10 Years)  EmptySun Mar 24, 2013 6:08 am by Angela

» Wyre Forest - camping with the dogs
Sheba - Labrador/Retriever X, Bitch (9-10 Years)  EmptySat Feb 09, 2013 7:05 am by Angela

» The Royal Forrester, Callow Hill, Bewdley
Sheba - Labrador/Retriever X, Bitch (9-10 Years)  EmptySun Jan 27, 2013 3:12 am by Angela

» Food Aggression
Sheba - Labrador/Retriever X, Bitch (9-10 Years)  EmptyWed Jan 23, 2013 11:31 pm by Jackie

» Walk on Sunday 27 January 2013
Sheba - Labrador/Retriever X, Bitch (9-10 Years)  EmptyWed Jan 23, 2013 1:06 am by siandavis82

» Walk on Sunday 24 February 2013 - Yarpole Circular Route
Sheba - Labrador/Retriever X, Bitch (9-10 Years)  EmptyWed Jan 23, 2013 12:37 am by Ria

» Denzel - Working Cocker Spaniel, Dog (5 Years)
Sheba - Labrador/Retriever X, Bitch (9-10 Years)  EmptyTue Jan 22, 2013 9:57 pm by jesses mum

» Teeth
Sheba - Labrador/Retriever X, Bitch (9-10 Years)  EmptySun Jan 13, 2013 6:14 am by AnnieP

» mug house Bewdley
Sheba - Labrador/Retriever X, Bitch (9-10 Years)  EmptyWed Jan 09, 2013 3:31 am by Ria

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Sheba - Labrador/Retriever X, Bitch (9-10 Years)

+3
jesses mum
Julie
Administrator
7 posters

Go down

Sheba - Labrador/Retriever X, Bitch (9-10 Years)  Empty Sheba - Labrador/Retriever X, Bitch (9-10 Years)

Post  Administrator Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:07 pm

Sheba - Labrador/Retriever X, Bitch (9-10 Years)  Cimg0911

Last edited by Forest Dog Rescue on Tue Nov 29, 2011 3:02 am; edited 1 time in total

Administrator
Admin

http://www.forest-dog-rescue.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Sheba - Labrador/Retriever X, Bitch (9-10 Years)  Empty What a lovely little lady

Post  Julie Thu Nov 03, 2011 9:27 pm

Sheba is in foster with me in Gloucester at the moment. She came straight to me instead of going into kennels as they had Kennel Cough at the time.

Originally adopted from FDR almost 3 years ago she was handed in by her previous owners. The owner had taken a job and was out of the house for 13 hours some days, Sheba would live outside and with the winter coming on the family felt it would be best for her to be rehomed.

What a pathetic looking dog met me - she had no toys or blanket and she was dusty and "lost". For 3 days she never wagged even the end of her tail - I had wondered if she had damaged it as it never seemed to move. Her coat was all dusty (common for an outdoor dog) and she stank. I let her settle in the first day and put her in the bath on the second - she was as good as gold and I was confident that she would smell much nicer now .... WRONG! She still stank - it wasn't her breath - her teeth are in great condition for an older dog. I lifted one of her ears - fine ... I lifted the other and I almost threw up - the poor dog had an ear infection that was so bad that all of the inside of her ear is ulcerated. She has been on medication now for almost 2 weeks and it is still inflamed and looks like we will have to have a culture grown to find out how best to treat it.

Sheba has a fatty lump in her mammary area. Looking at how saggy her nipples are I am guessing that this poor girl was probably used for breeding prior to her first stay with the kennels. She has very little muscle mass on her back legs and the vet feels this is due to a prolonged lack of exercise but I am working on getting that built up. She is on metacam (an anti-inflammatory pain killer) to help ease her stiffness due to poor muscles and her age.

3 days after she came here and with lots of TLC she has turned into this wonderful dog who wags her tail as soon as you look at her - she loves to snuggle up on her blanket on the sofa (my dogs are not allowed on the sofa, but as she is lacking muscles and obviously an old girl I felt it only fair for her - she will always get off if you tell her to, and I am sure a nice plush and soft bed next to you would soon stop her needs for comfort if you prefer no dogs on the sofa).

I was told she hated other dogs and would chase cats. I did find that she would curl her lip at my 2 male dogs, who soon learned to keep out of her way if she was passing, but now there is complete harmony. She still rules the water bowl and they let her in and out of the door first, but there has never been any aggression shown from her towards them, or us. As for the cat - she wouldn't chase a cat if it was playing tag with her! ... she does not bother with my house cats, or rats and she is not remotely interested in my cages of pet rats. She is not used to being walked on a lead, which might explain why the old owners did not bring one with her as she tends to walk first on the left and then on the right - even at her ripe old age of 10ish she learns with food rewards and a shorter lead.

If you are looking for a quieter dog and don't have expectations of walking across the Malverns with your faithful friend then Sheba is the dog for you.

If you are looking to give a dog that has had a hard life some of the best love in her autumn years then Sheba is the dog for you.

If you are looking for a dog that will love you forever and have very few demands on you - then Sheba is definately your dog.

Please don't overlook her just because she is older than most of the dogs in kennels - she does look good for her age and will love you for ever.

Give Sheba a chance - that is all she has ever wanted.
Julie
Julie

http://www.belyaevrats.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Sheba - Labrador/Retriever X, Bitch (9-10 Years)  Empty Re: Sheba - Labrador/Retriever X, Bitch (9-10 Years)

Post  Julie Thu Nov 03, 2011 9:57 pm

Some photos:

Look at my lovely wavy and now shiny coat:

Sheba - Labrador/Retriever X, Bitch (9-10 Years)  CIMG0984

A ball ... my bestest toy in the whole wide world:

Sheba - Labrador/Retriever X, Bitch (9-10 Years)  CIMG1003

Come on Mum, throw it!

Sheba - Labrador/Retriever X, Bitch (9-10 Years)  CIMG0998

Don't worry - I can see it ... come to Sheba!

Sheba - Labrador/Retriever X, Bitch (9-10 Years)  CIMG0996

Sheba - Labrador/Retriever X, Bitch (9-10 Years)  CIMG0991

Sheba - Labrador/Retriever X, Bitch (9-10 Years)  CIMG0986

Sheba - Labrador/Retriever X, Bitch (9-10 Years)  CIMG0985
Julie
Julie

Back to top Go down

Sheba - Labrador/Retriever X, Bitch (9-10 Years)  Empty Queen of Sheba

Post  jesses mum Sat Nov 05, 2011 10:01 am

Oh Jules Sheeba looks an absolute picture, even with such a messed up ear...she has given me a lump in my throat because my last but one rescue was Martha an elderly lab x collie who gave my family some wonderful years of fun & love...when we had her she was "Aged," my vet said probably about 10..she was full of life loved her two hours of gentle rambles a day & woe betide you if you were late with tea!!!

Sheeba seems to have the same spirit so if you can offer her a home I am sure you will have the same joy I did in giving Martha a warm & cosy forever home.

jesses mum
Adopter

Back to top Go down

Sheba - Labrador/Retriever X, Bitch (9-10 Years)  Empty Sheba

Post  anne Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:01 pm

Melting everyones heart, what a perfect pal to have I love you

anne

Back to top Go down

Sheba - Labrador/Retriever X, Bitch (9-10 Years)  Empty Goodbye sweet girl

Post  Julie Tue Nov 29, 2011 2:17 am

As I watched you go Sheba you stole a little piece of my heart. You are now no doubt all cuddled up on the sofa with your new owners - it brings tears to my eyes that you found a home so quickly and that I know you will be happy.

Take care sweet puppy and have fun in your new home
Julie
Julie

Back to top Go down

Sheba - Labrador/Retriever X, Bitch (9-10 Years)  Empty Queen Sheba Sunshine..

Post  MooMore Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:29 am

Just to let everyone know that she is loving her new home...and I cannot believe how chilled she is...shes the most laid back lady I have ever met Sleep ...shes beautiful in every way...just what we have been waiting for...pictures will follow of Queen Sheba in her royal sunshine residence!...sunny

MooMore
Adopter

Back to top Go down

Sheba - Labrador/Retriever X, Bitch (9-10 Years)  Empty Re: Sheba - Labrador/Retriever X, Bitch (9-10 Years)

Post  Julie Tue Nov 29, 2011 7:23 pm

What a wonderful start to my day reading your post. Thank you so much for taking on Sheba, I will follow her antics with much joy. I keep walking into the living room expecting to see Sheba there but there is just an empty blanket still on the sofa. It is funny that I have missed her more than other dogs that are so much more noticeable by their actions - give her a big squeeze from her Aunty Jules and tell her I love her. x
Julie
Julie

Back to top Go down

Sheba - Labrador/Retriever X, Bitch (9-10 Years)  Empty From Sheba's new family....

Post  Ria Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:38 pm

Sheba - Labrador/Retriever X, Bitch (9-10 Years)  Sheba10

Just to let everyone know that I am happy in my lovely human home...I have three beds...which is good as apart from eating, sleep is my favourite occupation!!....I too have a family of daft humans who will roll over when I look at them with my big black eyes...I put on the soppy face and that makes them all go guey..but it means I get lots of fuss...I will let you all into that secret!...When parousing my domain of my palace...on my daily walk abouts...I have found that some disgusting humans have left chips and the odd sandwich in my grounds...which when the daft human isnt looking I try to insist on cleaning up...after all I am a Labrador...the walking dustbin of the cainine world!!...thats my job!!...Sadly though the humans seem to now be aware of this after catching me in the act last night!!!...So this pastime I think is probably now finished!!!...I do get everything I need though, food, shelter and most of all love and fuss!!!...Thank you to all of you at Forest Dog for making this possible!!!!!...I send licks, love and kisses...xxxxxx
Ria
Ria
Fosterer

http://www.cyclone-technology.com

Back to top Go down

Sheba - Labrador/Retriever X, Bitch (9-10 Years)  Empty Sadly Missed...

Post  MooMore Sat Jun 16, 2012 10:32 am

No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No

Sadly on 30th May Sheba (black Lab) fell asleep...sadly there was nothing else to be tried...without prolonging her pain...the sunshine sparkle in her eyes had gone...she was extremely tired...but I am thankful we had her beautiful presence for six months...always remembered and never to be forgotten...a beautiful black, soft, soppy labrador with a big heart...

MooMore
Adopter

Back to top Go down

Sheba - Labrador/Retriever X, Bitch (9-10 Years)  Empty So sorry...

Post  Ria Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:33 am

Oh, poor Sheba. I am so happy that she spent her final months with you. You are a star to have taken her and made her life so comfortable. So sad for your loss. Sad Sad
Ria
Ria
Fosterer

http://www.cyclone-technology.com

Back to top Go down

Post  carol pearson Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:41 am

very sorry to hear your news but you did a wonderful thing giving a beautuful dog a loving safe home even though it was only for a short time. You should be proud of what you did for her. xx

carol pearson

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down